Author Topic: Psychological effects of key cap colorways and themes  (Read 3296 times)

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
Psychological effects of key cap colorways and themes
« on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 21:35:05 »
Has anyone experienced any associative effects from a particular key cap set that affected their mental state when they used their keyboard?  I ask because I'm considering buying my first custom key cap set but I'm wondering if the theme of the set will be too distracting or influence my thought patterns.  The set in question is LivingSpeedBump's JukeBox.  It's a really sharp design and it has very strong associations with the subject of its theme but also with other subjects that are influenced by the themes of the 50s, so I wonder what it would be like to look at it all day long.  I wonder if, every morning when I first look at my keyboard, I will hear in my head the narrator’s voice from Fallout 3 saying "War.  War never changes."  Will I frequently remember old Coca-Cola or Ovaltine commercials or hear 50s music in my head every time I glance down at my keyboard?  Has any GeekHack member ever found a key cap set too distracting for reasons similar to this or am I overthinking this? 

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Psychological effects of key cap colorways and themes
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 21:39:18 »
My Kentucky Wildcats caps make me horny when I type on my Kishsaver.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 22:56:25 »

ROFL!!!!!

I'm pretty sure you've overthink it, this is a hobby and it works as a pleasure

when you start doing what you're doing , you treat it more as a burden with such considerations, lets just not forget the sole purpose of keyboard. It's for typing
any other thing is just to make it look more pretty or enchance the experience due to people have personal taste
and if you've your art side of you than those various colors caps is a way to express
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 22:59:15 »
Whenever I stare at my artisans, it brings back repressed traumatic childhood memories. It's really difficult on my psyche.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 23:00:53 »
Whenever I stare at my artisans, it brings back repressed traumatic childhood memories. It's really difficult on my psyche.

Really hope it's not the bronuts....
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 23:11:30 »

Really hope it's not the bronuts....

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 22:11:26 »
This is interesting. Probably because the answer to your question is yes, for me.

Purchased Granite DSA for my Poker 2, and also bought a silver low-profile aluminium case. I used an Apple wireless keyboard everywhere I went throughout college; I think I might be trying to recreate that.

Purchased Modern Selectric SA for home use. I do my coding/tinkering at home (when I'm not on Geekhack of course), so maybe I want a keyset that's a bit more "authoritative"?

I'm neutral with artisan keycaps. They seem awesome by concept, but nothing has wowed me except for BroBots.

Offline KeypressGraphics

• Dare to Dream
    • Keypress Graphics
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 21 June 2015, 02:42:58 »
Really interesting topic derezzed.

I find white keycaps suggest a businesslike office environment to my brain, whereas black project a more casual gaming-centric computing environment.
I'm yet to own a set of colored keycaps so I can't comment on those but I expect a very bright set would draw attention to themselves and perhaps create a more playful atmosphere.
May all your key presses strike true.

Choc Mini         HHKB

Offline tbc

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 21 June 2015, 04:38:30 »

what happened yesterday?

hush child, i am here for you now.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Axollott

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 21 June 2015, 05:35:56 »
daddy, don't.

Offline abswyfe

• I <3 Geekhack
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 21 June 2015, 11:28:29 »

My easter bro caps gamer sets make me moist
Thank you all Destiny supporters and all you fun people in off topic! I think I will try to stick around for a while!

Offline rsbseb

• -Horned Rabbit-
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 21 June 2015, 21:29:36 »
Any environmental stimulation can effect ones psyche. Lighting, color, sounds, and texture can stimulate moods and emotions in most people. sometimes good and sometimes bad. If you are drawn to a particular color scheme then it's probably a good thing unless it becomes a distraction for whatever work you may be doing. There are some colors that would not be good for me because they might trigger some mild PTSD anxiety and some of the artisan caps out there would cause me to loose some sleep if they were in my home  :))

But each to there own. I'd say if it appeals to you get it, if you don't like it you can sell it or use it for parts in developing your own keyboard art in conjunction with another set down the road.

Offline GSimon

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 21 June 2015, 21:56:09 »
Has any GeekHack member ever found a key cap set too distracting for reasons similar to this or am I overthinking this?

You might initially be reminded of something, although I doubt it could be at all distracting and overtime the memories you associate with it will probably diminish.

I think certain colorways certainly give off different vibes. In most business settings I couldn't see myself using sets like the Miami set or even the Bro Set due to their loud colors, I'd be uncomfortable also with SA / DSA profile keycaps because they are too unusual. A good business keyset IMO is one like this: http://imsto.cn/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=59 which I actually picked up for my dad because I wanted to replace the cheap gamer keys the stock QuickFire XT had.

It is interesting trying to determine why certain colorways are as appealing as they are. Hyperfuse for example I feel like it shouldn't be that enticing (tho it is) nor Dolch, it initially felt boring.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 21 June 2015, 22:54:12 »
I had a weird experience where a KUL ES-87 with MX Clears, with GMK Cyrillic and GMK Purple mods made me nauseous every time I typed on it. Some kind of messed up physiological response...
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 01:54:32 »
I personally think the responses you mentioned are positive, calming and enjoyable, not distracting. I do have associations like that with certain colourways / sets, but find it doesn't affect my work / typing, except perhaps in slightly positive way, in that I enjoy using them more than other sets. I have really enjoyed using Cherry Legends Replica, Nostalgia (despite them both being thin DCS profile), Penumbra, PuLSE and Hack'd by Geeks in particular. Haven't put 1976 on any boards yet, but that set reminds me of Portal 2 and Cave Johnson ;) Still would enjoy using it.

Really looking forward to getting Retro SA, Jukebox, Penumbra Round 2 and Carbon :D (I need more keyboards for all these sets....)
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline blastoid

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 13:50:00 »
What kind of plebian looks at their keyboard????  :eek:

;D

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 22:47:54 »

;D

The kind that spends a couple hundred dollars to tart up their keyboard.

TIL: 

Not to dress like the Kentucky Wildcats mascot at any costume party CPTBadass will be attending.

CPTBadass's typing face
104106-0

Absyrd is married to former White House press correspondent Helen Thomas
104108-1

intelli78's anecdote may be evidence of another previously unknown military experiment on US citizens.

In time, I won't even notice that the Futurama theme song is playing in my head, over and over and over, while the Jukebox set is in front of me.  Though, I may lack the constitution necessary to handle the Manly Unicorn set.

I'm really tempted to get Jukebox but I'm not too keen on waiting until September to get it.  Plus, I really want to get the Toxic set (it's going to go on my custom board when I finally build it), and I'm not sure I can buy both without my wife killing me in my sleep.  Well, I've still got 3 days to decide, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a round 2 for Jukebox...

Thanks for your input, everyone.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 17:58:03 »
Has any GeekHack member ever found a key cap set too distracting for reasons similar to this or am I overthinking this?

unpopular opinion I think most Cherry sets are way too distracting. Sometimes in a good way, sometimes...not so much. Then again there is 1976, designed to be just that...

;D

If I had a Clack, any Clack, I'd be looking at my keyboard long and hard to question the decision I've made to acquire one of these.

« Last Edit: Thu, 25 June 2015, 17:59:58 by jerue »

Offline MajorMajor

• Mechanical Keyboard Enthusiast
    • Coding Supply
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 01:39:00 »
I have a black keyboard chassis with white keycaps, and I do feel like it's a bit distracting from my peripherals. Waiting to find a good groupbuy to get in on.
TKL / Clears / Dvorak / Flipped Space for Life / Best Programming Keyboards