Author Topic: [GB] CNC Alum. Cooler Master "Norbatouch" TKL cases r2.5, SHIPPED/MANUFACTURING  (Read 104906 times)

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
This case won't work with a Realforce 87U, will it? I just bought a Norbatouch thinking it was a Norbaforce lol. Stupid mistake since those are still in manufacturing phase.

No it won't.

Offline tanvir175

This case won't work with a Realforce 87U, will it? I just bought a Norbatouch thinking it was a Norbaforce lol. Stupid mistake since those are still in manufacturing phase.

No it won't.

Alright, thanks! Do you happen to know of any PCB's that work with the case or will I have to get a CM Pro S or CM Novatouch?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"

No it won't.

Alright, thanks! Do you happen to know of any PCB's that work with the case or will I have to get a CM Pro S or CM Novatouch?

you will have to get a pro M or NT
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline tanvir175

No it won't.

you will have to get a pro M or NT

That's a bummer. Thanks! Pretty sure it's Pro S, though. Pro M is pretty different.

Offline TheEerieCold

Oh man... I saw new posts in this thread and got excited... oh well.
Matrix Abel+ Ver.Dark / Matrix 8XV2.0 (Red) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Blue) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Caustic Custom) / Matrix Noah / Matrix Abel X RX-178 Ver.CA / Matrix 8XV2.0 ADD (Silver) / Matrix Falcon (Nebula) / Matrix Vita (McFlurry) / Matrix ME SE (McFlurry)

Offline funkybeat7

Hi Ryan,

Do you think I can get my hopes up for next week? With regards to the RR cases that is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline raylus

• http://james.engineer
Oh man... I saw new posts in this thread and got excited... oh well.

same here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
Hi Ryan,

Do you think I can get my hopes up for next week? With regards to the RR cases that is

Probably not next week but perhaps a week or two thereafter. Sorry if I already said this here in the thread before, but I've decided to send the Retros up to a new shop I've found up in SF. They're even more expensive than the other place and they're kind of a long drive for me, but they're the only other shop I've been able to find in the Bay Area that understands how (and cares) to do a consumer-grade finish.

So far, based on my test runs, they tend to take on average a week or two longer than their promised timelines, but that's about ten (!) times faster than the other shop at this point, so I'm starting to move the remaining batches up there. It's a bit of a delicate situation because the cases themselves are at the first shop still and have already been bead-blasted and prepped there. But they realize they've kind of utterly failed me on this project in terms of turnaround times and understand that I want to start moving some of the work elsewhere as a result.

The new shop is finishing up the final Space Station cases for me this week and I'm taking the remaining Retros up there to be coated next, either this afternoon or Monday morning. The other shop has been sitting on those for like two months now. >_< And I've been bugging them just about every other day during this whole period.

My current plan is that the purples will still be done by the first shop, as I already paid for and shipped that special powder order to them. However, I'll bail on them for even that if it ends up taking more than a week or two longer.

In case anybody wonders why I charge so much for the powder finishes, this is why. ;) If they weren't so cool, I'd stop offering them altogether in future projects, but when I finally do get the parts back, I always get a giddy thrill about how cool they look (especially the textured ones), which makes me want to persist.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 April 2018, 16:47:24 by norbauer »

Offline funkybeat7

Hi Ryan,

Probably not next week but perhaps a week or two thereafter. Sorry if I already said this here in the thread before, but I've decided to send the Retros up to a new shop I've found up in SF. They're even more expensive than the other place and they're kind of a long drive for me, but they're the only other shop I've been able to find in the Bay Area that understands how (and cares) to do a consumer-grade finish.

So far, based on my test runs, they tend to take on average a week or two longer than their promised timelines, but that's about ten (!) times faster than the other shop at this point, so I'm starting to move the remaining batches up there. It's a bit of a delicate situation because the cases themselves are at the first shop still and have already been bead-blasted and prepped there. But they realize they've kind of utterly failed me on this project in terms of turnaround times and understand that I want to start moving some of the work elsewhere as a result.

The new shop is finishing up the final Space Station cases for me this week and I'm taking the remaining Retros up there to be coated next, either this afternoon or Monday morning. The other shop has been sitting on those for like two months now. >_< And I've been bugging them just about every other day during this whole period.

My current plan is that the purples will still be done by the first shop, as I already paid for and shipped that special powder order to them. However, I'll bail on them for even that if it ends up taking more than a week or two longer.

In case anybody wonders why I charge so much for the powder finishes, this is why. ;) If they weren't so cool, I'd stop offering them altogether in future projects, but when I finally do get the parts back, I always get a giddy thrill about how cool they look (especially the textured ones), which makes me want to persist.

Yea I understand, I knew you were moving the RR cases and another color to the new shop but didn't know what logistics were involved so I was curious. Either way i'll be patient since I've seen the finished product in person before so I'm okay with waiting. Thanks for the prompt response!  :thumb:

Offline syke

These cases needs to be mass produced... too much demand, too little supply

Offline Artist

• A Fine Architect to be!

YES, I am still in need of one, in case anybody want to pass over their case please PM me.
Tks a lot!

Offline syke

Likewise, anyone wants to let go of one, PM me!!!!!!!

Offline norbauer

I am amazed that there is still so much desire for this housing, which only fits discontinued and utterly hard-to-find keyboards, but I still hear so often from people that want them that I'd consider (yet another!) another small run within the next month or so. Perhaps I might do it to coincide with my Heavy-6 group buy so I can ship them together. However, I am still waiting to ship out the last few powder coat colors from r2.5 and, just as a point of personal honor, I really don't feel right running another group buy until at least I've finished and shipped out the preceding round. But stayed tuned. I'll announce on my email list if and when I do round of these and of course will post a thread here too.

On the subject of powder coat, I'll likely drastically reduce the number of powder coat colors available to the two most popular from subsequent rounds (retro refrigerator and one of the enigmas, likely). I still adore the powder coat finishes, but they really consume a huge amount of time from me to get done and coordinate, and they cause a lot of delays—due to the, shall we say, somewhat "informal" approach that powder coating shops seem take to schedules and work organization. I can't believe I still have a few people waiting for their powder coated cases from r2.5, and that is a source of some guilt on my part that I would rather avoid in future. :) Fortunately, I've switched to a new powder coater that seems to have much better turnaround times and the same or better quality, but they are more of a production shop and can't work in really small numbers, so I'll have to converge on fewer powder finish options if I do decide to do another run of these—for better or worse. 

Thanks anyway, everyone, for still liking and wanting this first design of mine. I am a little puzzled, but flattered, and I'll do my best to accommodate if possible. :D

Offline macclack

• Macclack

I am amazed that there is still so much desire for this housing, which only fits discontinued and utterly hard-to-find keyboards, but I still hear so often from people that want them that I'd consider (yet another!) another small run within the next month or so. Perhaps I might do it to coincide with my Heavy-6 group buy so I can ship them together. However, I am still waiting to ship out the last few powder coat colors from r2.5 and, just as a point of personal honor, I really don't feel right running another group buy until at least I've finished and shipped out the preceding round. But stayed tuned. I'll announce on my email list if and when I do round of these and of course will post a thread here too.

On the subject of powder coat, I'll likely drastically reduce the number of powder coat colors available to the two most popular from subsequent rounds (retro refrigerator and one of the enigmas, likely). I still adore the powder coat finishes, but they really consume a huge amount of time from me to get done and coordinate, and they cause a lot of delays—due to the, shall we say, somewhat "informal" approach that powder coating shops seem take to schedules and work organization. I can't believe I still have a few people waiting for their powder coated cases from r2.5, and that is a source of some guilt on my part that I would rather avoid in future. :) Fortunately, I've switched to a new powder coater that seems to have much better turnaround times and the same or better quality, but they are more of a production shop and can't work in really small numbers, so I'll have to converge on fewer powder finish options if I do decide to do another run of these—for better or worse. 

Thanks anyway, everyone, for still liking and wanting this first design of mine. I am a little puzzled, but flattered, and I'll do my best to accommodate if possible. :D

Honestly I'm not that surprised. These things are reaching near legendary status based on comments I see. I absolutely love mine. 

Offline valniro

R3? YES PLEASE!!!!!!

IBM Model M

CM Novatouch
BKE REDUX
Heavy

CM Novatouch

Realforce R2
PFU Limited

GH60 ANSI

Offline TheEerieCold

Speaking of 2.5, does that mean you have plans to move all powdercoat cases to this new shop to have them completed that you didn't already mention above? It seems like your original shop doesn't care about these ever getting done. I remember you saying just about everything was moving to the new shop except purple & retro due to prep work already being done and the cases just waiting to be completed. Is that still the case? May 10th marked the 8th month for this GB and I'm sure you're just as ready for it to conclude as the rest of us. You deserve a medal and a nice break for this much BS.
Matrix Abel+ Ver.Dark / Matrix 8XV2.0 (Red) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Blue) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Caustic Custom) / Matrix Noah / Matrix Abel X RX-178 Ver.CA / Matrix 8XV2.0 ADD (Silver) / Matrix Falcon (Nebula) / Matrix Vita (McFlurry) / Matrix ME SE (McFlurry)

Offline norbauer

Speaking of 2.5, does that mean you have plans to move all powdercoat cases to this new shop to have them completed that you didn't already mention above? It seems like your original shop doesn't care about these ever getting done. I remember you saying just about everything was moving to the new shop except purple & retro due to prep work already being done and the cases just waiting to be completed. Is that still the case?

Yes, I've been migrating the last few finishes over right now to the new shop, but FWIW the old shop did finally finish up the purple ones while I was away in Boston. (I was back in Massachusetts for the last two weeks getting my house there ready to sell, so apologies that I may have been less responsive than usual.)

I'm sure you're just as ready for it to conclude as the rest of us. You deserve a medal and a nice break for this much BS.

Hehe. I don't know about my deserving a medal, but you guys who are still waiting for cases certainly deserve recognition for being so ridiculously patient as I've worked through the issues with these powder coaters dragging their heels. It's a great consolation to me how happy everyone is when they finally get their powder finishes, but it really bothers me keeping people waiting, especially since the vast, vast majority were shipped out literally months ago. =\

Regarding your other point, I really don't know what happened with the first shop, but you're right that they "just don't care about these ever getting done" is probably the best way to put it. I even started to pay them extra per unit just to try to convince them to turn parts around faster or more reliably, to no avail. I think they just got bored of doing keyboard cases or something (they're mostly focused on vintage cars). They were doing pretty well for a while but then just completely stalled out for like six weeks and delivered me zero cases during the period, despite my constant urging. They started the trickle again subsequently, but I quickly realized after that it was time to start looking for a new vendor.

Fortunately, it looks like we're back in powder motion again, however, with the new place. And just in time, since I have a huge pile of Norbaforces headed my way soon. Assuming that cases I pick up on Monday don't have any problems, then I think the only thing we have left are a couple of one-off stragglers and Venice Beach.

Phew.

Offline TheEerieCold

Speaking of 2.5, does that mean you have plans to move all powdercoat cases to this new shop to have them completed that you didn't already mention above? It seems like your original shop doesn't care about these ever getting done. I remember you saying just about everything was moving to the new shop except purple & retro due to prep work already being done and the cases just waiting to be completed. Is that still the case?

Yes, I've been migrating the last few finishes over right now to the new shop, but FWIW the old shop did finally finish up the purple ones while I was away in Boston. (I was back in Massachusetts for the last two weeks getting my house there ready to sell, so apologies that I may have been less responsive than usual.)

Show Image

You have no idea how much that picture excites me.

Offline funkybeat7

Show Image

I'm sure you're just as ready for it to conclude as the rest of us. You deserve a medal and a nice break for this much BS.

Hehe. I don't know about my deserving a medal, but you guys who are still waiting for cases certainly deserve recognition for being so ridiculously patient as I've worked through the issues with these powder coaters dragging their heels. It's a great consolation to me how happy everyone is when they finally get their powder finishes, but it really bothers me keeping people waiting, especially since the vast, vast majority were shipped out literally months ago. =\

Regarding your other point, I really don't know what happened with the first shop, but you're right that they "just don't care about these ever getting done" is probably the best way to put it. I even started to pay them extra per unit just to try to convince them to turn parts around faster or more reliably, to no avail. I think they just got bored of doing keyboard cases or something (they're mostly focused on vintage cars). They were doing pretty well for a while but then just completely stalled out for like six weeks and delivered me zero cases during the period, despite my constant urging. They started the trickle again subsequently, but I quickly realized after that it was time to start looking for a new vendor.

Fortunately, it looks like we're back in powder motion again, however, with the new place. And just in time, since I have a huge pile of Norbaforces headed my way soon. Assuming that cases I pick up on Monday don't have any problems, then I think the only thing we have left are a couple of one-off stragglers and Venice Beach.

Phew.

Retro Refrigerator and Aerospace come to me!

Offline dantambok

Does anyone want to let go of their slot? I badly need one. :(
Stuff  I have
More
2x TGR Alice / TGR 910 RE / TGR 910 CE / TGR 910 VKC / 2x TGR Jane V2 / 2x Matrix 2.0 / Matrix 2.2 / Matrix 1.2OG / Lyn Whale v2 / Lyn EM7 v3 / DK Saver / Keycult No. 1/60 /  Quantrik Hachi /  Quantrik  Kyuu / Duck Orion V2 / TGRxSinga Unikorn R1 / 2x Unikorn 2.2 / Quantrik QXP /  JER80 / TMO50 / 2x 86u / ION i69 / LZ MP / 2x FMJ80 / TGR Jane V2 CE / Matrix Project F / IDB60 / is0  / MXSS / Atom TKL / Duck Viper v3 / HBCP / Noxary 280 / LZ Physix / FLX Virgo / Modern M0110 / Matrix 2.0 ADD / TGR Police / Noxary XRF / Noxary Vulcan Pro / 350 Mimi / Matrix 2.0CP / Kira80 / Exent 65% / FMJ60 / Haus 65 / Kikuichimonji / Cake 60 / 2x AU Unikorn  Commission/ LZ XE / Paraluman 60 / AI03 Andromeda / Dalco 959 Mini GT / LZ Erghost /  Finder Works Hyphen / 2x Singa Kohaku / Linworks EM8 / GAFxTGR 910 / TGRxKLC Dolice / TGR 910v2 ME / Noxary Valhalla / Hiney Ibis / LZ REs / PerryWorks MC65 / Hiney Poly TKL One / RS60 / Zekk RBB / QK80 / Keycult No 2 TKL / FLX Virgo r2 / Matrix Navi

Coming --   Lynx50 (wixx scammed us) / Ladybird60 / JJW Derivative / TGR Shi

100+ GMK sets

Offline syke

Speaking of 2.5, does that mean you have plans to move all powdercoat cases to this new shop to have them completed that you didn't already mention above? It seems like your original shop doesn't care about these ever getting done. I remember you saying just about everything was moving to the new shop except purple & retro due to prep work already being done and the cases just waiting to be completed. Is that still the case? May 10th marked the 8th month for this GB and I'm sure you're just as ready for it to conclude as the rest of us. You deserve a medal and a nice break for this much BS.

Please have the Tactical Black, Enigma Gray, Tactical Gray (No Brushed), Retro Refrigerator, Warm Gray or Aerospace Aluminium available for the next round. I am looking to cop at least 2 cases and any combination of those few would be perfect.

Offline Peiweisgreat

Show Image

You have no idea how much that picture excites me.

I feel you on that one my man, the wait for our cases have been killer. At least we can trust someone like Ryan to make sure everything comes out immaculate. I'm sure when all of us get our cases we will see that the wait was worth it.

Offline HighNoon

Finally! Astrophysical purple arrives Monday! It still beat GMK Laser to the finish line so all is well.

Offline Peiweisgreat

Got hit with this while I was at work. Boy oh boy I can't wait to get home.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 May 2018, 16:24:31 by Peiweisgreat »

Offline TheEerieCold

The wait is finally over! I've been so excited for this moment ever since I placed my order. Put R6 Violett Cream on it until Laser arrives, also had to include some GAF. This case is very difficult to take photos of... the purple looks much closer to the mods in person.

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
The wait is finally over! I've been so excited for this moment ever since I placed my order. Put R6 Violett Cream on it until Laser arrives, also had to include some GAF. This case is very difficult to take photos of... the purple looks much closer to the mods in person.

Show Image

Astrophysical Purple looks awesome :)
Good to see it in the wild at last.

Offline TheEerieCold

Yeah, I'm having fun  :D

Offline raylus

Thanks Ryan!

Offline raylus

Offline Peiweisgreat

195881-0
Yeah, I'm having fun  :D

Show Image

We did it my dude they are here and they are beautiful!

Offline Rumblehotep

Is there a german word for Sharp Intake of Breath at Seeing the Perfect Shade of Purple?
There should be.

Offline macclack

• Macclack
Show Image

Space Station looks great with XDA Godspeed caps.  :thumb:

Offline autobot

:drool:

The wait was really worth it. Bravo, norbauer!

Wow, just wow...can't wait for my Venice Beach case!

Astro Purp will get MasterKeys Pro S RGB w/red switches. Venice will get blue switches (make it sound as loud as it looks!).

The wait for Laser will be agonizing...

One step closer to this...
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 May 2018, 11:58:52 by autobot »

Offline autobot

edit - mods please delete

Offline FSund

This case is from round 1, but just wanted to share some photos of my daily driver

196187-0
196189-1
196191-2
196193-3
Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

Offline HighNoon

Got my astrophysical purple set up! I did notice that the pcb/plate rattles around in the housing a bit. Definitely more noisy than my Enigma Gray case. Not sure what the difference would be. Anyone else experience this? Have a good solution? For now I just jammed a piece of paper in the gap between the pcb/plate and the case but that feels kinda jank on such an expensive board.

« Last Edit: Wed, 23 May 2018, 22:13:54 by HighNoon »

Offline norbauer

Got my astrophysical purple set up! I did notice that the pcb/plate rattles around in the housing a bit. Definitely more noisy than my Enigma Gray case. Not sure what the difference would be. Anyone else experience this? Have a good solution? For now I just jammed a piece of paper in the gap between the pcb/plate and the case but that feels kinda jank on such an expensive board.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

This is intentional, to accommodate observed variations in tolerances between Cooler Master plates. Easily solved by placing a strip of shelf liner along the little shelf where the plate edge sits.

Also: are you using the flanged plate hold-down screws?

Offline HighNoon

Wow that was a fast reply, thanks Norbauer. Yes I am using all the screws including the flanged plate hold-down screws.

I'll see if I can find some shelf liner, thanks. Did you change any tolerances between r2 and r2.5? My gray is from R2 (well kinda 2.5) and the purple is obviously R2.5.

Just out of curiosity I put my Hyperfuse board in the gray case and it was perfect, but the Carbon board shook around a little bit in the purple case.

Offline norbauer

Wow that was a fast reply, thanks Norbauer. Yes I am using all the screws including the flanged plate hold-down screws.

I'll see if I can find some shelf liner, thanks. Did you change any tolerances between r2 and r2.5? My gray is from R2 (well kinda 2.5) and the purple is obviously R2.5.

Just out of curiosity I put my Hyperfuse board in the gray case and it was perfect, but the Carbon board shook around a little bit in the purple case.

The dimensions are actually the same across all runs.

Remember that enigma gray is a texture finish and purple a relatively smooth one, so that may also account for some of the difference.

But in general there is just some variation between CM plates that I had to account for in that ledge size. Fortunately on boards where the plate is a bit smaller, the foam shelf liner trick works perfectly. I’ve had to do that on a couple of mine. I also put it in the whole bottom of the case too and I feel like it improves the sound generally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HighNoon

I figured the dimensions would be the same. I think you nailed it with the texture vs. smooth thing. That has to play a small part in the fit of the plate. I'm not even sure the gap in my purple case is large enough to stick shelf liner in there but I'll try. I'll also try some in the bottom of the case, thanks for the suggestion.

I love the color and finish of the case. Thanks for a great product as always!

Also I saw there's a R3 on your site... did this happen already and I missed it?

Offline TheEerieCold

So I figured I'd drop a suggestion for anyone who wants to reduce noise and have a more solid feeling board. Instead of using shelf liner I'd suggest using Audimate's Peacemaker sound barrier material. It's a rubber material that's just the right amount of thickness that also provides some noise reduction. I've been using it for a few days, and so far it's been great. The only drawback is the smell which does go away after time. I let the material air out a bit before putting it into the case, don't smell anything now. It's a relatively cheap material you can buy directly from their website.

https://www.audimute.com/peacemaker-soundproof-sound-deadening-insulation
The cheapest option on their site is more than enough for 4 or 5 cases.

Offline HighNoon

Thanks for the suggestion! I definitely want to add some kind of dampening material to my cases (and also my K-Type) but have seen a lot of different recommendations regarding material including shelf liner, sorbothane, silver stone foam, and now this audimute foam. Can anyone that’s used some or all of these provide some insight into what the best option is? Is there even much of a difference?

Offline macclack

• Macclack
Thanks for the suggestion! I definitely want to add some kind of dampening material to my cases (and also my K-Type) but have seen a lot of different recommendations regarding material including shelf liner, sorbothane, silver stone foam, and now this audimute foam. Can anyone that’s used some or all of these provide some insight into what the best option is? Is there even much of a difference?

My understanding of sorbothane is that it's better used for applications where something is sitting directly on it to reduce vibration noise, like a noisy generator or electric motor. It's not necessarily better than other materials at reducing the acoustics created by a hollowed out space like a keyboard case, other than just reducing the amount of empty space. I say that because it's fairly expensive. 

I used some very inexpensive foam material purchased from Michael's and it worked fairly well. Here's a photo of the application: https://imgur.com/a/jhhKI

Offline HighNoon

My understanding of sorbothane is that it's better used for applications where something is sitting directly on it to reduce vibration noise, like a noisy generator or electric motor. It's not necessarily better than other materials at reducing the acoustics created by a hollowed out space like a keyboard case, other than just reducing the amount of empty space. I say that because it's fairly expensive. 

I used some very inexpensive foam material purchased from Michael's and it worked fairly well. Here's a photo of the application: https://imgur.com/a/jhhKI

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize sorbothane was expensive but you're definitely right... at least compared to normal foam.  I think I'll try some of the SilveStone foam and see how that works.

I assume people use SF01 since it is flat as opposed to SF02 which has an egg crate pattern?

SF01: https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=270&area=en

SF02: https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=715&area=en

Offline TheEerieCold

Do keep in mind that the Audimute Peacemaker isn't foam, it's hybrid rubber material so the sound reduction, while minimal, is probably better than a foam material. It also adds an extra bit of weight over the foams which I think contributes to the "solid" feeling overall and has a tad more grip so there is less movement of the plate. Highly recommended for the price, plus the shipping was free.

Offline norbauer

Quick update.

Firstly, thanks to all who posted the awesome Astrophysical Purple pics. I'm gratified that everyone else is as happy with how those came out as I am.

I sent out the last of the Retro Refrigerator cases this week—unfortunately had to cancel a couple of those orders (always in the sequence in which they were placed) because I got a few back with minor cosmetic issues, and simply wouldn't feel right having to ask those two or three people to have to wait another 3-4 weeks while I got them stripped and recoated. The last handful of cases from r2.5 are Venice Beach, which I'm slated to get back and ship next week. I've gotten into a pretty good rhythm with the new powder coating shop, and I think it's going to work out well going forward.

Also, because I (astonishingly), keep getting emails asking if I'll do another run, I've put up an IC to gauge interest. I'm not quite sure we could hit the MOQs, but frankly I'm always surprised by people's interest in and enthusiasm for my stuff, so we'll see.  :rolleyes:

Offline razor_blade

Quick update.

Firstly, thanks to all who posted the awesome Astrophysical Purple pics. I'm gratified that everyone else is as happy with how those came out as I am.

I sent out the last of the Retro Refrigerator cases this week—unfortunately had to cancel a couple of those orders (always in the sequence in which they were placed) because I got a few back with minor cosmetic issues, and simply wouldn't feel right having to ask those two or three people to have to wait another 3-4 weeks while I got them stripped and recoated. The last handful of cases from r2.5 are Venice Beach, which I'm slated to get back and ship next week. I've gotten into a pretty good rhythm with the new powder coating shop, and I think it's going to work out well going forward.

Also, because I (astonishingly), keep getting emails asking if I'll do another run, I've put up an IC to gauge interest. I'm not quite sure we could hit the MOQs, but frankly I'm always surprised by people's interest in and enthusiasm for my stuff, so we'll see.  :rolleyes:

I'm hoping that my Retro Refrigerator + Novatouch from Originative wasn't on that list! OH NOES!!!

Offline norbauer

Quick update.

I'm hoping that my Retro Refrigerator + Novatouch from Originative wasn't on that list! OH NOES!!!

I think it was actually only three orders total that I had to cancel, but unfortunately one of them was Originative's order, which included more than one unit.

It's kind of a long story, but in case you're curious, I'll give you all the details. The situation is probably also a big part of why the r2.5 cases took as long as they did in the first place. The first batch of r2.5 Retros I got back from the old powder shop had some cosmetic flaws on the powder coat surface. I told the shop that the quality wasn't up to the standards of us keyboard nerds, and they said they understood and would strip and refinish them. They seemed fine with this at the time, but I think they must have been secretly frustrated or resentful of it or something, because from that point forward they started dragging their heels and taking forever to turn around parts to me. (A job that was supposed to take 1-2 weeks literally dragged on for months, and eventually their work on the cases more or less just ground to a halt.) This is always the tricky dance when working with shops on keyboard projects. I am generally very picky about finishes and details (and I have to be, because so are all of you :p). This is all good and well and I have no intention of changing on that front, but there is always the risk of alienating the shop and having them give up on us in frustration at our "impossible standards," especially since keyboard projects are usually minuscule quantities for most production shops and thus sort of already on the border of being worth it for many vendors. (I usually have to cajole and negotiate primarily on the issue of lowering MOQs.)

Anyway, as mentioned in previous posts, I recently transitioned to another powder shop after searching long and hard for another that could do equivalent or better quality work. They turned around all the cases I shipped recently, such as the purples and whites, within their promised timelines (an extreme rarity for any powder shop!) and the quality was great. However, the batch of refinished Retros I got back had the same cosmetic issues as before. After some significant amount of investigation and experimentation with the new shop, we've been able to form a pretty good hypothesis as to what was happening on those. The new shop posits that the old one was using contaminated blast media. I thought maybe this was just a cop out and an excuse to blame somebody else. However, this week we conducted a test where we coated, side-by-side, an anodized case and one of the blasted cases from the old shop. The anodized case came out perfectly but the case blasted by the old shop had the same cosmetic issues as all the others before. This would seem to support the hypothesis.

As such, I think no amount of stripping and refinishing the new cases is going to solve the problem, so I've just had to declare "powder-coat bankruptcy" on those and I think I'm just going to have to scrap those parts. I sent a message (and refund) to Sheraton last night saying as much. If he wants to get some more cases in any potential next round with fresh parts, I'll be happy to make them for him, but I just couldn't in good conscience ask anyone to wait longer while still holding onto their money.

It really pains me to have to not be able to supply and cancel even a single order, but fortunately I've only had to do this in less than like 1% of orders ever, so even though I spent a lot of time talking about when things go wrong, don't get the wrong impression: it's actually vanishingly rare. As you can see from the thread above and all the previous GB threads, the vast, vast majority of GB participants got their cases long ago and seem quite happy. :)

Offline boxfrommoon

It is finally here! This was a round 2 replacement case so wait was quite long but totally worth it. The astrophysical purple case is beautiful! It is hard to describe how excited I am to finally rock this with my NovaTouch. (Semi) glossy metallic flecked finish is literally out of this world! Even though there were problems with my original order and then long delays with powder coating my replacement case Norbauer handled all of that exceptionally well. He was always answering questions and sending updated via email or posting here. If someone ever thinks whether to join Norbauer GB, you should not be worried at all. He took care of everything very professionally because he really cares about this community.

Thank you Ryan! Now I have something truly special sitting on my work desk!

NovaTouch is modded with BKE Redux Light domes and hyperspheres, GMK Plum modifiers + GMK HyperFuse Redux alphas

Offline norbauer

He was always answering questions and sending updated via email or posting here. If someone ever thinks whether to join Norbauer GB, you should not be worried at all. He took care of everything very professionally because he really cares about this community.

That really means a lot to me; thank you so much! I try my best, and I'm always working on getting better.

Love the pics, love the bokeh, btw.  :D