Author Topic: GHSS Switch Swap  (Read 6459 times)

Offline didjamatic

GHSS Switch Swap
« on: Fri, 04 June 2010, 16:52:07 »
I want to be able to use my GHSS at work but since I work in a very quiet office environment, loud keyboards are not an option most of the time.  But I want to be able to use this keyboard there.  So I decided to swap in some switches that were quiet but retained a good tactile feeling.

The Patient, Geek Hack Space Saver (SIIG Minitouch)

The Donor, Apple Extended Keyboard II

After taking the keyboards apart, I used a 30w Radio Shack soldering iron and copper braid desoldering wick to remove switches from both keyboards.  One day I hope to get a better soldering iron but this one did the job.  If you want a cheapy, I'd get the 40w iron from Home Depot that is $18.

Be sure to remove as much solder as possible and straighten the terminal posts before removing or you will bend the terminals and potentially damage the traces on the PCB.  More work up front means the switches pop right off without prying.

Just hold the soldering wick up to the solder joint and press it into it with the soldering iron.  I could only go so fast because the iron would cool off and it wouldn't work as well.  I think 40W would be about perfect and you wouldn't have to slow down so much.  Hold it there until you see all of the solder seep into the wick and keep advancing the wick as you go (don't try to put too much solder into 1 place on the wick or it won't work well)

Simplified ALPS (left) Complicated Dampened ALPS (right)
I was concerned the different shaped housings might cause a problem, but they both snapped right into place perfectly.

From the GH Wiki...  Dampened ALPS.  See the little black rubber things on the sides of the sliders?  Only Dampened ALPS have them.

Here are both boards with switches removed.  Each is a PCB on the back with a metal plate on the front, this is the plate we refer to when we say "plate mounted" switches.  A PCB Mounted switch keyboard wouldn't have this plate.

Back of GHSS with switches removed

New Dampened ALPS switches transplanted into the GHSS.  IT took about 10 minutes to snap them all in, then 20 minutes to resolder.

Back in case

Cable reconnected.

Mod complete.

TOTAL MOD TIME - Approx 2.5 hours.

Some Gotchas...
Those little keys on the top row have very slightly smaller diameter stems, and the complicated dampened ALPS that I swapped must have slightly bigger holes in the posts than the simplified ALPS that I removed.  The result is a fit that is not very tight on the top row.  The rest of the keys were perfect, this only affected that top row.  You can easily add paper/plastic/floss between the stems and switches when inserting them to help "snug" up the connection, or just leave the top row as-is.

Overall I'm very happy with the mod, it's really fun to type on and now I get to pack my favorite portable to a workplace that doesn't appreciate "the clicky"

EDIT:   I just did a swap on another Minitouch keyboard, this time with Blue ALPS and I left the original white ALPS switces on top row.  Works like a dream!  Whiterice did it as well, check it out here.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 October 2010, 19:04:00 by didjamatic »
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline bitflipper

GHSS Switch Swap
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 04 June 2010, 17:13:22 »
Awesome work! Did you put clicky leaves in it?

Offline didjamatic

GHSS Switch Swap
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 June 2010, 17:17:16 »
Nope, I wanted this one to be quiet for work so I stuck with the stock leaves that were in the dampened ALPS.

Offline bitflipper

GHSS Switch Swap
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04 June 2010, 17:32:26 »
It's hard to get quieter than dampened non-clicky AEKII Alps. Even rubber domes can be noisier. If I had any soldering skills, I might attempt this, but I've never gone that deep into electronics. What was the deal with the LEDs?

Offline didjamatic

GHSS Switch Swap
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 04 June 2010, 17:57:30 »
I just wanted to see what it looked like with the others on, but it didn't work out.

I've never done much soldering either, but I was amazed how easy it was.  Check youtube for soldering tutorials.  It's quite relaxing once you get the hang of it, especially if you take your time and enjoy the good feeling of oneness with flux smoke.

Offline WhiteRice

GHSS Switch Swap
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 01 October 2010, 15:26:58 »
Hey Didja, nice to see another blue ghss user :)

Your BB code in the article got a little funky though.

Offline elbowglue

GHSS Switch Swap
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 01 October 2010, 17:49:42 »
Hey love this mod.  For some reason I haven't read it until just now. :P  I'm seriously considering doing this myself as well..  Quick question - on the original clicky alps Siig Minitouch, the enter key is a little tough to hit in the lower left hand corner, easier to hit if you strike it dead on.  Is this different if you use the blue alps switches or the damped non clicky AEK switches?  Or in fact, anyone know if the chicony version (j888www's "one kb") has trouble hitting the enter key in the lower left corner?  Thanks ya'll.
My keyboards: Filco Cherry Blue Tenkeyless(daily home), Compaq MX11800 (modded to blacks), Compaq "MX 84u",  Wellington\'s Dampened Endurapro, Pinkalicious Filco Blue Cherry, Chicony KB-5191, Chicony KB-5181, Desko MOS 5023 UP "elbowglue" spos (modded to blues), Siig Minitouch (monterey blue), SMK-88 (blue cherries), Ricercar SPOS
Smallest to biggest keyboards in inches (Length X Height) - Length is most important for a midline mouse position

KBC Poker: 11.6 x 3.9 - HHKB: 11.6 x 4.3 - Siig Minitouch (Geekhack Space Saver): 11.6 x 6 - Deck/Tg3 82: 12 x 6 - Noppoo Choc Mini 12.4 x 5.3 - Compaq "MX 84u": 13.1 x 7.5 - Filco Tenkeyless: 14 x 5.3 - Cherry "ricercar spos" G86-62410EUAGSA: 14 x 7.75 - Topre Realforce 86u: 14.4 x 6.65 - Desko "elbowglue spos" MOS 5023 UP: 14.5 x 8.4 - IBM Model M Spacesaver: 15.3 x 7 - G80-1800: 15.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-125B: 16 x 7.3 - Compaq Mx11800, Cherry G80-11900: 16.25 x 7.5 - Filco Standard: 17.3 x 5.4 - Unicomp Endurapro: 17.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-135B: 18.3 x 6.0 - Cherry G80-3000: 18.5 x 7.6 - IBM Model M, Unicomp Customizer: 19.3 x 8.27

Offline 002

• Topre Enthusiast
GHSS Switch Swap
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 01 October 2010, 18:35:36 »
If I had another GHSS I'd probably do this mod using the switches that I got from my PC Convertible.

I just don't have the heart to silence my first GHSS.

Offline didjamatic

GHSS Switch Swap
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 01 October 2010, 19:06:00 »
BBcode error fixed - I changed the title name and it blew it's mind.  Changed it back and all is good.

Offline didjamatic

GHSS Switch Swap
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 01 October 2010, 19:08:13 »
Quote from: 002;228814
I just don't have the heart to silence my first GHSS.

You can always get another Minitouch + blue ALPS.  :)

Offline elservo

GHSS Switch Swap
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 01 October 2010, 20:46:39 »
That is gorgeous!  I enjoy my AEKII, and I think I would enjoy it more if it were in that housing!  Excellent job, sir.  

Also, sorry I've been M.I.A. for so long.  I was introduced to sex, and found it entertaining.

(Just kidding, I decided to pour money into my Honda Ruckus scooter all summer)
Majestouch Tactile Click (Work)
AEKII(Home)

Offline J888www

GHSS Switch Swap
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 02 October 2010, 11:50:18 »
@ elbowglue.
                 I've not had any probs with the Taiwanese "Enter" but need to take into consideration that it is new even though I truly believe it is of a better build quality than the Chinese KBD.

The other KBD is of Complicated Whites, it does have a very slight stickiness if you press the "E"nter, then again these are salvaged (old) switches. Sorry if if doesn't really give answer to the question. I also found applying silicon grease to the white stems makes it worst, but rinsing them in hot water mixed with machine oil help a little (be sure to thoroughly dry).

PS: Apology for the poor photo quality, still having problems remembering to upgrade the camera.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 October 2010, 12:00:07 by J888www »
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline didjamatic

GHSS Switch Swap
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 02 October 2010, 18:29:48 »
I have some made in China (ALPS) and Taiwan (Montereys at least in some cases) and I have not found any build quality difference between the two.  But until you posted that pic, I didn't realize that the Monterey switch is installed horizontal under the enter key.  I figured it would be the same as the vertical ALPS switches.  I'll have to do a side by side pressing on the key corner you mentioned to see if I notice a difference.

Type on an iso or vertical enter keyboard for a while and it will cure you of hitting the left side of the enter key :D

Offline elbowglue

GHSS Switch Swap
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 02 October 2010, 19:26:14 »
Thanks for the info J888www and didj - now I gotta try a monterey minitouch.

The layout on the minitouch is really sweet.  I actually love the FN button, I think I would actually like a HHKB (the horror!)
My keyboards: Filco Cherry Blue Tenkeyless(daily home), Compaq MX11800 (modded to blacks), Compaq "MX 84u",  Wellington\'s Dampened Endurapro, Pinkalicious Filco Blue Cherry, Chicony KB-5191, Chicony KB-5181, Desko MOS 5023 UP "elbowglue" spos (modded to blues), Siig Minitouch (monterey blue), SMK-88 (blue cherries), Ricercar SPOS
Smallest to biggest keyboards in inches (Length X Height) - Length is most important for a midline mouse position

KBC Poker: 11.6 x 3.9 - HHKB: 11.6 x 4.3 - Siig Minitouch (Geekhack Space Saver): 11.6 x 6 - Deck/Tg3 82: 12 x 6 - Noppoo Choc Mini 12.4 x 5.3 - Compaq "MX 84u": 13.1 x 7.5 - Filco Tenkeyless: 14 x 5.3 - Cherry "ricercar spos" G86-62410EUAGSA: 14 x 7.75 - Topre Realforce 86u: 14.4 x 6.65 - Desko "elbowglue spos" MOS 5023 UP: 14.5 x 8.4 - IBM Model M Spacesaver: 15.3 x 7 - G80-1800: 15.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-125B: 16 x 7.3 - Compaq Mx11800, Cherry G80-11900: 16.25 x 7.5 - Filco Standard: 17.3 x 5.4 - Unicomp Endurapro: 17.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-135B: 18.3 x 6.0 - Cherry G80-3000: 18.5 x 7.6 - IBM Model M, Unicomp Customizer: 19.3 x 8.27

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
GHSS Switch Swap
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 13 November 2010, 22:36:33 »
FWIW, my SiiG with blues has no apparent problems with the lower left corner hit.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.