Author Topic: Ultimate Multi-Keyboard Setup  (Read 7090 times)

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Ultimate Multi-Keyboard Setup
« on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 21:06:50 »
So many of us really enjoy using different keyboards based on the time of day, flavor of the week, weather, mood, and even other reasons.  But the challenge is how to have a usable desk setup that allows you to switch on the fly and on a whim without pausing. 

Some of you may have already found such a setup, and this is the thread where you can share it and inspire us all!  :thumb:  I've been thinking of how to do something like this myself where I can simply change keyboards like guitarists change guitars mid-performance.  Luckily, a simple usb hub can handle multiple keyboards and you can have multiple keyboards simultaneously in windows, so that part is the easy part.  The real question is where do you put them all?  A hanging rack beside the wall?  A multi-level shelf?  An under monitor storage garage?  So many ideas, so many keyboards, so many crazy cool possibilities!  :thumb:

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
Re: Ultimate Multi-Keyboard Setup
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 21:36:59 »
So many of us really enjoy using different keyboards based on the time of day, flavor of the week, weather, mood, and even other reasons.  But the challenge is how to have a usable desk setup that allows you to switch on the fly and on a whim without pausing. 

Some of you may have already found such a setup, and this is the thread where you can share it and inspire us all!  :thumb:  I've been thinking of how to do something like this myself where I can simply change keyboards like guitarists change guitars mid-performance.  Luckily, a simple usb hub can handle multiple keyboards and you can have multiple keyboards simultaneously in windows, so that part is the easy part.  The real question is where do you put them all?  A hanging rack beside the wall?  A multi-level shelf?  An under monitor storage garage?  So many ideas, so many keyboards, so many crazy cool possibilities!  :thumb:

Since most detachable boards have conformed to using mini USB, it really makes switching between them painless. Furthermore, if you keyboard uses something else, such as micro USB, the average person would have that cable attached to their computers regardless.
As for storage I'm currently looking to use server rack hardware to provide the shelving I need for my keyboards. low-medium profile keyboards will only require a single rack unit to slide in. At most, a sliding shelf for keyboards would take up 2 rack units if the shelf is on the bottom of the rack unit it occupies.
For me, however, it won't just be for keyboards since I'll have some audio equipment that I'll need on a rack anyway.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 22:10:59 »
I just realized this would have been a better thread in the media category since the 'post your desk setup' thread is there.  :-[

I agree that the connections for the keyboards is the easy part these days.  The question is how to make them all accessible--like how a gunfighter in the wild west had enough holsters for all his weapons...

Offline Kavik

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 00:07:45 »
I definitely need some ideas for this. I currently have five keyboards sitting on the floor beside and behind my chair that I hot swap. Not ideal.  :))
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 01:08:05 »
I definitely need some ideas for this. I currently have five keyboards sitting on the floor beside and behind my chair that I hot swap. Not ideal.  :))
Yeah, that's kinda the boat I was in, and then I just put them in the closet. :(

I know elitekeyboards uses a literature sorter as a way to store boards as they go through the restoration workflow.  Something like that on a smaller scale might be a good idea as long as its deep enough and still convenient.

The other idea I was thinking of was something like a multi-level 'garage' per se, except you could keep more than one keyboard.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 10:14:30 »
The answer is a shelf, or better a closed side board standing near you. Not hotswap - no need for that. But fast and easy swap
Winter is coming.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 12:19:27 »
The answer is a shelf, or better a closed side board standing near you. Not hotswap - no need for that. But fast and easy swap
What would a 'closed side board' look like?  For some reason I'm not picturing what you're saying.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 13:13:54 »
What would a 'closed side board' look like?  For some reason I'm not picturing what you're saying.
If you search for images of a credenza, that might be a bit clearer.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 15:00:24 »
If you search for images of a credenza, that might be a bit clearer.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I see what you're saying, but that's almost like having a desk extension--which takes up a lot of floor space.

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 15:09:03 »
I have my "extra" boards on the edge of my desk on a pot lid rack

Easy to just reach over, grab one, and plug it in.
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 16:02:36 »
I think I may have found a easy way to have the keyboards handy and ready to use--'metal file sorter'

And this reminds me of what we used in the hotel industry for towels: