Author Topic: Using a numpad on the left side  (Read 24563 times)

Offline asgeirtj

Re: Using a numpad on the left side
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 20:11:25 »
I'm right handed and still like to 10-key with that hand so I just moved the numpad to the opposite side of the mouse.

Code: [Select]
[ - - - keyboard - - - ] [ mouse ] [ numpad ]

Seemed like the thing to do. /shrug

problem with that is that moving from the keyboard to the pad is a loong distance
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline Data

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 06:47:13 »
I'm right handed and still like to 10-key with that hand so I just moved the numpad to the opposite side of the mouse.

Code: [Select]
[ - - - keyboard - - - ] [ mouse ] [ numpad ]

Seemed like the thing to do. /shrug

problem with that is that moving from the keyboard to the pad is a loong distance

Doesn't have to be.  What's your priority?  If you're entering numbers that frequently then maybe you should use a full-size board.  Or better yet, assign the numpad to its own layer under the alphas (in firmware).  Then your hands don't need to move at all.   ;)

I like 10-key for number entry but I don't do it so often that traversing the mouse to use the numpad is even a distant problem.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 10:36:45 »
Some reasons why I like having the numpad in its usual position in a full-size keyboard:
-I like having my thumb on the arrow keys while using the numpad, and to have the navigation keys within easy reach without having to toggle numlock.
-My chair's position is dictated by my desk, and my normal configuration of stuff has no space to the left of the keyboard, so the mouse winds up in the same place no matter which side of the keyboard the number pad is on.
-I'm right-handed, and prefer to use the numpad with my dominant hand.
-The placement of long keys on the number pad is more suitable for the right hand.
-Having nothing to the left of the alphanumeric area makes hand placement easier.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 21:03:11 »
Hey there

I was wondering if anyone right handed has found utility in using a numpad left to your tkl/75%/etc.  and has gotten used to using it and can use it with similar skill as a right hand numpad?.

I was left-handed before they told me to switch (1st grade or so), and I could probably still find it as easy to use if not easier on the left-hand side, given time, especially as I can use the mouse in my left hand if I really have to (some years ago I could and did switch mouse hands more easily). Bonus: a left numpad wouldn't get in the way of your mouse for a right-handed person. Think TKL benefits without giving up the numpad.