Author Topic: KeyCaps for Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard  (Read 6622 times)

Offline psiclone

KeyCaps for Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard
« on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 12:33:43 »
Maybe this would be more appropriate here.  I’m trying to figure out what keycaps will fit a Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard.  I ordered the keyboard without the switches and keycaps, so that I could put my own in, but I can’t find anywhere where it’s mentioned the keycap sizing.

Re: KeyCaps for Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 14:02:06 »
You may get some better answers from the thread itself : https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=84003.0;topicseen

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

Offline psiclone

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 14:42:59 »
I obviously didn't communicate this well.  What I'm after are the space bar sizing, the shift key sizing, etc.  Obviously, I can't just buy any keycap set and expect it to fit.  I get these have cherry stems, but the sizing is going to make a difference.  In other words, I can't expect a 6.5u spacebar keycap to fit on a 6.25u keyboard.  I knew they sold their own keycaps, but I don't want those.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 September 2017, 14:45:26 by psiclone »

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 14:53:04 »
I obviously didn't communicate this well.  What I'm after are the space bar sizing, the shift key sizing, etc.  Obviously, I can't just buy any keycap set and expect it to fit.  I get these have cherry stems, but the sizing is going to make a difference.  In other words, I can't expect a 6.5u spacebar keycap to fit on a 6.25u keyboard.  I knew they sold their own keycaps, but I don't want those.

They look like standard CTRL,ALT,Space, and shift keys from what I see, you only really get special when its a TX-CP or another 96 key keyboard, or even some of the 60-80% layouts. I could be wrong though, but I think theyre standard and should be included with any base kit.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 14:55:22 »

Right so 'Standard' typically means just that, a 6.25u spacebar is standard.

also found in their FAQ

Is there a standard bottom row? Can I use other keycap sets?

Yes standard bottom row, and standard layout. Any MX style keycap with standard layout will work fine.

They don't give specific key sizes but standard should mean standard so any keycap set that fits a standard board will work.

Also here http://www.anandtech.com/show/10665/glorious-pc-gmmk-brn-keyboard-review/2

The Glorious GMMK-BRN is a standard 104 keys ANSI layout keyboard with a 6.25× Spacebar and seven 1.25× bottom row keys.

Also this is a standard 104 layout courtesy of maxkeyboard website

« Last Edit: Mon, 11 September 2017, 14:59:03 by SpAmRaY »

Offline psiclone

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 14:59:36 »
Turns out it was in their FAQ...I just missed it, somehow:

Is there a standard bottom row? Can I use other keycap sets?

Yes standard bottom row, and standard layout. Any MX style keycap with standard layout will work fine.

This means that the bottom row is (for anyone else who might be wondering):

(1.25)(1.25(1.25)(6.25)(1.25)(1.25)(1.25)(1.25)

Offline SpecTP

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 13 September 2017, 17:08:56 »
I have several builds of the GMMK and I've used both DSA and SA MX keycaps. They all work fine.