afferscheim's mec.numpad
14 (34.1%)
emenelopee's project mnlop
13 (31.7%)
ghostjuggernaut's TKL No.1
14 (34.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: Thu, 25 January 2018, 05:10:33

Author Topic: Keyboard of the Month - December - Vote! - IT'S TIED  (Read 6026 times)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • Just the guy
Keyboard of the Month - December - Vote! - IT'S TIED
« on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 05:10:34 »
Good morning all, and welcome to the final vote for 2017's Keyboard of the Month! We only had three qualifying nominations this month, as I appreciate I posted the nomination thread WAY late, but all three are very different builds!

First up is affershiem's mec.numpad

Very concise build thread is here

Second is emenelopee's project mnlop

Another great build thread here

Third is ghostjuggernaut's TKL No.1

Originally posted in the making stuff together thread here

The poll will last for 7 days and then the nomination thread for January will go up as well as the Keyboard of the year vote!
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 January 2018, 14:22:12 by katushkin »
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
Re: Keyboard of the Month - December - Vote!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 06:18:51 »
Damn, this one's hard...  :confused:
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 07:02:21 »
Some really cool stuff here. Good luck to all 3 of you!
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 January 2018, 07:33:07 by UsualSuspectXXX »

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 07:03:28 »
Agree with you there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 10:42:40 »
Agree with you there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1

Oh, this is the vote thread.  In that case - voted!
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 01:31:07 »
My vote nearly melted, it's still 37°C in here.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline invariance

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 20 January 2018, 04:00:19 »
..... it's still 37°C in here.

Which means in a few days we will get the hot air mass up here and Brisbane's hot enough as it is  >:(

Rowdy and is bloody hot air  :)

Voted for (RELUCTANTLY) one.
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 20 January 2018, 04:10:40 »
..... it's still 37°C in here.

Which means in a few days we will get the hot air mass up here and Brisbane's hot enough as it is  >:(

Rowdy and is bloody hot air  :)

Voted for (RELUCTANTLY) one.

You get our weather?

We get Adelaide weather a day later and usually 1 or 2 degrees cooler.  And about 80% more humid :(
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline invariance

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 20 January 2018, 04:12:40 »
LOL
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104

Offline ejewell89

• 4ever Smol
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 12:31:02 »
cool to see some unique boards in the final vote this time. like. really unique.

Offline richfiles

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 02:02:27 »
GAH!!! So hard!!!
How does one decide amongst these contenders!

Y'all done good!  :thumb:
"75% + 1" Keyboard with "Danger Zone" keycaps and magnetically detachable Number Pad. Dyed Gateron Blue switches with amber sub lighting. Blue anodized plate and wood trim. (Firmware in Progress)
Bluetooth Apple //c keyboard with Alps SKCM Amber Switches. (Build in Progress)

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 10:37:15 »
Tie-breaker round?  :p
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 10:59:42 »
that's a close one.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • Just the guy
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 14:21:40 »
Wow, okay, so we've had a tiebreaker before, but it's been broken by amount of +1s or even the one I voted for. However this time, both boards got 2 +1s, and I voted for the third board...

I'm going to put it to the people. What do people want to do?

I'm going to suggest a number of options and people can suggest their own but I will suggest a number of options. The window for suggestions will be open until around 08:00 EST/12:00GMT/13:00CET and at that point I will make a decision.

My suggestions are:

• We have another vote open for a few days for the two tied boards
  • I make an executive decision on the board I like the most out of the two
  • We have a total do over of all three boards
  • We admit both boards into the KOTY poll and announce them joint winners

Thank you as always for your participation everyone, and I hope we can come to an amiable conclusion to this month's vote :D

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: Keyboard of the Month - December - Vote! - IT'S TIED
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 14:25:09 »
1 & 2 are fine, don’t mind too much if 3 happens, against 4.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 14:35:23 »
I vote for 1. We have another vote open for a few days for the two tied boards
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 January 2018, 15:57:20 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 14:39:06 »
Option 1 seems the best one to me.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 15:51:45 »
I feel bad I missed this month's vote now. I would've definitely voted for emenelopee's project mnlop because of the sheer originality of it giving us a three way tie, sorry emenelopee! :( Although I do have to give applause to all three builds as they all look great & I'm sure took a lot of hard work by all 3 builders.

How do we vote between the 2 tied boards jdcarpe? I see you said the voting will be open for a few more days but I can't use the poll at the top of the thread anymore.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 15:57:04 »
How do we vote between the 2 tied boards jdcarpe? I see you said the voting will be open for a few more days but I can't use the poll at the top of the thread anymore.

Sorry, that was my "vote" on the options katushkin presented. :)

@katushkin, we need a poll for which option to choose! LOL
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 16:44:37 »
(☉_☉)  Wow!

I definitely vote for option 1. Just a quick vote between the tied options. I don't think option 3 would be all that helpful.

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 17:18:55 »

Sorry, that was my "vote" on the options katushkin presented. :)

@katushkin, we need a poll for which option to choose! LOL

LOL, no problem. Will vote whenevr it gets put up! :thumb:

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 27 January 2018, 02:22:44 »
I'm for option 1.

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 04:08:18 »
5. Toss a coin.

Anyway, I vote for option 1, plus perhaps a few casual posts elsewhere in the forum to direct people here.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 04:15:05 »
Option 1 or 3 sound good to me, it's close enough that the 'loser' doesn't need exiling.

This really shouldn't happen though - more than 50 people should be voting!
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 04:21:07 »
Option 1 or 3 sound good to me, it's close enough that the 'loser' doesn't need exiling.

If only we had as many as that!

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 04:31:14 »

If only we had as many as that!

Exactly, a pathetic turnout for what should be a central part of the community :(
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 11:34:09 »
Damn, that's really a small amount of the community voting for KOTM. How can we make this more of a thing so larger audience gets in?

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • Just the guy
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 11:38:57 »
Damn, that's really a small amount of the community voting for KOTM. How can we make this more of a thing so larger audience gets in?

I have tried, but I don't want to push it on people. I don't want to create threads in off topic or other sub forums advertising it, I think it has decent visibility towards the top of the forum and I put the newest link in my sig every time a new post goes up. Sometimes we have more voting but I don't think we've ever broken the 100 mark for votes

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 12:01:04 »
1 or 4 is my vote.  And really sorry I missed this one.  It doesn't really get enough visibility depending on how you browse the boards.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • Just the guy
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 12:04:04 »
So, from the looks of things, I think the majority of people will be happy with option 1. I will lock this thread, and when I get home in about two hours I will start the tie breaker vote that will last for four days or so.

I will also put up the nomination thread for January 2018's Keyboard of the month.

If you have any suggestions as to how we can increase visibility of the competition, please post them in the feedback thread which is stickied at the top of this sub-forum.

Thanks for all your quick feedback guys. I appreciate it as ever.