Author Topic: SIIG MiniTouch / Monterey K110 keyboard review (SMK 2nd gen "Monterey")  (Read 5577 times)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Part of a semi-series of space-saving keyboards I'll be running for the next few weeks (well except for next week), I present you the Monterey K110. Hope you enjoy the video! :)

Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
Re: SIIG MiniTouch / Monterey K110 keyboard review (SMK 2nd gen "Monterey")
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 October 2017, 13:45:17 »
I was close to buying this board but I just don't think I could get used to that ctrl key. I suppose in many games you could just rebind crouch to the FN key or even "c" but that would get on my nerves.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 28 October 2017, 14:35:56 »
I was close to buying this board but I just don't think I could get used to that ctrl key. I suppose in many games you could just rebind crouch to the FN key or even "c" but that would get on my nerves.
Nah, I'm not sure to be honest, I might be mistaken but I don't think Fn sends scancodes Oo .

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 28 October 2017, 15:32:47 »
another excellent review, keep up the good work!

Offline XXXXXXXX

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 28 October 2017, 22:12:32 »
Nah, I'm not sure to be honest, I might be mistaken but I don't think Fn sends scancodes Oo .
Nope, it doesn't send scancodes, most fn keys don't. In fact, trying to remap the keys for this keyboard is kind of wonky, and never seems to work for me. I tried to remap the blank key right next to the backspace to become a space (because my spacebar is really wobbly or something and I have no current method of fixing it) and my keyboard ceased to be functional. I then tried to remap the key right necxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, okay I don't know why my keyboard decided to do that but Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii'm going to keep these: anyways, I tried to remap the key next to the left arrow key to a Windows keys but alas, everything ended in failure. I'm still using the keyboard right now though, so take that as you will.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 28 October 2017, 22:29:33 »
Great review. I like your tone - easy to listen to.
Can't wait for my adapter to reach me from UK so I could test this baby myself.

edit: in your video, the keyboard looked pristine white. I am not sure if it was the lighting or what? My keyboard, in natural lighting, looked yellowish, like all aged keyboard is.

Also, not that you have pointed out how "faded" the printing of the characters are, I cannot unsee it, LOL - it is not as sharp as a PBT key.
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 October 2017, 23:06:29 by Belfong »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 02:36:37 »
Great review. I like your tone - easy to listen to.
Can't wait for my adapter to reach me from UK so I could test this baby myself.

edit: in your video, the keyboard looked pristine white. I am not sure if it was the lighting or what? My keyboard, in natural lighting, looked yellowish, like all aged keyboard is.

Also, not that you have pointed out how "faded" the printing of the characters are, I cannot unsee it, LOL - it is not as sharp as a PBT key.
Mine is new old stock, hence why there's no yellowing.

Laser printing can give OK legends, but not as good as dye sublimation or especially injection moulding. Btw, the material (ABS, PBT...) doesn't influence the quality of the legends ;) .

Offline Belfong

I bought the same keyboard from the eBay vendor who is sold a bunch of Minitouch keyboards for a low price. So, it’s new old stock too but I don’t remember it being so white, lol. Might have to check it out again.