Author Topic: [IC] Out of the Vault - Megaton Drop II  (Read 6121 times)

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
[IC] Out of the Vault - Megaton Drop II
« on: Fri, 21 July 2023, 09:29:03 »
Hello everyone!

I know it has been a long time, but I'm curious. Is there any interest in a new round of the Megaton Drop II novelties inspired by the Fallout franchise? Perhaps new colorways?

For reference, check out the Round 1 Banner my buddy harlw made:

Depending on the responses I get, I may consider running this one again and even include the Junktown Novelty legends seen here:

As always thanks for dropping by,

The Overseer
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline nateth

Re: [IC] Out of the Vault - Megaton Drop II
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 July 2023, 11:02:10 »
Heck yes

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 July 2023, 11:04:19 »
Heck yes
Show Image

I love it!

Would you have any colorway suggestions?

Offline pfcmickey

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 21 July 2023, 11:17:47 »
I would definitely join, specially the new vegas themed ones. Any chance for a cherry profile option?

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 21 July 2023, 11:24:11 »
I would definitely join, specially the new vegas themed ones. Any chance for a cherry profile option?

Only if SP can do them. Would you be happy with a DCS option?

Offline nateth

[IC] Out of the Vault - Megaton Drop II
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 21 July 2023, 11:37:47 »
I love it!

I'd love to see the Nuka Cola keycaps again if that's an option.

I remember those silvery looking caps. Maybe something bronze-like to give a tarnished or patina-like look.

I thought I remembered some trouble in the past GB  due to IP or licensing. I take it Bethesda isn't being obnoxious about this sort of thing anymore?

This is beyond the scope of this IC, but Starfield themed keycaps would be awesome.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 21 July 2023, 12:08:30 »
I love it!

I'd love to see the Nuka Cola keycaps again if that's an option.

I remember those silvery looking caps. Maybe something bronze-like to give a tarnished or patina-like look.

I thought I remembered some trouble in the past GB  due to IP or licensing. I take it Bethesda isn't being obnoxious about this sort of thing anymore?

This is beyond the scope of this IC, but Starfield themed keycaps would be awesome.

Hmmm...Nuka Cola is a non-starter as I've purchased the molds from SP and then sold them to a fellow enthusiast. As for IP, yeah SP is a no-go on that one. But we still got the Lucky 38, though so that's not for nothing.

As for Starfield, I hadn't really thought about it. Could be a later thing, but for now I wish to make keys within the scope of existing mold designs.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 24 July 2023, 14:04:53 »
After so many views and little engagement on this IC, what would you like to see us do?

Offline nateth

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 24 July 2023, 14:51:05 »
I'm partial to the irradiated vault colorway from a while back if that's feasible this time.
https://www.nathanrosspowell.com/00keys/keys/v13-polyblue-yca-sa3/

Personally, I'd like to support the project no matter what if enough folks are interested to start a group buy.

Please forgive me if this suggestion is taboo, but have you posted the IC elsewhere? (i.e. reddit and/or Deskthority)
I was out of the hobby for quite a while, and from a buyer's perspective I feel like a lot of activity shifted over to r/mechmarket.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 25 July 2023, 09:20:03 »
I'm partial to the irradiated vault colorway from a while back if that's feasible this time.
https://www.nathanrosspowell.com/00keys/keys/v13-polyblue-yca-sa3/

Personally, I'd like to support the project no matter what if enough folks are interested to start a group buy.

Please forgive me if this suggestion is taboo, but have you posted the IC elsewhere? (i.e. reddit and/or Deskthority)
I was out of the hobby for quite a while, and from a buyer's perspective I feel like a lot of activity shifted over to r/mechmarket.

I know that the Mech Keys discord has bots which will watch for posts on all fronts to help direct folks. I am certainly not opposed to posting on either site, I just never had the kind of presence and name recognition as here, but then it has been ages. Thank you for the suggestion! I will  see what I can do!

Offline vhaarr

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 25 July 2023, 09:37:46 »
I do have some thoughts that might be helpful - my fear is they will sound like direct criticism instead of being construed as constructive, but hopefully mentioning that fear upfront will prevent it:

1. Fallout seems to have taken a nosedive in popularity since the latest instalment
2. You've not posted any kind of IC form to help people tell you their interest in a particular design or colorway (yes, they can of course post here but an anonymous - or even with email input - form lowers the threshold, at least for me)
3. The color choices here seem particularly unusable aesthetically. I'm certainly low on sets that would match - bar pure black/white ones without lettering, which I do use mainly, but not in SA profile, and I have no sets in DSA that would match
4. Just from pure observation of the forums and the vendors I frequent, SA seems like the least used and sold profile. I myself only have one kit, and I can't imagine a scenario where I would buy another
5. Is this even legal? I tried doing a keycap set based on an IP and was shot down by the rights holder, who also warned me and said that I should be careful and remember they even owned the font, and that I would not be permitted to sell any of it

But perhaps I'm just cranky.
Let the Holy Handgrenades rain.
Hammering on an old Happy Hacking Pro 2. Still going strong!

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 01 August 2023, 09:14:24 »
I do have some thoughts that might be helpful - my fear is they will sound like direct criticism instead of being construed as constructive, but hopefully mentioning that fear upfront will prevent it:

1. Fallout seems to have taken a nosedive in popularity since the latest instalment
2. You've not posted any kind of IC form to help people tell you their interest in a particular design or colorway (yes, they can of course post here but an anonymous - or even with email input - form lowers the threshold, at least for me)
3. The color choices here seem particularly unusable aesthetically. I'm certainly low on sets that would match - bar pure black/white ones without lettering, which I do use mainly, but not in SA profile, and I have no sets in DSA that would match
4. Just from pure observation of the forums and the vendors I frequent, SA seems like the least used and sold profile. I myself only have one kit, and I can't imagine a scenario where I would buy another
5. Is this even legal? I tried doing a keycap set based on an IP and was shot down by the rights holder, who also warned me and said that I should be careful and remember they even owned the font, and that I would not be permitted to sell any of it

But perhaps I'm just cranky.

Thank you for your assessment, I appreciate the time you've taken and the feeback.

I have certainly been out of the keycap game for too long. To your points:

1. True, it was chiefly why I quit in the first place also given the long turnaround on SA at the time, I didn't want my customers to have to wait so long
2. I will take this one under advisement, as stated I've been outta the scene for years.
3. So, back when we were rocking with these, they fit certain game themes and were just playing around with what was possible.
4. Again, I will certainly consider this. One thing about these keys is that they are meant to be 2D novelties and so the profile added to the charm at the time (perhaps no longer a thing)
5. Yes, they are certainly legal. The only one I would worry about at all would be the Lucky 38 but given how fast Bethesda/ZeniMax dropped Obsidian after New Vegas, pretty sure its fair game. Regardless, all legends featured here were either made by myself or with help from harlw and mogo from the GeekHack community. I was looking to do a new run since the molds are already made, and I figured I could see what we could do that's new regarding colorways.

I certainly would have loved to have made a Fallout 76 keycap, but I guess it would be a pariah now.

Offline nateth

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 12 April 2024, 08:20:09 »
So…. Maybe folks might be interested in this again since the TV show just dropped. Maybe Vault 32 and 33 keycaps?

Brotherhood of Steel or Enclave legends would be pretty sick if IP and/or cost allows for it.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 17 April 2024, 11:48:42 »
I'm into it. Apart from the Nuka Cola and Lucky 38 legends, these keys have always been 'inspired by Fallout'

Offline longcao1010

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 17 April 2024, 15:47:01 »
A Vault boy artisan would be out of this world