Author Topic: PSA: Massdrop account hacked, please check yours  (Read 2655 times)

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
PSA: Massdrop account hacked, please check yours
« on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 13:35:27 »
tl;dr: My massdrop account was hacked. Email, password and address changed. Might be a good idea to check yours.

With SA Oblivion currently running, I decided to jump in, unfortunately I wasn't able to access my account due to my email address no longer accessing a MassDrop account.

I checked my email history and saw that in early September, I received two emails from Massdrop saying that my email was changed. A corresponding password change email was sent to me as well.

The email it was changed to was: vladsevostyanov3@gmail.com

I contacted MassDrop last week and have since gotten in touch with a representative. As of this post, I have still not received access to my account with the same email.

Fortunately, I discovered that my phone is perpetually logged into my MassDrop account. I was able to access my old account through it and noticed that in account settings, a "NEW" address was added. It used my same exact name, but the address was:

600 Markley St, Port Reading, NJ 07064

Google search reveals this to be involved in other related "scams":

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Member-To-Member-Support/600-Markley-St-Port-Reading-NJ-07064-1813/qaq-p/26047898

It's also about 11 miles from the MassDrop New Jersey fulfillment center lol.

Some quick research from that location reveals it to be Meest America Inc. They are apparently a "delivery/fulfillment service".

http://meest.us/pro_nas.html

I suppose I could give them a call and give them a "friendly" but stern talking to lol.

Regardless, if this turns out to be a legit business that MassDrop is partnering with, I see no reason why my account settings were tampered with. I can possibly understand an address change to facilitate "faster delivery", but changing my email reeks of scam.

Anyway I would highly recommend everyone who is in the MassDrop ecosystem to just check their account. Verify things are as it should be, and please change your password if it's a fairly weak one.

For more info on Meest, please checkout the podcast by Reply All: https://gimletmedia.com/episode/99-black-hole-new-jersey/
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 September 2017, 13:45:07 by merlin64 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: PSA: Massdrop account hacked, please check yours
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 13:42:19 »
OMG... Not another one..

how do i delete account.. is there an account delete ?

I hope it's not the situation where some disgruntled massdrop buyer paid for hackers on dat dark net.

hahahaha

/Rembr r00tworm
/Ripster did it

hahahaha   Just kiddn' guys

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 13:46:09 »
tp4, no it was those hot russian females who hacked me.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 13:46:44 »

hahahaha,  I was just kidding....

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 21:50:21 »

tp4 rushes to setup Massdrop account with really obvious password.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 21:51:23 »

the password is..

iloveergodox10000

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 01:08:46 »

the password is..

iloveergodox10000

more like tpvegan4lifelol

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 19:33:03 »
My massdrop account was hacked. Email, password and address changed. Might be a good idea to check yours...

Sorry to hear about that. When this happens to friends, though, my first question is, "Did you use a plain-English, or otherwise simple password, that was easy for hacker bots to guess?" If so, you may want to look at that rather than any security lapse at MD.

Personally, whenever I need a new password, I use Steve Gibson's Secure Password Generator. It creates unique strings of random text in three formats (depending on each site's requirements) where you can copy and use strings of as many characters as you wish. I also then always add a prefix or suffix of a few characters I've memorized (e.g. part of a significant name or address), so my password manager (or browser, etc.) doesn't even contain them in their entirety.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 10:49:28 »
My massdrop account was hacked. Email, password and address changed. Might be a good idea to check yours...

Sorry to hear about that. When this happens to friends, though, my first question is, "Did you use a plain-English, or otherwise simple password, that was easy for hacker bots to guess?" If so, you may want to look at that rather than any security lapse at MD.

Personally, whenever I need a new password, I use Steve Gibson's Secure Password Generator. It creates unique strings of random text in three formats (depending on each site's requirements) where you can copy and use strings of as many characters as you wish. I also then always add a prefix or suffix of a few characters I've memorized (e.g. part of a significant name or address), so my password manager (or browser, etc.) doesn't even contain them in their entirety.

I normally have a 10 character password consisting of lower case and upper case letters, with symbols and numbers mixed in. I admit I was lax on my Massdrop account as I only used an 8 character password. When I signed up I was only evaluating Massdrop and never intended to get deep into the hobby.