Author Topic: [RIP] No More Elvish (Sindarin) Keycap Set  (Read 124111 times)

Offline acantha

• Aure Entuluva
Re: [RIP] No More Elvish (Sindarin) Keycap Set
« Reply #400 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 15:55:05 »
if people are interested, theres alos this layout: http://quenya101.com/2013/09/13/the-all-elvish-tengwar-keyboard/

if youw anted to do a wasd set
All the Happy Hacking Things

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
« Reply #401 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 22:16:17 »
:( :( :(

What a sad day :(
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline vierax

« Reply #402 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 22:29:18 »
And some weeks before Matteo wondered (in another IC) why this fee didn't appear for Sindarin… DSA PBT dyesubbed full sets are cursed.

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
« Reply #403 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 22:39:21 »
How about changing it up to DCS again? :(
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #404 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 07:10:57 »
Ah that's too bad. I know you must both have put a lot of work into getting this off the ground. Fingers crossed this becomes possible sometime in the future.

Offline jdeblese

« Reply #405 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 08:09:51 »
And some weeks before Matteo wondered (in another IC) why this fee didn't appear for Sindarin… DSA PBT dyesubbed full sets are cursed.

Which fee is that? Did a quick search but I'm not sure which thread you're referring to.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #406 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 08:44:03 »
IF you like, I could include this in next dyesubs groupbuy I do with imsto production.

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
« Reply #407 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 08:49:48 »
IF you like, I could include this in next dyesubs groupbuy I do with imsto production.

Here comes the savior!
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline Mad_Doktor

« Reply #408 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 11:09:49 »
I am sad to see this ground to a halt and I appreciate that you guys are closing this GB down before it gets out of hand.

I joined GH because of this GB and have enjoyed getting into the world of keyboards and keycaps since.

Thanks guys.

md
CM QFR - Cherry Blue | CM Storm Trigger - Cherry Brown | Keycool 84 - Cherry Black | Corsair K95 - Cherry Red | IBM Model M '93

Offline acantha

• Aure Entuluva
« Reply #409 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 11:12:05 »

i'd buy it

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #410 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 11:13:45 »
Sadly, the imsto caps just don't fit the picture for me, but I was already out.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #411 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 14:11:49 »

We could not get Imsto to do the green mods.  He said he can't get them shot, and that he couldn't guarantee the quality of dyed keycaps.

However, if you can in fact get this done, Matt3o and I will gladly send you the SVG file.

Best regards,

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline vierax

« Reply #412 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 16:49:09 »

Which fee is that? Did a quick search but I'm not sure which thread you're referring to.
This one and lower in the page he explains that this fee is for the missing printing heads : it lacks some of them to have all the keycaps size needed to a classic keyboard

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #413 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 17:36:58 »
Perhaps you could get blank PBT caps from SP in proper colors and then forward them to IMSTO for dye sublimation?  Akin to what Ragnarok has done with his current ZOMG novelty cap group buy. 
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #414 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 17:45:07 »
Perhaps you could get blank PBT caps from SP in proper colors and then forward them to IMSTO for dye sublimation?  Akin to what Ragnarok has done with his current ZOMG novelty cap group buy.

At this point, thick pbt cherry profile from imsto is the same (or better depending on your preference!)

But if the UV dyesub GB produce some great results, it could be interesting to consider for this set!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #415 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 18:05:00 »

At this point, thick pbt cherry profile from imsto is the same (or better depending on your preference!)

But if the UV dyesub GB produce some great results, it could be interesting to consider for this set!

I don't think IMSTO has access to thick PBT caps in green color.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
« Reply #416 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 20:36:36 »

This one and lower in the page he explains that this fee is for the missing printing heads : it lacks some of them to have all the keycaps size needed to a classic keyboard

in this thread he said "The only alternative would be to go DCS (PBT+dyesub)." So is there a possibility to revive this using just DCS? if thats the case I'm willing to set aside DSA just to get Sindarin.
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline jdeblese

« Reply #417 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 06:04:47 »

If I understand correctly, the problem is that there are no dyesubbing tools for DSA 1.25 mods? In that case, is there any interest for just a base set, possibly with blank mods? I assume that would avoid the extra fee, and would at least get us the tengwar and tethar.

in this thread he said "The only alternative would be to go DCS (PBT+dyesub)." So is there a possibility to revive this using just DCS? if thats the case I'm willing to set aside DSA just to get Sindarin.

Guess that would be possible as well, but then you risk restarting the discussion on what the layout should be. I'm more a fan of DSA, in any case.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #418 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 10:29:42 »
Well, the problem with getting specific color that is not in stock with imsto is a matter of quantity. Needs like 10,000 or something to place order the factory for it. So I suppose since it is fairly unrealistic for us to get to such a number it might as well be no access to it true. If you don't go with something else by the time I'm ready for the next round then I would likely just shortcut and use the same color base sets as everything else so you could have this legends but not the same base set as originally.

Offline vierax

« Reply #419 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 19:03:26 »

If I understand correctly, the problem is that there are no dyesubbing tools for DSA 1.25 mods? In that case, is there any interest for just a base set, possibly with blank mods? I assume that would avoid the extra fee, and would at least get us the tengwar and tethar.
I think it lacks more than the 125 and I don't think Matt and Sam want to continue just for a base set (unfortunately)

Offline jdeblese

« Reply #420 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 07:16:03 »
I think it lacks more than the 125 and I don't think Matt and Sam want to continue just for a base set (unfortunately)

Matt3o says in that thread that it's the 1.25, shift and return that's missing.

But in any case, seems he's still negotiating with SP about that beige DSA set, so we'll see.

Offline vierax

« Reply #421 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 03:06:04 »

Matt3o says in that thread that it's the 1.25, shift and return that's missing.
But in any case, seems he's still negotiating with SP about that beige DSA set, so we'll see.
I missed that here but he told approx the same on DT in the beige set thread.
There's still hope for DSA and SA dyesub PBT :)

Offline jalli

« Reply #422 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 20:25:30 »
How many orders would it take to realistically cover the multi thousand dollar charges, the reason I'm asking is that one of the games I play is LOTRO (Lord of the Rings Online) and I figure there are probably dozens if not hundreds of people that play the game and would really love to get a Sindarin keycap set.

Is there any point in me trying to get interest in the forums there, would the organizers be interested in reviving if we had a lot more people to cover tooling?
Antonia

Offline vierax

« Reply #423 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 21:00:50 »
As I remember it's 4000usd for the missing heating heads. But Matteo told he is negociating.

My idea was to make a giant PBT dyesub GB with sindarin and other projects to absorb this fee easily. But too much choices may rise MOQs and people don't have an extensible wallet : It can create a lot of frustration.

Offline jalli

« Reply #424 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 21:12:20 »
At $4000 we I think we would need at least 100 sets to cover the tooling, I'm totally up for the task of trying to get 100 people for the group buy if there is still interest on the organizers behalf.
Antonia

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #425 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 21:48:53 »
At $4000 we I think we would need at least 100 sets to cover the tooling, I'm totally up for the task of trying to get 100 people for the group buy if there is still interest on the organizers behalf.

That would be the cost of the keycaps PLUS an extra $40 for each and every set.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #426 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 00:01:06 »
What are these missing heating heads? Why does that sound like something along the lines of "cost of running a business", and shouldn't be passed onto us?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #427 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 07:20:33 »
What are these missing heating heads? Why does that sound like something along the lines of "cost of running a business", and shouldn't be passed onto us?

I agree on that and I'm indeed trying to negotiate that cost.

Offline Mad_Doktor

« Reply #428 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 08:56:36 »

I agree on that and I'm indeed trying to negotiate that cost.

Thanks for the effort dude ^_^
CM QFR - Cherry Blue | CM Storm Trigger - Cherry Brown | Keycool 84 - Cherry Black | Corsair K95 - Cherry Red | IBM Model M '93

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #429 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 22:48:20 »
This is amazing..  :thumb:

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #430 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 11:46:39 »
I stepped away and came back to a 15-page RIP thread?  Maybe this doesn't have to die.

Well, it is dead already, so I guess this is a necromancy (eschatology?) thread now -- Undead SIndarin Keycaps!

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s.  Who remembers A/UX and its Eschatology partition?
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
« Reply #431 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 11:51:08 »
I stepped away and came back to a 15-page RIP thread?  Maybe this doesn't have to die.

Well, it is dead already, so I guess this is a necromancy (eschatology?) thread now -- Undead SIndarin Keycaps!

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s.  Who remembers A/UX and its Eschatology partition?

Sam, even dcs ds wouldn't be possible? :(
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline tradet

« Reply #432 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 13:49:25 »
If it truly comes to a resurrection, I would sure be in for the fun.

Hope never dies.

Offline IcyEyeG

« Reply #433 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 03:29:32 »
If anyone really, really wants Sindarin/Elvish keycaps, we would be happy to send a copy of the layout file over to WASD Keyboards.  They have indicated to me that they can laser etch sets onto their customizable ABS keycaps.

Why not doing the opposite? Like releasing the layout file here, so that we can order the custom keyboard at WASD Keyboards?
You could even release it under a CC license (example), if you want.

Offline jdeblese

« Reply #434 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 09:54:13 »
Zombie threads FTW!

Seems the missing dyesub heads have been purchased, if Granite DSA is anything to go by, so that solves that problem. Is there still enough interest from people to get this made in some way?

Offline Mad_Doktor

« Reply #435 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 10:29:36 »
Zombie threads FTW!

Seems the missing dyesub heads have been purchased, if Granite DSA is anything to go by, so that solves that problem. Is there still enough interest from people to get this made in some way?

Still interested.

Offline jalli

« Reply #436 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 11:41:34 »
100% onboard for reviving this!
Antonia

Offline tradet

« Reply #437 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 11:43:01 »
Also still interested.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #438 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 11:44:49 »
I thought this was cancelled due to copyright issues?
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
« Reply #439 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 11:46:03 »
Zombie threads FTW!

As a fan of LoTR I asked Matt3o in pm. He said that we can actually revive this maybe after the gb.
So maybe we just need to convince him about it :)
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline acantha

• Aure Entuluva
« Reply #440 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 11:46:27 »
I thought this was cancelled due to copyright issues?

if they can get the star trek or serenity keys printed, then i fail to see how this would be problematic.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #441 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 12:02:48 »
My understanding is that you can't copyright or trademark the look and feel of a typeface.  We are free to imitate any typeface we want as long as we create the artwork ourselves.  SP did the Cherry replica keys without issue, and were aware explicitly that we were copying Cherry's font.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #442 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 12:27:23 »
I wanted to run a combined GB for: aurebesh, klingon, sindarin (maybe with common modifiers, I don't know).

To be clear 3 different sets, not 1 with 3 legends.

Offline pasph

« Reply #443 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 15:30:27 »
Matt3o, seriously, summer is approaching and you have to take a rest.
This is an advice coming right from my wallet to you...
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #444 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 17:01:21 »
don't worry, midnight set and then I'll take a rest :)

Offline Kayla

• :3
« Reply #445 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 10:09:56 »
So disappointed this died. :( Any layout plans? I seen them mentioned in the first post?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #446 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 10:23:43 »
read two posts above :)

Offline ullr

« Reply #447 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 03:31:58 »
Man, on the subject of alternate alphabets, what I would do for a set of the Shavian alphabet... A shame there's almost zero interest and no official keyboard layout. I've designed my own, though.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #448 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 05:49:46 »
The idea would be to make symbolic mods common to all, and then add some weird alphas... but I'm not sure there would be enough interest

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #449 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 03:03:21 »
this will come back real soon... stay tuned :)