Author Topic: Not all keys working on my Whitefox when plugged into one computer  (Read 2792 times)

Offline phoible

Not all keys working on my Whitefox when plugged into one computer
« on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 01:02:36 »
I have a Whitefox R2 that I built almost a year ago and that has always worked. I kept it as work as a backup keyboard, with my primary being an ALPS64 that I built up from an AEKII. A few days ago, I decided to dust off the Whitefox, and I plugged it into my work computer (a 2015 15-inch Macbook Pro). It appeared that a bunch of the keys/columns didn't work. The letters and numbers worked, but everything to the right of that seemed to be broken ([];' arrow keys, a few others). Strangely enough, the LED lighting controls, which I have mapped to the rightmost column, still worked just fine.

I took it home thinking that there was a problem with the keyboard (maybe a trace broke at some point). But when I plugged it into one of my computers at home (a 2013 13-inch Macbook Pro), all of the keys seem to work just fine. It also seemed to work fine on my Windows 10 Desktop.

When I plug it into the work computer, it doesn't work properly. With any other computer, it seems to work just fine. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what could be wrong with my my computer (or maybe it's a subtle issue with the Whitefox)?

I'm pretty confused - I tried restarting the computer, but that didn't seem to help. It could be due to some program disabling the keys, but that computer works fine with any other keyboard.

Offline HotRoderX

Re: Not all keys working on my Whitefox when plugged into one computer
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 01:12:27 »
It could be a lot of things causing the issue including a conflict with another usb device! I would try plugging the keyboard into a different USB port. That should cause it to try and reinstall the driver! Another thing you could try is to unplug everything usb related from the computer and try the keyboard just the keyboard. In this case make sure to have a word document open for testing before unplugging the mouse. Chances are its not the keyboard but the computer its self.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 17:05:20 »
Sounds like an underpowered USB port. Try turning off the backlight and see if the issue resolves. I typed this on the whitefox I built :)
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 17:12:46 »
9 times out of 10 when it's macOS that is misbehaving it is because you have something else installed that messes with USB like karabiner.

Also you could try updating to a newer firmware as HaaTa has made a lot of changes to fix some fun with the macOS USB stack.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 September 2017, 17:14:23 by jbondeson »

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 17:34:50 »
sounds to me like its stuck in some kind of function layer or the driver is corrupt. I would find it strange if the USB port/power/cable/etc was causing only certain keys to work but that is the easiest thing to test.
I would do the following:
1. Try a different USB2 port (mine doesnt work at all on USB3 if i remember correctly) and a different cable.
2. Try removing all other USB devices from the work PC to see if there is anything interfering.
3. Once its connected, remove and reinstall the driver in device manager for the kiibohd or whatever it is called
4. Test out using Switch Hitter (from elitekeyboards) to make sure when you try and press a key its not registering more than 1 key.
-Dana

Offline phoible

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 10:07:15 »
I think I finally figured it out. I was loading USB Overdrive on startup, which was screwing up my keyboard. once I disabled it, things seem to be back to normal.