Author Topic: Gutz’s beloved Tipro.  (Read 4442 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Gutz’s beloved Tipro.
« on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 11:09:22 »
OK I have decided to post my board. The reason being that after Metalliqaz comes out with his Zeta this month, maybe Kishy will post his Eta in June, Kurplop will have done up his Theta in July, and someone else will come in with his Iota in August and I won’t stand any more iota of a chance then than I will do now.

This is Gutz’s beloved Tipro.

It originated as a freebie from GeorgeK, demonstrating that stuff that you spend hundreds on, you don’t necessarily like in the end. I spent tons of money on other keyboards and wound up NOT liking them as much as I liked this one.

I removed the disgusting black switches and dremel modded the board underneath. So now all switches are moddable.

The backplate has been painted lilac, which shows up a bit between the switches.

The switches are greens with my signature orthodontic band jailhouse mod, which makes them high actuation and ultra silent. I’d say they are quieter than Topres, whether during the actuation phase, or on the rebound phase. Due to the actuation point being so high they are actually quite light, around the same as Korean 62g at actuation although they are actually using stock heavy springs.

I programmed it with all my usual favourite macros which explains the logic on this board. It is not just a pretty board. It is very, very functional. Everything you see on this board is perfect in my eyes because it serves a purpose.

The space and return keys are Row3 SA. That means they're flat and spherical topped. That is very useful because you strike the keys with the corners of your thumbs whereas for other fingers you strike with your fingertips. This means other fingers find it more comfortable to use normal keycaps, but the thumbs are not so comfortable. Only Row3 SA feels nice on my thumbs. I have tried practically every MX keycap profile and this is my recommendation.

The printscreen button (next to scrolllock as usual) has been replaced by a big blank key. It is a macro key that I use a lot, so I want it accessible to both left and right hands, and also accessible by touch since it feels different from surrounding keys. Since I use autohotkey, this button is still printscreen. That way I can take screenshots when I press alt-printscreen.

The caps lock has been recessed. I have plenty of relegendables, but I don’t want to use any of them for this caps lock because Tipro’s stock keys are the lowest I can find. I want to keep the functionality of CapsLock because occasionally I do use it, but I don’t use it often so it is deliberately kept low.

I moved the /*- to the side. Firstly, that creates space in the middle and makes the Del and End keys accessible since I use them fairly often. Secondly, when I am using the numpad, I like to have one side with a higher profile so that I can feel my way around.

The different sections are ergonomic and easily seen even in low lighting. I can detect where I am on the board, and press the right key, anytime because home keys F J are fairly centrally located. (My new home keys are actually S and E, but I totally have no problem touch typing on the first 4 rows because of the thumb keys (space and enter) which help me place hands correctly. It is when I need to type higher keys that I must have F J homing assistance. I put fingers there, and when I move up I can feel the different textures of the next 3 rows which lets me always accurately locate the vertical row. And with pinkies at TAB and Backspace when I move my hands up, I can locate the correct horizontal key due to muscle memory.

Windows and App keys are very important to me… since I always use them as macro trigger keys in Autohotkey.

I have navigation keys on both sides, which I like very much.

Apart from the lock lights, I also have the buzzer sound off whenever I trigger a lock key.

I changed all the leds to SIP sockets so theoretically I can swap different leds in. Since when keyboard is on the L1 key will always be lighted by default, I changed that to a colour changer which is quite fun. The constantly changing colour makes me feel the keyboard is alive without being disruptive.

I didn’t put the relegendable covers on for the sake of photo taking, since they reflect light a bit. In any case I don’t need the covers when using the keyboard. As long as the texture of the top row and the side columns (TAB, Backspace, Shift, etc) is different, I can locate them by touch. Also they are already higher than QRZ and :O? which is good for the pinkies.

I HAVE SUFFICIENT RELEGENDABLES. Gotta stress that, because I didn’t use higher profile 0 Ins and + keys for no reason. I want them nearer the height of other numerics for regular typing purposes. The mods like Alt, Win and App are kept lower using my xkeys. I don’t actuate them unless I purposely want to.

The only key that doesn’t make me happy here is the “ key. It is a bit too low for pinky to reach easily, but I didn’t really want to replace it with a relegendable bottom because it is an alphanumeric after all.

There are a few defects on this board that I couldn’t cure. You can also see I have a piece of painted over masking tape above F9 F10. There was a very deep scratch that could not be sanded down.

Another is the solder splash just below the back/ left arrow key on the left side. I couldn’t get it off and didn’t want to ruin my nice paint job.

The worst thing about my work is that I didn’t take photos along the way. I was merely experimenting with layouts at first and never expected to like this keyboard so much. I never even expected that I could desolder this entire board without lifting a single pad!

ps as it is nearly the end of May, maybe my board should be nominated in June instead. HINT, HINT.

Update: new photos uploaded

101318-0101511-1101513-2
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 June 2015, 08:23:11 by berserkfan »
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline VoteForDavid

• Vote For David
Re: Gutz’s beloved Tipro.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 13:55:15 »
I am very happy that you are satisfied with your custom board.  I couldn't use it.  You likely couldn't use the one I am making.  Different strokes for different folks - but if you end up with what you wanted, congratulations!

:thumb:
Jesus loves you.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 15:44:26 »
This has come a long way since the preview I got a couple of months back - now it looks great and I can see how it's actually very practical.  Why waste the centre space of your ergo split when you can put in a number pad in it?  Why rely on a couple of homing keys when you can differentiate entire zones using different cap profiles?  To me this board is a work of genius :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 23:48:46 »
Nice board man, it looks so funky lol

dangit i want to try a matrix keyboard, wish i could have afford the boards that you posted in past...
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 07:43:02 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Cherry-Black-Keyboard-RC80BM-003600227A-with-Card-Reader-/111671216287?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1a001f889f

I’ve posted this before. Definitely think it is worth playing around with. At $24.95 shipped CONUS, it should not cost more than $60 via proxy to make it to Japan where you are. That makes it cheaper than any mechanical keyboard you can buy on massdrop. Fully programmable!

That you can’t afford $60 is a red flag to me. I think you should log out of wallethack and never come back.

Not trying to make you feel unwelcome here, but IIRC you live in Japan and have a family. If you’re so penurious that you can’t afford $60, you need to stay away from this site before you make a rash purchase and blow the family budget for the month. Rice is $30 per bag in Japan, or so I’ve heard?

This is just a [costly] hobby. No matter what some of our less rational (and unmarried) members think, keyboards aren’t worth more than the kids. Get your priorities right. :thumb:
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 00:36:11 »
added new photos

thanks to Suicidal Orange's praise I got some inspiration and decided to take a photo of my Tipro with a table meant for the kids (before the kids did it any serious damage).

Hopefully this is enough to give me a shooting chance at KOTM in June.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 02:15:35 »
I'm digging it.  Now we just need this in a split/tented format.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 10:01:11 »
Interesting keyboard.. this whole obsessive planning on when to post pictures of it around other keyboard of the month entries is incredibly lame tho, imo

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 10:06:55 »
What sort of cable does the tipro use?

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 13:26:56 »
What sort of cable does the tipro use?

I can't remember the name. It is basically ps2, except with a bit of plastic in the middle. Someone was nice enough to tell me the actual name which helped me to order it from ebay, but I really forgot.

There is a ps2 port as well, but that is intended for other keyboards. This board was intended to be used in conjunction with other Tipro products.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 13:44:48 »
Interesting keyboard.. this whole obsessive planning on when to post pictures of it around other keyboard of the month entries is incredibly lame tho, imo

You have seen me post how many times, and you still don’t get it that I think about things quite thoroughly?

Not winning keyboard of the month competition is not important to me. I am not a teenager seeking validation.

A poor showing (eg 1 vote at the nominating stage) is important to me. Hardly any ortholinear boards show up and I don’t want a public show of unpopularity for any such board including mine. I have been pushing for stuff like GH36 and Wcass to make a split linear layout Model F. Obviously these makers will be much more encouraged if there were objective signs (such as votes) that linear boards are prized by geeks. As a guy who can barely even use MSpaint I am way too far from ever making my own board, so am really dependent on enthusiasts taking this further.

Quite frankly I don’t even understand the logic behind the folks making the Planck. The tinier the board, the more one has to bring one’s hands together to use it.

Offline Snarfangel

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 16:18:04 »
I like your use of the Tipro. Really nice setup.

Now if only my G86-63400 had Cherry Blues.  :'(

The rubber domes aren't bad for rubber domes, but still...

/What my POS keyboard looked like before massive alterations, and then being stuck in a box. I might have to pull it out again.

Offline mecano

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 04:02:11 »
Finally I see your board Berserk!
Wasn't expecting so much redondant keys, but reading you it makes sense.
Really like the look of it (the left and right white areas are just saying 'land here' :D.
For the scratch and if you plan to repaint it one day you can try epoxy putty then sanding, I couldn't see the solder burn on the bottom left.
Great custom board where do we vote?

The printscreen button (next to scrolllock as usual) has been replaced by a big blank key. It is a macro key that I use a lot, so I want it accessible to both left and right hands, and also accessible by touch since it feels different from surrounding keys. Since I use autohotkey, this button is still printscreen. That way I can take screenshots when I press alt-printscreen.

Do you have to rely on autohotkey to program modifiers with this board? Not fully programmable?

Quite frankly I don’t even understand the logic behind the folks making the Planck. The tinier the board, the more one has to bring one’s hands together to use it.

Size, weight, stick to the home row?
You don't really need to gather hands, did you watch Shane's video where he shows the one hand trick?
I guess the mnemonics involved (more locations vs more combinations) also depend on the person.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 05:12:47 »
Finally I see your board Berserk!
Wasn't expecting so much redondant keys, but reading you it makes sense.
Really like the look of it (the left and right white areas are just saying 'land here' :D.
For the scratch and if you plan to repaint it one day you can try epoxy putty then sanding, I couldn't see the solder burn on the bottom left.
Great custom board where do we vote?

Do you have to rely on autohotkey to program modifiers with this board? Not fully programmable?

Size, weight, stick to the home row?
You don't really need to gather hands, did you watch Shane's video where he shows the one hand trick?
I guess the mnemonics involved (more locations vs more combinations) also depend on the person.

I don't need ahk to program this board. It can also program mouseclicks. The only reason for using Ahk is because occasionally other people use my computer, and obviously they can't use this board, so I keep a standard layer Deck Legend around for them. By using the same standard file for everything it saves me from having to remember more stuff. I have several ahk files for different layouts (with different keyboards, although I use this most often by far).

The weird symbols on the top row are my macros which don't need ahk to function.

There are still a few niggling little things about this board that I find flawed:

' " key which is too low.
Navigation keys on the bottom row. They work very well when I'm surveying a bunch of photos or navigating through many files. But when I'm typing in a word document, I want to keep typing and not move my hands and still use the arrows. Then they are fairly hard to reach. Let me take advantage of this moment to warn many people who make their own keyboards.

I notice most of you like to put the arrow cluster on the bottom. I suggest that you program a second function layer into the alpha keys, eg wasd if you are using a normal board and fast on my layout. That way you can type and do in text navigating in a word document more easily. In fact getting that second function layer programmed will be my next project. It's not hard to do at all, but I want to gather all my mods and program them together because making incremental changes are easy to forget.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 07:51:34 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Cherry-Black-Keyboard-RC80BM-003600227A-with-Card-Reader-/111671216287?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1a001f889f

I’ve posted this before. Definitely think it is worth playing around with. At $24.95 shipped CONUS, it should not cost more than $60 via proxy to make it to Japan where you are. That makes it cheaper than any mechanical keyboard you can buy on massdrop. Fully programmable!

That you can’t afford $60 is a red flag to me. I think you should log out of wallethack and never come back.

Not trying to make you feel unwelcome here, but IIRC you live in Japan and have a family. If you’re so penurious that you can’t afford $60, you need to stay away from this site before you make a rash purchase and blow the family budget for the month. Rice is $30 per bag in Japan, or so I’ve heard?

This is just a [costly] hobby. No matter what some of our less rational (and unmarried) members think, keyboards aren’t worth more than the kids. Get your priorities right. :thumb:

i kinda need to choose my wording more carefully in these cases, it's not really that i can't afford it but other priorities are coming up that cut on my keyboard budget.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition