Author Topic: Comparing stems from popular (MX) tactile switches  (Read 2390 times)

Offline Leopard223

Comparing stems from popular (MX) tactile switches
« on: Sat, 20 February 2021, 22:50:46 »
Recently got interested in tactiles, but trying tactiles can be pretty expensive, especially since many of them are not even available in low quantity, and the few discussion I found describing tactility has it's limits.
So I was interested to see the difference between the popular tactiles, I made this quick comparison with best I could find online, sizing isn't much accurate and I have no skill or tools to do this, but I tried best as I could to make it as accurate as I can.

To make it short, as I see it - bump may not be 100% identical and center pole length is different, but it seems to me that all the "big tactiles" are probably pretty much the same, apart from the Zeal v2 which seems sharper to me.
So the difference is probably the leaf, and the length of the center pole (seems like shorter travel makes it feel snappier).
I currently only got the T1 and the U4T to compare though, I may be able to get ahold of some single quantity of other tactiles soon..

LTR - T1, HP, GP, U4T, Zeal V2, U4

Also, Every bump next to each other / HP vs GP / HP vs Zeal v2 / HP vs T1 / HP vs U4T.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Comparing stems from popular (MX) tactile switches
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 21 February 2021, 15:14:15 »
I've always felt that without the nylon white blue slider, the tactiles felt as fricative as the linears. Not a fan.

MX-Buru 4 ever

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 21 February 2021, 15:52:45 »
Box Royals are the only tactile switches I enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 21 February 2021, 17:25:26 »
Royals are so intense

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 21 February 2021, 20:57:57 »
Royals are so intense
You should try them with Box Navy or Sprit 90B springs, they're even better. 

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 21 February 2021, 21:34:46 »
Box Royals are the only tactile switches I enjoy.

I’ve read such good feedbacks on Kailh’s tactiles, shame they get clicky over time. 

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 21 February 2021, 21:53:00 »
This isn't going to show what you're after.
Most have a similar sized bump, in the same location, often the only difference is the shape of the bump which is going to be miniscule changes.

In order to see it you would need to zoom in twice as far then super impose them on top of each other with accurate pics focused on the bump, even then it will tell you almost nothing a pressure chart couldn't show better.

As for TPs comment about them feeling similar, most do, for the exact reasons mentioned. One exception I've found is 62g Zeals with super light springs, these become insanely tactile, while not Box Navy levels of tactility they do rival beat Box Jades. Just don't drop below mid 40's on spring pressure as they can stick in certain situations (once in a while on a slow release).
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 09:15:02 »
Royals are so intense

Haha, sounds like typing on grenades. I'll pass  ;D

Offline funkmon

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 12:34:47 »
How is the tactility delivered in box royals?

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 13:49:31 »
Royals are so intense

Shockingly, heavier springs make them quieter.  100g in Box Navies makes them sound quieter and deeper. 

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 15:10:17 »
Royals are so intense

Shockingly, heavier springs make them quieter.  100g in Box Navies makes them sound quieter and deeper. 

Is there some sort of curve to this? Box jades sound deeper than navies with the only difference being a lighter spring.

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 15:21:34 »
This isn't going to show what you're after.
Most have a similar sized bump, in the same location, often the only difference is the shape of the bump which is going to be miniscule changes.

In order to see it you would need to zoom in twice as far then super impose them on top of each other with accurate pics focused on the bump, even then it will tell you almost nothing a pressure chart couldn't show better.

As for TPs comment about them feeling similar, most do, for the exact reasons mentioned. One exception I've found is 62g Zeals with super light springs, these become insanely tactile, while not Box Navy levels of tactility they do rival beat Box Jades. Just don't drop below mid 40's on spring pressure as they can stick in certain situations (once in a while on a slow release).
True, originally I've looked at force curve graphs but couldn't find one for the Zealios V2 (and the U4/T) so I made this.

About the super light Zeals, are you referring to the V1 or the V2?

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 16:13:30 »

Is there some sort of curve to this? Box jades sound deeper than navies with the only difference being a lighter spring.
Jades and Navies also have different click bars.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 21:00:24 »
About the super light Zeals, are you referring to the V1 or the V2?
[/quote]
I've only used V2s.

One other thing I should mention, lighter springs do not have this effect on all switches, at least not to this degree. I'm convinced it only works on sharp tactiles not rounded ones. You can get away with 39g if you solder or willing to handle an occasional stuck key, but on hot swap it's going to be a bigger issue, particularlyif you use standard lube like 205 instead of an oil based lube, hence the recommendation for staying around mid 40g.

Actual numbers I measured (unless noted)
Stock springs
62g bottom
45g activation (+/- 2.5g)
40g spring pressure at activation point (based on Sprit, not stock spring as I had no way to measure)

39g springs
39g bottom
45g activation (+/- 2.5g)
30g spring pressure at activation (according to Sprit)

There is only a 5g difference/bump between spring and leaf on the stock spring, this works out to only an 8% difference but on the 39g spring this is a 15g sharp bump, a 50% bump over spring pressure, it's a mountain. You would. need a 60g bump on the stock spring to acheive a similar feel.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 21:38:51 »
How is the tactility delivered in box royals?

Giant ass bumps with a gap deeper than Madonna’s cleavage.

Yeah.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 February 2021, 21:41:01 by ddrfraser1 »

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 23 February 2021, 08:22:16 »

Jades and Navies also have different click bars.

They have the same clickbars. The only difference is spring weight. I don't think I have any 100g box springs to put in either.