Author Topic: The Ergonomic Task Chair Guide & Discussion  (Read 118366 times)

Offline pby

Re: The Ergonomic Task Chair Guide & Discussion
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 18:08:45 »
I don't think anyone actually needs an "ergonomic chair"

the only difference between comfortable and back-pain is "feet on the floor, and a pillow in the right place"
What works for you might not work for everyone. I've used one of those lumbar support cushions for a bit, it isn't too bad if you're only sitting for an hour or two, my neck and back can't stand it for longer periods.
I don't think you truly appreciate a chair that actually fits and supports you. I tried about a dozen of ergo chairs and even then I've bought three different ones before I found the right one. Now happy with the humanscale freedom.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 18:22:40 »
Unfortunately it's a bit expensive to buy different chairs to try and then return. I find that even sitting in a chair in-store for an hour isn't enough to indicate if it's comfortable in the long run or not. Part of the chair's comfort also depends on your desk as well. For example, arm rest height. If your keyboard tray or desk is too high for your arms, the chair will help with that but then your arms will be slightly higher than optimal too.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline pby

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 19:22:28 »
Yea I totally agree with you, trial and error isn't exactly wallet friendly. Could suggest buying used then reselling if they chair didn't work out.

Have to say the chair will not fix a desk or keyboard too high/low for you. You only adjust the height for your legs, you're looking at another problem if desk height is causing discomfort.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 19:48:35 »
Sit4less.com used to have a 356 day return policy on most of their chairs, including Herman Miller.  I guess it was too good to be true, but something like that is ideal for trying out a chair.  You could sit in the store for a week and still not have an experience indicative of long term effects.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 19:59:33 »
sit4less used to have all kinds of shady and too-good-to-be-true policies. i believe that, because of this, last time i called them they were purchased by another firm (i believe officedesigns.net) and no longer do anything shady (although their prices still look pretty good!). the good news though is that the new owners are not shady and will actually take care of you, so i think overall it's a win-win.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 21:51:27 »
Not sure about all that... I bought an Aeron from them in 2002 and did occasional maintenance on it for 10 years through them. Then, I bought an Embody from them and used it for 6 months and actually took advantage of the 365 return policy! I only paid for shipping.  And then I ended up getting another Embody from a friend that worked at a Herman Miller show room for half price... felt kind of bad. :)  But regardless, the old sit4less treated me pretty good.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 22:48:53 »
My office has a ton of those Steelcase Leap chairs.  I use some generic chair because I think it's more comfortable :P

Offline Saturn

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 15:52:48 »
Anyone know anything about this vendor?

http://www.madisonseating.com/leap-chair-by-steelcase.html

That leap looks pretty cheap.  Supposedly an open box model, but otherwise new.  But it does say in big bold print that they're not authorized
Steelcase dealers.

Does this look legit?  I'd love to be able to save several hundred bucks, if I know the retailer can be trusted.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 15:56:01 »
Anyone know anything about this vendor?

http://www.madisonseating.com/leap-chair-by-steelcase.html

That leap looks pretty cheap.  Supposedly an open box model, but otherwise new.  But it does say in big bold print that they're not authorized
Steelcase dealers.

Does this look legit?  I'd love to be able to save several hundred bucks, if I know the retailer can be trusted.

I would not recommend buying from them.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Madison_Seating
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Offline Saturn

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 16:00:16 »
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.  Thanks for the info.

any authorized dealers that actually come close to that in price, though?  Cost is a major limiting factor for me.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 16:05:14 »
There aren't any authorized dealers that would sell chairs for that low. The closest you'll get is from the annual/seasonal sales that steelcase and HM have for 10-15% off. The Amia or Sayl would probably be the best chairs for a lower budget.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 May 2013, 16:06:50 by thegunner100 »

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 23:18:33 »
I bought a Steelcase Leap from Madison.  It did take longer than usual to ship but did finally arrive after about four weeks. Would I buy from them again?  I don't know. The ratings sure don't look encouraging.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: The Ergonomic Task Chair Guide &amp; Discussion
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 23:26:34 »
I just bought a SteelCase Criterion on Monday. I had some Serta Leather chair from OfficeMax and thought it was amazing until I sat in Steelcase Leap or Criterion chairs at work. I was also getting shoulder pains from the Serta chair. Now my Criterion has adjustable armrests, reclining back, soft fabric cushion that won't deform/be flat after 6 months, and I can actually put my feet flat on the ground.

Oh and there's a shop in town that buys old office furniture, refurbishes them, then sells em at a discount. I got the Criterion at almost 1/5 the cost ^__^
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 September 2013, 08:08:58 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Dyslexic

• All we love we leave behind
Re: The Ergonomic Task Chair Guide &amp; Discussion
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 10:53:07 »
I just bought a SteelCase Criterion on Monday. I had some Serta Leather chair from OfficeMax and thought it was amazing until I said in Steelcase Leap or Criterion chairs at work. I was also getting shoulder pains from the Serta chair. Now my Criterion has adjustable armrests, reclining back, soft fabric cushion that won't deform/be flat after 6 months, and I can actually put my feet flat on the ground.

Oh and there's a shop in town that buys old office furniture, refurbishes them, then sells em at a discount. I got the Criterion at almost 1/5 the cost ^__^

Long time lurker who registered to reply. :) I got a SteelCase Criterion yesterday as well. I'm in Ottawa and sleuthed kijiji for deals on a nice ergo task chair and found a Steelcase Criterion in amazing shape for $150. I was replacing a piece of crap chair I bought from Staples 3 years ago, and the difference so far is incredible. Getting a $900 chair for $150 is a nice feeling too! The biggest thing for me is being able to flip the switch for leaning back. I'm always supported whether I want to slouch of maintain proper posture.
| HHKB Type-S | FC660C Silenced | ReΛlforce 23UB

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 12:41:28 »
I totally agree Dyslexic, the back support on this chair in incredible and I just had to replicate it at home.

Also side note but, a fellow Converge fan?? Jane Doe and Axe to Fall are incredible albums. :D

Offline Dyslexic

• All we love we leave behind
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 12:16:25 »
I totally agree Dyslexic, the back support on this chair in incredible and I just had to replicate it at home.

Also side note but, a fellow Converge fan?? Jane Doe and Axe to Fall are incredible albums. :D

Yeah, I'm now in an ergo setup at home and work and the consistency is showing in my reduced back and leg pain.

Converge are where it's at man, All We Love We Leave Behind has been on constant rotation since it dropped. :D
| HHKB Type-S | FC660C Silenced | ReΛlforce 23UB

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 00:20:00 »
there's a 15% off HM sale at officedesigns.com right now as well.

also sit4less has relaunched as sit4somethingelse with pretty reasonable prices. i believe it's the same owners as officedesigns.com

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 16:35:55 »
damm, I were just trying to save money ...
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 16:38:13 »
damm, I were just trying to save money ...

Unless you buy used, don't skimp on a good ergonomic chair imo =/. You'll learn the hard way if you have to return your chair >.>.

Offline n0rvig

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 16:42:58 »
Aeron owners, I've got a Aeron with the Lumbar back support and I've been wondering if it would be an improvement to switch to the Posture fit. Any advice?

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 18:48:08 »
Aeron owners, I've got a Aeron with the Lumbar back support and I've been wondering if it would be an improvement to switch to the Posture fit. Any advice?

Yes, I thought the Posture Fit was a great upgrade.  (I started with lumbar too)  Mine did break and had to get another one... the plastic didn't seem as strong as it could have been.  I forget if HM paid for the replacement of if I did.  Either way, moving the pressure down to your lower back/butt area is a big deal.  I think that's kind of a "solution" to a problem they discovered over the years.  (Since the original Aeron came out so long ago.)

Offline n0rvig

« Reply #71 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 22:48:45 »
Yes, I thought the Posture Fit was a great upgrade.  (I started with lumbar too)  Mine did break and had to get another one... the plastic didn't seem as strong as it could have been.  I forget if HM paid for the replacement of if I did.  Either way, moving the pressure down to your lower back/butt area is a big deal.  I think that's kind of a "solution" to a problem they discovered over the years.  (Since the original Aeron came out so long ago.)

Great to hear. Thanks Aggiejy. I'll snag the next one I see on amazon. It's fun to have a chair with so many knobs and tweaks..

Offline actionbastard

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 23:30:33 »
Does anyone have a HaraChair?
XArmor U9BL-S | Ducky DK9008G2 PRO | ErgoDox (soon)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 01:00:32 »
POSTUREFIT. ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES

the lumbar pad thing is a joke. it's pretty wildly ineffective.

is this the harachair?

i would like my buttocks to be pleased..

actually, realtalk. my grandmother has a really bad back. nerve damage and two crushed discs. she tried one of those vertically split chairs and it did absolutely nothing for her. the reason why was actually that it was just too big. the most important thing isn't some gimmicky design element, but that the chair is adjustable to _your_ body and workflow.
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 August 2013, 01:02:20 by mkawa »

Offline actionbastard

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 01:56:43 »
POSTUREFIT. ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES

the lumbar pad thing is a joke. it's pretty wildly ineffective.

is this the harachair?

i would like my buttocks to be pleased..

actually, realtalk. my grandmother has a really bad back. nerve damage and two crushed discs. she tried one of those vertically split chairs and it did absolutely nothing for her. the reason why was actually that it was just too big. the most important thing isn't some gimmicky design element, but that the chair is adjustable to _your_ body and workflow.
Yeah, well, I pulled the trigger on one.
Here's to hoping South Korea chair is best chair.
I'll let you guys know.

Offline kittykatmax

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 23:43:58 »
I have a Steelcase Leap and I love it.  Bought it from SmartFurniture.com and I highly recommend them, too.  They price match, and if you don't like the chair, they pay return shipping if you change your mind within 30 days (and haven't done bad things to the chair, of course).  I love my chair, but the first one wound up defective (horrible squeaks and scary clunks) after a few months.  Smart Furniture arranged for Steelcase to take back the chair, and ordered me a brand new one, which has been fine. 

Next, we ordered a Herman Miller Aeron for hubby.  He'd had one at work and loved it, but found this one horribly uncomfortable.  We took SmartFurniture up on their return policy, and they took the chair back with zero hassles.  Only caveat we found is if you can't bring the chair to UPS (and we couldn't), you'll have to pay the small fee for the home pick-up.

If you can, it's always best to try out chairs in person.  I was able to find a (relatively) close dealer to try out the various Steelcase options, but the closest Herman Miller showroom was a three hour drive.  The key thing to remember is that everyone is different, so the perfect chair isn't the same from person to person.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline actionbastard

« Reply #76 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 13:24:14 »
*Update on HaraChair
the chair is hard. I think it could be better if it was more padded.
Split back is just dumb personally as one side just seems to jab you.
Spit bottom could isnt terrible, but the arm wrests are attached to each side.
The only truly comfortable position is fully reclined, which isn't very productive for me.
 :rolleyes: Oh well, live and learn.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #77 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 13:26:52 »
*Update on HaraChair
The only truly comfortable position is fully reclined, which isn't very productive for me.

No returns on it? How much did you pay for it btw?

Offline actionbastard

« Reply #78 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 14:44:29 »
*Update on HaraChair

No returns on it? How much did you pay for it btw?
Yeah, there's a return on it. Seller semms cool.
Paid 200.
Just gotta take a hit to ship the thing back. ($45-60)

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 21:27:08 »
I've got a Steelcase Criterion stool for my sit-stand desks. I've used one at work for 15 years and it's been a champ, all it needed recently was a new gas cylinder. Most adjustable and comfortable chair I've used.
TECK 209 Blank Keys; Leopold Number Pad; X-Keys Professional; X-Keys 84.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 21:38:08 »
Welcome back Architect.

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
« Reply #81 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 08:35:55 »
Welcome back Architect.

Thanks. I saw the page you have on your ergodox custom keyboard, really nice work. I tried that trackball but it doesn't play well with OS X, just keeps waking the computer up (intermittent USB pings I suppose).
TECK 209 Blank Keys; Leopold Number Pad; X-Keys Professional; X-Keys 84.

Offline dotancohen

• Dotan Cohen
« Reply #82 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 04:56:57 »
I go to sit in an Aeron for a few days. The chair was great: the distance from the edge of the seat to the start of the backrest is a bit shorter than other chairs, and was a perfect match for my body. The arm rests curve in to support your arms while typing. Both my feet could stay flat on the floor with my shoulders back and my arms supported.

It is worth the money, and I will probably buy one.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #83 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 06:35:03 »
Wow, I didn't realize that this thread was stickied! I do apologize for not posting much on GH nowadays, but if there is anything I can do to improve the guide or add to it, please let me know!

Offline chill1217

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 17:17:20 »
is there any place to get a posturefit cheaper than the $95 on amazon/ebay?

Offline fingerminger

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 02:23:22 »
I just got a lifeform eclipse. at roughly $1000 it wasn't an easy decision but I wouldn't go back to much less. My office has Aerons which are pretty nice too and similar in terms of construction quality but I still like mine better.

my main thoughts on the ergonomic chair thing so far:

swivel arm rests/arm rests that move inwards = win... I had no idea how necessary this was until I tried them

this thing is pretty plain jane looking, but man after sitting in it for a while it's just so obvious the difference in quality of construction from the weight of the thing (difficult to pick up) to the configurability.

I decided to try out the chairs at the local Orifice Despot to see if I could get away with returning this one, but after using it for a few days even the $300 chairs there felt just totally wrong. also none of them were rated for more than "2-4" hours of continuous usage

moral of the story: don't be afraid to invest money in your chair if you spend a lot of time (8+ hours per day)  at your computer esp if it's your career (bloggers, designers, developers), you get what you pay for

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 21:30:40 »
I just got a lifeform eclipse. at roughly $1000 it wasn't an easy decision but I wouldn't go back to much less. My office has Aerons which are pretty nice too and similar in terms of construction quality but I still like mine better.

my main thoughts on the ergonomic chair thing so far:

swivel arm rests/arm rests that move inwards = win... I had no idea how necessary this was until I tried them

this thing is pretty plain jane looking, but man after sitting in it for a while it's just so obvious the difference in quality of construction from the weight of the thing (difficult to pick up) to the configurability.

I decided to try out the chairs at the local Orifice Despot to see if I could get away with returning this one, but after using it for a few days even the $300 chairs there felt just totally wrong. also none of them were rated for more than "2-4" hours of continuous usage

moral of the story: don't be afraid to invest money in your chair if you spend a lot of time (8+ hours per day)  at your computer esp if it's your career (bloggers, designers, developers), you get what you pay for

Welcome to GH! Thanks for sharing that with us.

Offline pandather

• Formerly gopanthersgo1
  • Hello, I'm Mark.
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 00:44:42 »
Could anyone spread some light on a good kneeling chair to me?  Thanks all! <3

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #88 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 08:43:49 »
I had the chance to try out a Herman Miller Embody on Friday. That thing was REALLY comfortable. I've never seen a chair that had back support like that and it had so many adjustments. Wish it wasn't so pricey but I'm still happy with my Steelcase. :D

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #89 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 08:53:24 »
I had the chance to try out a Herman Miller Embody on Friday. That thing was REALLY comfortable. I've never seen a chair that had back support like that and it had so many adjustments. Wish it wasn't so pricey but I'm still happy with my Steelcase. :D

I've tried the embody before but didn't think much of it cause there was a salesman next to me >.>

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #90 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 08:58:38 »
Oh, and... does anyone know how to clean the uphoistery/cloth on the chairs? More specifically on steelcases. My seat is getting dirty from me eating on it all the time :(

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #91 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 09:02:10 »

I've tried the embody before but didn't think much of it cause there was a salesman next to me >.>

The one I sat in was at someone's home so I got to enjoy it without anyone trying to sell me things.

Oh, and... does anyone know how to clean the uphoistery/cloth on the chairs? More specifically on steelcases. My seat is getting dirty from me eating on it all the time :(

I'd also like to know this.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #92 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 22:39:15 »

The one I sat in was at someone's home so I got to enjoy it without anyone trying to sell me things.

I'd also like to know this.

Anyone ever try anything to clean the cloth on a Steelcase?  I just picked up a Leap on Craigslist for $20 and would like to clean it before I use it.  The chair looks and smells clean (it actually looks brand new), but I am a bit ocd with cleaning stuff. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #93 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 00:20:08 »
$20?!?!?! WHAT?!?!

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 00:42:05 »
$20?!?!?! WHAT?!?!

$20??? Damn. Pics now please. It must be a version1 then. Only way it could make sense..

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #95 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 02:18:32 »
$20?!?!?! WHAT?!?!

$20?!?!?! WHAT?!?!

$20??? Damn. Pics now please. It must be a version1 then. Only way it could make sense..

I will get some pics in the morning.  Pretty sure it is v1. Nevermind, went out to the car to check (picked it up on the way to work), Steelcase Leap V2  ;D.  I have been looking for a replacement chair for a while, and when I saw that one posted, I jumped on it.  Pictures were horrible and there was no to know for sure until I get there to look at it.  Sure enough, big old steelcase logo on the back.   :thumb: 
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 October 2013, 02:26:57 by Badwrench »

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 09:43:13 »
$20?!?!?! WHAT?!?!

$20?!?!?! WHAT?!?!

I will get some pics in the morning.  Pretty sure it is v1. Nevermind, went out to the car to check (picked it up on the way to work), Steelcase Leap V2  ;D.  I have been looking for a replacement chair for a while, and when I saw that one posted, I jumped on it.  Pictures were horrible and there was no to know for sure until I get there to look at it.  Sure enough, big old steelcase logo on the back.   :thumb:

wow! amazing find :) congrats!!

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 14:09:06 »
Yeah, I am stoked.  Got it in and cleaned it.  Sprayed it down with Fabreeze and wiped it down with a wash cloth with warm water. 

39475-0

39477-1

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #98 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 14:32:27 »
Yeah, I am stoked.  Got it in and cleaned it.  Sprayed it down with Fabreeze and wiped it down with a wash cloth with warm water. 

Awesome! Grats on the purchase. Btw you should raise your bookshelf speakers so that the tweeters are aimed at your ears ^^

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 14:55:13 »
DUDE... $20 for a Leap is just insane. :)  Luckiest guy ever!