Author Topic: Make a 2 key keyboard?  (Read 40488 times)

Offline WangZi

Make a 2 key keyboard?
« on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 13:07:45 »
Just wondering if it's possible to make a mechanical keyboard with only 2 keys, or something as low as 2 keys. Why? We'll I plan to make one for a game called osuu which only requires 2 keys.

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
Re: Make a 2 key keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 13:08:18 »
Just wondering if it's possible to make a mechanical keyboard with only 2 keys, or something as low as 2 keys. Why? We'll I plan to make one for a game called osuu which only requires 2 keys.

Yes. You can see the teckkeys business card. It has 3.

http://techkeys.us/collections/accessories/products/techkeys-keyboard-business-card

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 13:28:36 »
For sure that is a great suggestion... just get the techkeys card and only put 2 switch on it. Reprogram it. Done.

Offline WangZi

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 13:34:09 »
Not great computer programmer, do you know if it will be complicated to reprogram the keys?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 14:18:38 »
I suspect some firmwares will appear for it soon enough on here that will make it easy to assign whatever you like. It was only made available a few days ago I think.

Offline regack

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 19:45:46 »
I am so totally going to make this just for laughs...

50373-0

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 19:46:17 »
^ I'll take one

Put 1, and A on them.
I love Elzy

Offline fourzeropooh

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 19:47:34 »

(Attachment Link)

Group buy?

Also can someone do the SMD soldering for me if this becomes a thing?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 19:52:53 »
If this becomes a groupbuy, we should get some really baller 0 and 1 doubleshots to go with it.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 19:53:56 »
If this becomes a groupbuy, we should get some really baller 0 and 1 doubleshots to go with it.

Holy **** this is a good idea

Offline bcg

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 20:01:31 »
I suspect some firmwares will appear for it soon enough on here that will make it easy to assign whatever you like. It was only made available a few days ago I think.

I'm sure it would be easy to load hasu's firmware on there.  The switches are each wired directly to a pin on the 16U2 you just have to read the value from the pin to know if the key is pressed I presume

You can probably just modify the onekey keyboard example, just add some keys to keymap.c and then change the functions at the bottom of matrix.c:

https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/keyboard/onekey/matrix.c#L144
:wq!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 20:02:05 »

Group buy?

If this was really small and really cheap, there would be all kinds of uses for it.

What is a much smaller equivalent of an Altoids tin?
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline regack

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 20:10:01 »

Group buy?

If this was really small and really cheap, there would be all kinds of uses for it.

What is a much smaller equivalent of an Altoids tin?

Well... as a one-off it's going to come in ~$9 each... but that included me pricing out (2) $1.20 switches from mouser (not that anyone would buy them there at that price, but I just wanted some kind of price estimate). 

Offline bcg

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 20:20:23 »
Well... as a one-off it's going to come in ~$9 each... but that included me pricing out (2) $1.20 switches from mouser (not that anyone would buy them there at that price, but I just wanted some kind of price estimate).

What is IC1?

Offline regack

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 20:29:56 »

What is IC1?

ATTINY85

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 20:32:27 »
I'm sure we could get at least a few dozen of these PCB if doing a groupbuy. If really low numbers... doubleshots probably not but getting some neat dyesubs done with imsto wouldn't be a problem.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 20:41:11 »
I'd be down for one.

Just add at least one mounting hole to the PCB: it'll make it a HECK of a lot easier to put in some sort of case.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 20:42:11 »
A keyboard with only 2 keys would be pretty much limited to entering binary data.

A keyboard with 1 key anyone?  Morse code data entry? ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 20:47:14 »
As far as case goes... perhaps something 3D printed? For something so small I can't imagine doing something kind of like a miniature Poker tray would be too difficult or terrible expensive? I think if you put a hole in the PCB at two diagonal corner it would be enough?
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 January 2014, 20:49:44 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 20:55:33 »
Will this be a kit?

Some people have distinct ideas about switches and key caps.

I would love a bag of parts and some instructions.
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline regack

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 21:00:55 »
I'd be down for one.

Just add at least one mounting hole to the PCB: it'll make it a HECK of a lot easier to put in some sort of case.

Yup, I fit a 3.5mm hole in the middle of the PCB, but it will require some kind of standoff.

Offline bcg

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 22:27:39 »

What is IC1?

ATTINY85

Totally awesome.  If you get these made up I'm totally in for a few, even if its just the PCB and not a kit.

Adafruit has a Arduino library targetting ATTINY85 to make a USB keyboard, although I didn't really look if this arduino specific but even if its not would be easy enough to do from scratch:

http://learn.adafruit.com/trinket-usb-keyboard/code

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 22:55:43 »
I don't know why, but I would also be interested in some sort of GB for regack's little 2-switch PCB.  Mostly just because it'd be so fun.

What would you other people use something like that for?

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 22:56:25 »
^ I'll take one

Put 1, and A on them.

The new Sifo Elite Protoss Custom™

Offline bcg

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 23:38:27 »
I don't know why, but I would also be interested in some sort of GB for regack's little 2-switch PCB.  Mostly just because it'd be so fun.

One think that I can think of right off the top of my head is for a volume control to attach to my laptop docking station at work

Also I was thinking of making a sort of password manager that I could store passwords on and have them typed out for me when I

Also I'm iterested in it just as a breakout dev board for the ATTINY85 - it might be nice if it was a bit more breadboard friendly but it looks fun to hack around on regardless

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 05:55:04 »

(Attachment Link)

I am in for a few PCB's if this comes together! Just the PCB's, I can find my own switches and components easily enough.

Finally a REAL programmer's keyboard!
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 11:49:16 »
^ I'll take one

Put 1, and A on them.

The new Sifo Elite Protoss Custom™

Pretty much
I love Elzy

Offline WangZi

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 12:03:51 »
Ill definitely take one. I'm not a great engineer so could you actually make one for me with keys and everything? I'm willing to pay. BTW, if you can, i should be able to advertise it on OSU and try to get more buyers involved.

Offline Defying

• (suffer on)
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 12:43:24 »
this + tablet = perfect osu! combo

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 14:14:40 »
I think a kit would be great. If we could get a PCB with all the smd stuff done + a little plastic 3D printed tray or something + 2 keycap. Then make switch and led optional for extra perhaps with a limited selection.
I would be willing to take the helm on a groupbuy. I'm pretty seasoned and even if it happened to get quite huge it wouldn't phase me.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 14:20:52 »
Let's do it! I'm in for a few. Especially with a couple GMK caps on there. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 14:22:11 »

On/Off switches  ;D

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 14:24:48 »
F5 and FN :p

I'm down

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 14:29:04 »
Is there anyone that can design a tray? Once that is done we would need some pricing from 3D printer or whatever.
Need pricing for PCB fab with pick and place for any SMD parts... I don't know where is good.
Once I know those things I could start up buy thread since I know where to get switch/led/keycap and how much those should cost.

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 14:31:11 »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 15:11:07 »
Is there anyone that can design a tray? Once that is done we would need some pricing from 3D printer or whatever.
Need pricing for PCB fab with pick and place for any SMD parts... I don't know where is good.
Once I know those things I could start up buy thread since I know where to get switch/led/keycap and how much those should cost.

Try PCBcart.com. You will need the Gerber files from regack. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 15:11:45 »

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 15:13:12 »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 15:15:36 »
The branding.
I love Elzy

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 15:16:29 »

Offline regack

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 15:24:49 »
Ok, let me just throw another thought out there for everyone to chew on: The attiny will need to be programmed by ISP (at least the first time, I guess? I'm not really good with firmware) - I've got the ISP pins brought out to pads on the edge of the board, and I suppose throwing together a jig to hand-jam a bunch of boards would work, but would be tiresome in bulk... anyone have any ideas how to handle this?

Especially with all of the different layouts people will want :D ...

(seriously, I'm not really good with firmware)

BTW, I ordered some prototypes yesterday, because I've never actually played with the ATTINY before so... probably need at least SOME testing first. 

But hey, at least with only two switches and optional don't-solder-in-the-resistors-or-LEDs-if-you-don't-want-it backlighting it shouldn't be really hard to make sure it's working ok.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 15:25:50 »
Can't wait ...
I love Elzy

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 15:32:54 »
I would prefer the bare module or a kit with instructions.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 15:43:09 »
I have no idea how plausible this idea is... but would it be possible to have it programmed at the fab? It could be 0 and 1 by default so it would do something 'out of the box'. Would it be at all possible to have it on the fly programmable? Surely almost no one would be using this as primary keyboard. Maybe could have like a 2pin header jumper like for clear cmos placed to enable program mode? Something like a press key... press key(s) on keyboard, press key again to save kind of deal? Even if you have to remove keycap to get to it... at least something like that would be super user friendly instead of making people do compile and flash deal with a tricky interface.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 16:15:53 »
If we can somehow get this flashed to a bunch of chips it would make life easier: https://github.com/micronucleus/micronucleus

Apparently Digi-Key can flash them :D

"This part can be programmed by Digi-Key; for details please contact our custom department at 1-800-344-4539 x5725 or custom.orders@digikey.com"

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/ATTINY85-20SH/ATTINY85-20SH-ND/2238295

I wonder if they are happy to do it for bulk orders?
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Defying

• (suffer on)
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 16:22:18 »
I think a kit would be great. If we could get a PCB with all the smd stuff done + a little plastic 3D printed tray or something + 2 keycap. Then make switch and led optional for extra perhaps with a limited selection.
I would be willing to take the helm on a groupbuy. I'm pretty seasoned and even if it happened to get quite huge it wouldn't phase me.
wouldn't a 3d printed case make the thing too light? i mean it's just 2 switches (probably without a plate), so i can see this thing not being too secure on a desk or something

Offline McWilloughby

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 16:27:05 »
Really like this idea.

wouldn't a 3d printed case make the thing too light? i mean it's just 2 switches (probably without a plate), so i can see this thing not being too secure on a desk or something

Definitely need some brass weights as well right?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 16:31:00 »
Could always design it in such a way that can place some weight in the bottom under the PCB or something like this in miniature.

There is always things doublesided tape too... :))

Offline WangZi

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 16:48:50 »
+1 on double sided tape. To be honest i really don't think it will slide around that much if you are only tapping on it. However i could be wrong and this just destroys my table.

Also what switches are you planning to place on the keyboard?

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 17:00:09 »
V-USB provides some sample code ready to be used into this mini keyboard.
We just need someone to review the pins assignments

HID Keys
EasyLogger

Why not more keys too?
 :D

BTW: I'm in for a group buy.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 January 2014, 17:05:48 by agodinhost »
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB