Author Topic: UPS and active PFC PSU  (Read 3414 times)

Offline typo

UPS and active PFC PSU
« on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 02:55:06 »
I have a number of pure sinewave UPS. I prefer one on a particular high end Music server. It has an active PFC PSU. This ups is simulated. So why bother? It has an IEC input socket. So I can use a crazy Audiophile cord. We do not need to get into that :) I have ran it on battery repeatedly and no problem, no buzzing.

Everywhere it states that a PFC PSU must be fed by pure sinewave if one chooses to use a UPS. On this it is important not to lose data.
I was just wondering why it may be working and if I am looking for trouble In the long run?

Unless anyone knows of a small(500-760VA) UPS pure sinewave with an IEC input. If I really must be using it. I do not understand since I unplugged this multiple times over a period of Three weeks and no problems whatsoever. Don't know if I am tempting fate. Or the manufacturers have solved this problem so people do not need to use a $500+ UPS. This is a very recent build.

Thanks Guy's

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: UPS and active PFC PSU
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 10:59:34 »
They use big toroidals, rectifier , and big cap for a reason..    That is by far the cleanest power chain you can get..

Anything digital, especially digital rectification gets complicated and potentially noisy... unless it's TESTED at the output stage with professional audio system analyzer,  Whatever a HUMAN, proclaims to hear is all a bit weeble-wobble

Unless your house is just too old w/ severe brown out or surge issues,   Can't imagine a g4m3r ups product sounding better than a properly designed amp straight into the wall..

ups product--- untested

amp/ receiver --- Tested. (big box brands,  none of that weird artisan EE student maker crap)  hahaha..

Offline typo

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 13:55:02 »
Indeed. I am one of the few so called Audiophiles that feel amps plugged into the wall sound best. digital as you said may need some conditioning. However I am speaking of a PC computer here! It is streaming audio but it is not audio equipment. It is a PC. Apparently these new fangled PSU's with PFC must have a pure sinewave fed to them as is wall power. Of course I want backup on this. I have tried a so called simulated sinewave UPS repeatedly with no issue. Of course I do not want it to fail at the worst time. If I have not damaged it already. I do not think so. Many people put a UPS on a PC, Router Etc. Especially one holding expensive data. People are split on the PFC deal. These would be new PSU's for PC's. It is said they must be fed a pure sinewave at all times. Of course they say the same thing about a LCD monitor. This is not my experience. You can power these things with a $30 UPS from Walmart. I wouldn't go that far but a $200 one should be fine even if it does not provide pure sinewave. I do not see a need or think most people will buy a $500+ UPS for home use. The Cyber Power ones that claim to be pure sinewave are in fact not. I really think if I have tested it many times with no ill effect it should be fine. I gues for anyone else YMMV. Since people said their equipment exploded with non sinewave UPS. As for the cord that is not really the issue, the cost of a new enterprise UPS is!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 13:58:43 »
Don't use analogue out on a pc..  that's asking for trouble.. hahahahaha..

use Optical out.. or usb with proper galvanic isolation circuitry.

Offline typo

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 22:10:56 »
Of course now days they are using usb with optical isolation boxes. I was talking about how everyone says you cannot use a cheap UPS with the most modern computers. They say it will fry it but not my experience. Put 15 year old $35 UPS and it works fine. It is not slowly destroying it. It is supposed to be poof if it does not like the UPS. This is moot now anyways. For the sake of it I got a good used UPS cheap. You can pick up APC Smart-Ups used for $75.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 22:38:24 »
Of course now days they are using usb with optical isolation boxes. I was talking about how everyone says you cannot use a cheap UPS with the most modern computers. They say it will fry it but not my experience. Put 15 year old $35 UPS and it works fine. It is not slowly destroying it. It is supposed to be poof if it does not like the UPS. This is moot now anyways. For the sake of it I got a good used UPS cheap. You can pick up APC Smart-Ups used for $75.

I've not had any blow up.

But I did have an issue with it affecting high overclocks.. where the ups connected would cause bluescreens, while it was fully stable directly connected to the wall..  this was on older psus though.  it had pfc,  but it probably wasn't as clean/tolerant as the latest and greatest

Offline typo

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 14 September 2017, 02:35:35 »
That is a non sinewave unit that sometimes prevents high overclocks.

So I got a much better ups. It has a captive cord. I can live with that. To my dismay the software is not nearly as advanced as the 20 year old cheap ups. I figure as long as it shuts it down, fine. It would be nice to see the AC frequency,voltage Etc. both on and off battery. This new software has my load at zero. It is so low it probably does not read it. This is a monster machine but at idle it steps down to using almost no power. Both Intel and AMD by now know a trick or two.

Offline typo

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 14 September 2017, 23:15:36 »
You know if you only run it 2 minutes to gracefully shutdown a simulated sinewave should be fine on a pfc psu. Heck they say simulated cannot run aquarium equipment, motors Etc. I have had one working for hours. I might go back to the old ups. This was a waste of money imo.