Author Topic: CNC Machining Expected Cost and Good Companies  (Read 5907 times)

Offline megan0529

CNC Machining Expected Cost and Good Companies
« on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 08:56:25 »
What is the typical cost people pay to have their first keyboard prototype CNC machined and does anyone know any good/affordable companies for me to get a quote from?

Offline clonetropboi

Re: CNC Machining Expected Cost and Good Companies
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 14:25:16 »
Well it really depends on your design and where you get it from. Expect around $500 or so but it might get more expensive or maybe cheaper but it depends on the design primarily. I would say look into dadesin CNC and get a quote from them. Do you have a design yet? Maybe post some renderings or PM me and I can see what it may cost.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 22:42:33 »
$500 is very much on the low end even for a simple design and that doesn't even include anodizing or a pcb, expect another couple hundred for those if you want them.
If you're in a hurry or you need a 5 axis mill or multiple operations that number can easily double. Your best deal is going to be a local guy working out of his garage (check Craigslist and Facebook).

Get a 3d printer and start there, if it saves you one mistake it will have paid for itself.
Meanwhile you can shop around looking for quotes while you learn what does and does not work.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 16:32:34 »
$500 is very much on the low end even for a simple design and that doesn't even include anodizing or a pcb, expect another couple hundred for those if you want them.
If you're in a hurry or you need a 5 axis mill or multiple operations that number can easily double. Your best deal is going to be a local guy working out of his garage (check Craigslist and Facebook).

Get a 3d printer and start there, if it saves you one mistake it will have paid for itself.
Meanwhile you can shop around looking for quotes while you learn what does and does not work.

You're totally right about using a 3D printer for prototyping. Even better if you can use one without buying it. 3D printing isn't sexy, but physical prototypes will make confirming dimensions and fitment much easier.

Offline mike-y

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 19:25:59 »
3d printing and learn some modeling software like Fusion 360.  Then model everything in your prototype.  If you don't model everything, something will be slightly off, and you'll have to print again.  I made a few prototypes of the keyboard I'm typing on right now.  Case was modeled in fusion and 3d printed on my printer.  I had someone design the pcb, and then sent the files to PCBway for manufacturing.  the plate is laser cut stainless steel from laserboost.

If you make just one prototype, the cost per unit is super high.  I got 5 pcb's made for about $300 amd 5 plates were about the same I think.  That doesn't include the cost of filament for printing, but that stuff is pretty cheap.

https://imgur.com/a/bD5F0hH

Offline Kageni

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 10 February 2021, 13:20:38 »
That seems really expensive for pcbs, I just ordered 5 pcbs and 5 usbc daughterboards with SMT assembly for both for a 65% board for $100 from JLCPCB

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 10 February 2021, 20:31:00 »
That seems really expensive for pcbs, I just ordered 5 pcbs and 5 usbc daughterboards with SMT assembly for both for a 65% board for $100 from JLCPCB
Just a few mm one way or another can significantly increase costs on things.

That applies not just to pcbs but cases as well.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline ice9js

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 15:14:03 »
Some very good points above, I just thought I'll add my 2¢ as well:

If you just want to get a ballpark number, use services like Protolabs or 3D Hubs. You upload your model and they'll give you an instant quote along with some very basic manufacturability feedback.
Finding a local shop is still a far superior option if you can do it. Why? It all pretty much boils down to communication: together you'll be able to better optimize the design for production and ensure the finished part is up to spec. The goal of the analysis tools of the services I mentioned is to tell you if a part is manufacturable or not. They won't help you with optimizing the cost. But you're free to upload as many models as you like.

Also, manufacturing locally might save you on duties and taxes and the associated headaches.