Author Topic: [IC] TaiHao Cubic Classic + Accent Kits  (Read 5329 times)

Offline beamingrobot

• * Vendor
  • もうけい
    • monokei
[IC] TaiHao Cubic Classic + Accent Kits
« on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 13:37:07 »
Hi all,

I've been chatting with TaiHao for a few months now, working on a set that utilizes TaiHao's new Cubic profile.
Keychatter has a great article detailing this new profile and I think it'll be a great and cheaper (hopefully) addition to the community.

Now if you're someone who's gotten a set of THC caps you'd notice that the legends are reddish/brown. So instead of using those, which are really value for money I've come up with a more straightforward colour scheme with accent kits.

Some info:

Price: TBD (you can, however refer to current THC prices which are cheap. This set will be more expensive than those of course, hopefully not by much)
Packaging: We won't be using trays, probably EVA trays, or something sturdy. We're working with TH to figure out an economical way to ship these while not damaging/scratching the keys.
When: Well TH has them machines fired up and ready to go, but I'm open to suggestions.
MOQ: 200 per kit. That means 200 for base, 200 for each accent kit. We might only do base + 2 accent kits for this round.
Compatibility: We will not be able to support as many layouts as possible for now, but who knows in the future?

Please take note that certain keys are not available simply because TaiHao doesn't have those molds yet, and I don't have that much cash to drop on new molds on the first run. So here are the kits:

Base:

Instead of going for a more beige look I've decided to go for a grey-ish tone that should be subtle and blend better with the accents.
Some keys in the image below will require new molds, I will be updating the thread with those.

Cyan:

Pink:

Purple:

Yellow:

I'm open to suggestions on the colours of the accent kits. Maybe you have a colour that might work even better than what I've chosen, but do keep it to Pantone colours only. Think that the accent kits should remove/add keys? Let me know.
Looking forward to your comments. I'll open up a vote in a few days of 2 accent kits that will appear in this round.

http://monokei.co

Jane v2 | Jane v2 CE | Police | EXENT | KFE | KFE CE | Singa R1 | Jaguar | HHKB | Custom G80-3000 | Dalco 959mini | Haus | Kei | Hiro | Hidari | Tomo | Neko | Prophet | MXSS | TKL One | RS

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
Re: [IC] TaiHao Cubic Classic + Accent Kits
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 15:30:36 »
Big fan of cubic here! This would be something I'm interested in  :thumb:
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 22:29:22 »
I already have the two tone gray set coming from Massdrop next month but I would love some accents

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 22:41:36 »
no 1.75 shift? are am I missing something... I pretty sure they have the molds might be mistaken but 99% sure they do!.. also this isn't bad wish it was being offered in other colors thought. Perhaps carbon black with orange accents are something else!.. why not go a bit wild with the colors since its TaiHao you might get more buys just for the fact its super cheap. Though the Cubic profile really does rock dying on a cubic profile right now.

Offline beamingrobot

• * Vendor
  • もうけい
    • monokei
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 01:08:15 »
no 1.75 shift? are am I missing something... I pretty sure they have the molds might be mistaken but 99% sure they do!.. also this isn't bad wish it was being offered in other colors thought. Perhaps carbon black with orange accents are something else!.. why not go a bit wild with the colors since its TaiHao you might get more buys just for the fact its super cheap. Though the Cubic profile really does rock dying on a cubic profile right now.

I've other designs in the pipeline, just thought that it would be great to start off with some accents since many people have not tried this profile.

Regarding the 1.75, there are no Cubic molds for it at the moment, and I don't think I will shell out for it since it's the first custom run.

Jane v2 | Jane v2 CE | Police | EXENT | KFE | KFE CE | Singa R1 | Jaguar | HHKB | Custom G80-3000 | Dalco 959mini | Haus | Kei | Hiro | Hidari | Tomo | Neko | Prophet | MXSS | TKL One | RS

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 02:25:53 »
could it be included in a cherry profile? the 1.75u shift. I know its not ideal but it would least be something

Offline pomk

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 02:47:48 »

I've other designs in the pipeline, just thought that it would be great to start off with some accents since many people have not tried this profile.

Regarding the 1.75, there are no Cubic molds for it at the moment, and I don't think I will shell out for it since it's the first custom run.
The massdrop cubic drop had 1.75U shift.

Offline Trente

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 02:50:38 »
Curious if the white color is actually off-white. Would love to see some Beige colorway!

Offline beamingrobot

• * Vendor
  • もうけい
    • monokei
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 02:57:52 »

The massdrop cubic drop had 1.75U shift.
Show Image

Thanks for the heads-up! I'll request from them then :)

Curious if the white color is actually off-white. Would love to see some Beige colorway!
It is at this point off white, but as mentioned I'm open to suggestions  :thumb:

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 04:01:55 »
if you can get a 1.75u shift and the price is under 40... I most likely buy least one kit! I love Tai-Hao caps and the cubic profile is extremely nice to type on. I am glad to see your looking at doing more sets also! There cheap caps but there still pretty good quality for the price.

Also any chance perhaps maybe a Orange colored modifier set? I think it give a nice pop of color! are perhaps Green are Copper color?
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 October 2017, 04:03:26 by HotRoderX »

Offline befbef

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 04:22:17 »
In if under 40. If there was an option for colored alphas, I would also be in for over 40.

Offline Petch

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 06:05:08 »
Would be nice to see an R3 Control key (to compliment the other 2 HHKB keys you've included) as well as 75% and 1800 support and a 1.75u shift, otherwise it doesn't do much for me over a standard set they sell off the shelf

I understand this might not be your decision, but I think it would be worth passing onto TH that there is interest in support for those (in other profiles too)
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 October 2017, 06:07:03 by Petch »

Offline beamingrobot

• * Vendor
  • もうけい
    • monokei
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 12:07:12 »
if you can get a 1.75u shift and the price is under 40... I most likely buy least one kit! I love Tai-Hao caps and the cubic profile is extremely nice to type on. I am glad to see your looking at doing more sets also! There cheap caps but there still pretty good quality for the price.

Also any chance perhaps maybe a Orange colored modifier set? I think it give a nice pop of color! are perhaps Green are Copper color?

Definitely open to colour suggestions! It'd be even better if you could include some Pantone numbers? :D

In if under 40. If there was an option for colored alphas, I would also be in for over 40.

We're on the lowest end of TH's MOQ, but I'll see what we can work out.

Would be nice to see an R3 Control key (to compliment the other 2 HHKB keys you've included) as well as 75% and 1800 support and a 1.75u shift, otherwise it doesn't do much for me over a standard set they sell off the shelf

I understand this might not be your decision, but I think it would be worth passing onto TH that there is interest in support for those (in other profiles too)

I've asked, they said no early on :/

Also, we're looking at working with some friends in Taiwan who will be part of the GB. So 200 MOQ will be quite easy to hit :)

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 13:24:58 »
Orange perhaps a Panton 172c
Green Panton 3522 cp
Copper Panton 16-1325 TCX

Something kinda unique and special. instead of same old same old. Though I know same old same old sell nicely

Offline befbef

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 08:56:51 »
@beamingrobot:
Are there any news from this project?

The MD offer which popped up today is really interesting but not 100% my taste. Therefore it would be nice to know if it is worth waiting for this one.

Thanks

Offline pomk

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 09:26:35 »
Copper Panton 16-1325 TCX
Something kinda unique and special. instead of same old same old. Though I know same old same old sell nicely
Keycaps made from textiles would be truly unique, I give you that!  :))

Offline beamingrobot

• * Vendor
  • もうけい
    • monokei
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 09:39:14 »
@beamingrobot:
Are there any news from this project?

The MD offer which popped up today is really interesting but not 100% my taste. Therefore it would be nice to know if it is worth waiting for this one.

Thanks
Don't think we can hit the required 200 moq, lemme see what i can do in terms of kits, maybe a reduction is in order.