Author Topic: Stabilizer mod question  (Read 7968 times)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Stabilizer mod question
« on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 08:50:58 »
So, I’m quite familiar with living and clipping stabilizers, as I have used these methods on at least 10 builds so far. However, lately I’ve been trying to figure out the best way to eliminate the sound of the stabilizer posts banging against the PCB when fully depressed.  Anyone care to share their methods?  I’m thinking electrical tape under the stabilizer but I don’t know how much that will help

Offline Tactile

Re: Stabilizer mod question
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 14:15:51 »
The first thing I'd try is not messing with the stabs at all but instead putting something (rubber, etc.) under the PCB in those areas. I can't think of anything you could do to the stabs for this "problem" which wouldn't "put back" the bottom-out cushion which you eliminated when you clipped the stabs.
REΛLFORCE

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 15:23:13 »
You can cut a small strip of bandaid and put it under the stab on the PCB.
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 15:31:55 »
The first thing I'd try is not messing with the stabs at all but instead putting something (rubber, etc.) under the PCB in those areas. I can't think of anything you could do to the stabs for this "problem" which wouldn't "put back" the bottom-out cushion which you eliminated when you clipped the stabs.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.  I put some paper under the stabilizers just to see what it would do, and it really didn't have any effect.  So that confirmed to me that whatever I put under there would have to have some thickness to it.  And, as you said, this is just going to result in the same mushy feel as an unclipped stabilizer.  I just wondered if there was a known fix.

I have heard of the band aid trick mentioned, so I'll see what that does.  Luckily, the loudest one I have is a space bar with plate mounted stabilizers, so I can experiment easily without taking the whole board apart.  I'm thinking about:

band aid strip, electrical tape, masking tape, card stock... not sure what else I have on hand

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 07:44:24 »
Fabric band-aid mod, then thick lube on the band-aid.
keyboards.

Offline RevoTeam

• * Maker
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 09:42:10 »
try to lube it? i used 227+103 and it helped.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 10:16:03 »
try to lube it? i used 227+103 and it helped.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Yes I always use super lube on my stabilizers.  I just realized that my phone said I was “living” them in the original post.  Ha.  Just getting around to doing this today.  We will see what helps

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 11:06:50 »
179370-0

179372-1

These band aids are very thin.  I actually stacked two strips.  It’s just pressure fitted so I can remove it easily later if needed. Thr acoustics are not perfect but better. It lowered the pitch of the clack. I’m satisfied with the results for a 5 min mod. I’d give this improvement a 6/10.   Not a game changer though.  Maybe it’s time to give up on cherry stabilizers. Which is a shame because I really hate the costar inserts. 

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 13:42:08 »
These band aids are very thin.  I actually stacked two strips.  It’s just pressure fitted so I can remove it easily later if needed. Thr acoustics are not perfect but better. It lowered the pitch of the clack. I’m satisfied with the results for a 5 min mod. I’d give this improvement a 6/10.   Not a game changer though.  Maybe it’s time to give up on cherry stabilizers. Which is a shame because I really hate the costar inserts.

Speaking of which are there any mods you can do for costar stabilizers other than lubing and paper/taping inserts?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 14:38:19 »

Speaking of which are there any mods you can do for costar stabilizers other than lubing and paper/taping inserts?

not sure.  I've only every had to lube them, and they were great after that.