Author Topic: Unlube  (Read 1651 times)

Offline ClickityClock

Unlube
« on: Sun, 27 May 2018, 20:53:09 »
So I bought a couple AEKs. I restored both. I learned a lot about the process having made mistakes both times in different areas. I realized that I HATE lube! It completely ruins the sound and feel of SKCM Orange Alps. They both feel and sound better after cleaning them by putting them through the ultrasonic learner and reassembling stock.

I also make some errors when retrobrighting the first AEK. I left it out in the sun for a couple hours as the video I watches and tutorial suggested. I used cling wrap with the BBlonde hair solution. I realized that you have to continually monitor and smooth out the creases and move the air bubbles around. It is virtually impossible to not have creases and air bubbles.

Does anyone know a good method for removing RO-59? I have a thirst AEK that I harvested switches to make a custom board. I ended up lubing them before I did a restore and tested to see how I liked it. BIG mistake.

I am going to try to use dish soap, before putting it through the ultra sonic cleaner to get rid of the lube. I used Efferdent during the ultrasonic cleaning....hopefully this will get rid of the lube so I can return them back to stock. I am going to have to do the springs and tactile leafs this time (I didn't put them through the ultrasonic cleaner the first time) because they're smudges with lube...............ugh.....

If anyone has any advise, It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!