Author Topic: KBDFANS8X MkII  (Read 25520 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
KBDFANS8X MkII
« on: Sun, 19 May 2019, 08:51:21 »
https://kbdfans.cn/collections/kbd8x-mkii

KBDFANS8X MkII - who's getting one?
Excited?
What do you think about the design?
Let's chat about this new upcoming affordable DIY kit.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Drop CSTM80 | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline eyedrop

Re: KBDFANS8X MkII
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 May 2019, 10:50:32 »
The group buy ended April 30th.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline lolafineday

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 May 2019, 12:10:44 »
It ended and it was a great board

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 19 May 2019, 13:16:31 »
You're a little late to the party, friend, as others have pointed out.

The group buy came out of nowhere for the mk ii. I read that there are about 250 pre-orders in the works.

Of course, many of them were for the T1 switches and the Stealios switches, so I imagine that they are in the process of being cancelled.

There is some consternation about the gray colour. First, there is a gray and silver option, both of which are a little uninspired.

Second, there is no two-tone option for gray, as there was in the original KBD8x.

Finally, there is dissatisfaction at the shade of gray being used, as it is very basic.

[I would be happy if they brought back the two-tone gray colours, or offered a true dark gray option].

This is a truly great budget TKL kit that is being marred by the controvery and disruption caused by the T1 switches and fake Zealios.

And I doubt the timing is truly accidental. If KBDFans had been able to go ahead with the KBD8x mkii production while also selling thousands of T1s and fake Zealios/Tealios that used Zeal and Gateron IP, that's a lot of revenue missed by Zeal and Gateron.

So now that matter has to get straightened out before KBDFans becomes the preferred all-inclusive budget TKL shop. Hopefully, it does all get straightened out before the next round of GBs, because I really want an 8x mk ii.

I also encountered a personal issue when trying to order the 8x mkii.

I wasn't sure what weight of the Zealios to go for, or whether to get the T1 [all moot points now].

My other option was the Kailh Pro Purples, but I have no idea how they will perform on a brass plate.

Unlike many other keyboards KBDFans offers, the 8x mkii comes with either a brass or polycarbonate plate. Full-plate and half-plate available. I have no experience with either. I assume that the brass is broadly similar to an aluminum plate, but I'm not sure.

I was running Pro Purples on a TeamWolf Zhuque, which is pretty great. Alum plate, alum case.

But I've found Pro Purples to not be so great on something like a GMMK. Not sure why. Maybe it was a bad batch of purples. [Ordered from AliExpress instead of KBDFans].

So, I don't really know what to order. Although my instinct is to order Pro Purples on a full brass plate.

I'd like to see how the colours in the first batch turn out, before I make any decisions.

--

[Sorry if this post seems obnoxious. I'm testing a new keyboard, a Perixx Periboard 324 scissor-switch keyboard by typing this post].

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 19 May 2019, 13:19:18 »
There is a very informative video of a build stream here:

The case feels nice, it seems, although the board sounds hollow. Most of the unpleasant typing noise from the video derives from the T1 switches, though, and not the case.

The case just needs some padding. Wish there was a factory option for that.

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 19 May 2019, 14:19:01 »
Honestly, I've been able to fix the hollow sound in most boards I've put together by layering a peice of thick stock paper and a layer of shelf liner. I've just built a CLS the same way with lubed T1 switches and there is no hollow sound at all.

Offline phinix

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 19 May 2019, 15:15:38 »
Sorry, I haven't mentioned - I'm not late, I know GB ended 30th April, cause I have ordered one for myself:D
I got black/black, full brass plate. I have Tealios v2 for them here, so just getting a barebone and will build it myself.
I wanted to see how many of you guys have also ordered and what do you think about the actual design, as I think for this amount of money it is pretty great deal for such a build, with heafty brass weight and nice simple design of chassis.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Drop CSTM80 | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline tron

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 19 May 2019, 18:15:57 »
The KBDFANS8X MkII will be a great value if the ano turns out nice (the shade of gray looks really good with 9009). I do wonder if a potential MkIII will have gasket mounts and how much it would affect the price level.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 19 May 2019, 18:37:59 »
I'm planning on matching 9009 to the 8x's gray, so I have the same hopes.

A darker gray would be better for certain colourways though.

It's too bad that Pro Purples don't go well with ePBT keycaps, in my experience. It's been a showstopper preventing me from ordering the 8x so far.

Maybe I need to do more testing. And I wish the 8x came with an alum plate option.

Offline phinix

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 21 May 2019, 07:52:21 »

It's too bad that Pro Purples don't go well with ePBT keycaps, in my experience. It's been a showstopper preventing me from ordering the 8x so far.

Maybe I need to do more testing. And I wish the 8x came with an alum plate option.

Why would you prefer aluminium plate?
I'm new to custom builds - what difference does it make what material is used for a plate?

Offline TheMnBN

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 21 May 2019, 08:10:58 »

Why would you prefer aluminium plate?
I'm new to custom builds - what difference does it make what material is used for a plate?

I think it'd all come down to personal preference. However, I will leave a short write-up of 'keyboard science' here for a reference point: https://brianlee.blog/2018/11/23/guide-keyboard-construction-explained/

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 21 May 2019, 08:21:17 »
Brass seems nice, but apparently it is higher-maintenance, as it rusts easier.

However, the reason I was uncertain about brass is that aluminum is a known quantity - I know how my switches feel on aluminum.

And since I'm primarily looking at tactiles, I'm concerned that brass may have less flex than aluminum. As Brian Lee's article explains, aluminum is a 'middle ground' in terms of flex and firmness.

The designer of the KBD8x mkii, Ai03, recommends polycarbonate for tactiles. But I think he is thinking more along the lines of browns and similar light tactiles. Because Cherry originally assumed that switches like browns would be on a semi plate or polycard plate like certain of their earlier keyboards. Light tactiles like Browns weren't originally designed for hard, brass plates.

But for different switches like Pro Purples [which are semi-linear], a harder full-plate might make more sense. They work fine on aluminum.

Complex tactiles like Zealios - I don't know. I see plenty of people putting them on aluminum, and now brass.

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 21 May 2019, 08:43:32 »
I preordered two of these, one for home one for work. The second one will be e-white and will host the GMK Mizu set..

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 13:38:06 »
I recently got one from the previous GB (non-mkII) and I love it. Silver matched with 9009. From what I can tell the MKII only got better. Looks like a fine keyboard for a good price. I was able to get mine with T1's before all the drama.

Offline phinix

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 17:51:03 »
I recently got one from the previous GB (non-mkII) and I love it. Silver matched with 9009. From what I can tell the MKII only got better. Looks like a fine keyboard for a good price. I was able to get mine with T1's before all the drama.

Share some pictures:)

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 18:15:40 »

I took some but I think they are at my desktop at home. I'll try to remember later.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 07:44:40 »
I would have even bought the 8x before the mkii came out.

That two-tone light gray/dark gray was great.

I'm glad that silver matches 9009 as well.

I'm thinking of silver if I go with Pro Purples, because it will match the Varmilo keycaps I will use for those switches. Plus, it may go with 9009.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 10:24:54 »

All I got handy.

Offline phinix

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 15:44:54 »

All I got handy.

Niiiice:)
Look sgreat with that keycaps set.

So you're saying its pretty good kit? Enjoying it?

How does it sound? Did you have to stick some sound dampening sheet or something inside the case?

I wonder if we will have to do it with Mk2.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 17:18:49 »

All I got handy.

How does it sound? Did you have to stick some sound dampening sheet or something inside the case?

I love it, but this is my first "high end" keyboard. I love the sound but not sure what I would be looking out for as a negative. It feels very solid to type on. I bought the board already assembled. I have not myself attempted to take it apart to put anything in there. I don't even know how, but haven't felt the need to .

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 19:58:08 »

All I got handy.

That looks pretty nice. I would be happy with that.

Did you share one 9009 set over those two keyboards   ;D

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 18:03:38 »

All I got handy.

That looks pretty nice. I would be happy with that.

Did you share one 9009 set over those two keyboards   ;D

Ha yes I have been swapping around the colored caps. There is a decent difference between these two sets, quality wise. The Tada caps look like an earlier run, smaller legends, not as nice.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 21:41:44 »
Yes, that would explain how they keep the price low. The Tada comes with nice keycaps, but they must be cheaper than 9009 since 9009 alone retails for about $120. I figured that the Tada keycaps were a cheaper mass run for that particular model.

I'm actually using 9009 on two separate keycap sets right now. Some of the set is inserted along with classic Comptec DCS [beige] on a full-size keyboard, and the 9009 set itself on a switch testing keyboard.

Offline phinix

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 05:38:00 »
Just one more month...:D

Offline walie

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 09:23:50 »

All I got handy.

Probably, the prototype that Nathan Kim built sounded like absolute poop before he put some in some shelf liner and ghetto burger mounted the plate

Offline phinix

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 15:46:58 »

All I got handy.

Probably, the prototype that Nathan Kim built sounded like absolute poop before he put some in some shelf liner and ghetto burger mounted the plate

Just in case we will have to do same thing with Mk2 - what kind of shelf liner would you recommend?
Is there anything else that would be better for keyboard than shelf liner? Any other types of sheets that would be great for sound proofing?

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 24 July 2019, 08:56:11 »
Good news. You can buy an 8x mkii muting kit:

https://kbdfans.com/collections/kbd8x-mkii/products/kbd8x-mkii-muting-foam-sheet

Also, there's a brief update from KBDFans on their discord:

KBD8X MKII has not arrived yet. Now it has reached some brass weight, and all PCS have arrived, which should be shipped in early August

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 01 August 2019, 19:27:57 »
Serious question time:

Should I use a polycarbonate or brass plate with Zilent switches?

Offline duxbridge

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 18:55:55 »
Serious question time:

I would say your questions are answered here:

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 21:21:15 »
https://kbdfans.cn/collections/kbd8x-mkii

KBDFANS8X MkII - who's getting one?
Excited?
What do you think about the design?
Let's chat about this new upcoming affordable DIY kit.

Affordable doesn't necessarily mean myself can afford it. But affordable is a pleasing word to hear with my mech keeb addiction

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 22:34:08 »
Serious question time:

I would say your questions are answered here:

Thanks, that was incredibly helpful. The polycarb doesn't seem to go well with the Zilents, which I sort of expected.

I've only typed on Zilents with an aluminum plate, which is probably closer to brass. The Zilents are rubber-dampened, so it doesn't matter so much if you are typing on a hard plate. By contrast, the polycarb plate flexes too much and sounds strange.

I would probably use the polycarbonate plate if I were using light, unsilenced tactiles like MX Browns. It would be closer to the classic Cherry plateless feel. But I don't think that kind of plate was the assumption when Zilents were designed.

So I would probably go with brass. Although I think the brass plate being visible between the keycaps might contrast with the colourways I have planned for the board.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 11:17:56 »
Somebody on Reddit appears to have received a silver KBD8X MKii:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/cnnat1/kbdfans_8x_v2_wjapanese_pbt/

Offline walie

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 12:28:58 »

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 15 August 2019, 20:42:37 »
Yeah, you're right. Although the guy is happy with it.

I know I'm resurrecting this thread without news of the KBD8x (we're all eagerly waiting in anticipation), but it turns out my Leopold FC900 is going to need desoldering.

I wonder what would make a better platform for Zilents: the KBD8x mkii (brass plate), or a Leopold.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 26 August 2019, 06:35:37 »
The KBD8x mkii has started to ship. A number of purchasers have reported receiving shipping notices.

Due to delays with the brass plate, KBDFans expected to only ship about half of the orders as of a couple days ago. The brass plates they were receiving were imperfect, and they had to wait for more.

Or it might have been the brass weight, I'm not sure. There have been delays related to the brass.

Once all the KBD8x are shipped, they will open the sale of extras.

Offline phinix

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 26 August 2019, 07:28:55 »
I didn't get any emails, so I guess mine will be shipped later:(

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 28 August 2019, 10:23:48 »
I read that the whole batch won't be shipped until either mid or late September, at which point the extras will be opened for sale.

Offline phinix

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 28 August 2019, 13:02:12 »
Where did you read that?
Sherry said that shipping has started. Partial batch was shipped already, they are shipping rest of it.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 28 August 2019, 20:54:42 »
On the Discord, not from KBDFans though. Maybe it was just a pessimistic comment based on hearsay.

It's my understanding that the extras will only be available once all orders have shipped. I thought that would take place within the next 3 days, but I can see mid-September as a possibility.

I'll wait for word from KBDFans.

Offline phinix

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 09:25:30 »
Kbdfans gave us an update on Discord saying this is being shipped.

KBDfans |kbdfans.comLast Tuesday at 05:29
SimpleJA - 1 week left
Polaris - 10 days left
Kbd8x - shipping started
2048 - shipping started
Leviathan- The mold is finished and ready for injection. Other kits have been completed
Kolkrabba- It's still in production

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 08:48:45 »
It's being shipped, but shipping may not end until mid or late September.

KBDFans says that there has been a series of problems with brass components. They have had to get them redone twice in some instances. So a number of orders are being held back until the brass is ready.

Purchase of extras will only begin once all orders have shipped, against possibly in mid-to-late September.

Another MKii got posted on reddit, this one looks almost perfect:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/cztwgq/kbd8x_mkii_ewhite_edition/

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 15:54:16 »
It's being shipped, but shipping may not end until mid or late September.

KBDFans says that there has been a series of problems with brass components. They have had to get them redone twice in some instances. So a number of orders are being held back until the brass is ready.

Purchase of extras will only begin once all orders have shipped, against possibly in mid-to-late September.

Another MKii got posted on reddit, this one looks almost perfect:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/cztwgq/kbd8x_mkii_ewhite_edition/

Looks great, but not with those ugly legends!

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 14:38:40 »
They need to remove those 2 little diamond things on the top left. Or are those removable? I saw someone like switch them out and put LEDs or something in a post some time back

Offline phinix

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 15:29:37 »
They need to remove those 2 little diamond things on the top left. Or are those removable? I saw someone like switch them out and put LEDs or something in a post some time back
there is no leds. MK1 had it.

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 16:59:35 »
there is no leds. MK1 had it.
nvm

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 19:19:20 »
Another post from Reddit with another mkii. This one is the silver anodized, brass plate. Looks pretty much like I expected. I basically want the gray version of this.

https://tinyurl.com/AClassicLook

Offline phinix

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 04:58:58 »
Sweet. Can't wait to get mine.
I'm not a fan of silver keyboard though...
Mine will be black.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 14 September 2019, 15:38:35 »
Another KBD8x mkii posted, this one's polycarbonate.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/d438di/kbd8x_mkii_polycarbonate/

Apparently it was mostly ok, a few light scratches that are difficult to see.

Gallery here:

https://imgur.com/gallery/vxjh5mA

Offline duxbridge

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 12 January 2020, 04:23:30 »
Has anyone received their 8x MkII?  :)

Offline phinix

« Reply #49 on: Sun, 12 January 2020, 06:10:55 »
Has anyone received their 8x MkII?  :)

Not many got theirs I think.
All those manufacturing issues - I cancelled my order, just couldn't wait any longer - supposed to be here in September - its middle of January and still nothing.
Their updates were enigmatic, there were talking about pc and white bits, when we couldn't understand what was manuafactured so far, what was still delayed etc
I had to pull the plug, too much unknowns and delays.