Author Topic: Gaffer Tape To Deaden Model M Sound  (Read 1791 times)

Offline itlnstln

Gaffer Tape To Deaden Model M Sound
« on: Mon, 01 February 2010, 10:39:14 »
It looks similar to Protecto-Wrap.  I might try that stuff on an M myself just for S&Gs.

Offline elservo

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 01 February 2010, 18:00:44 »
That Datamancer.net website was a rabbit-hole I just climbed out of.  I think I just spent three hours sifting through his projects.
Majestouch Tactile Click (Work)
AEKII(Home)

Offline ocdonkb

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 01 February 2010, 19:21:11 »
Very interesting.

I've found the spring pinging sound to be very distracting. Actually, I'm hearing it on my Filco cherry brown too.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 February 2010, 19:23:17 by ocdonkb »
| Filco Brown 87 key | Realforce 87U | Unicomp Spacesaver | IBM Model M | Cherry ML4100 | Dell AT101W | Focus 2001 |

Offline elservo

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 01 February 2010, 23:04:50 »
Do you hollow after-sound that the springs make?  It's definitely noticeable, especially if you're typing fast.  

I don't really mind it, as it's just one of those sounds that accompany the old-school keyboards, but yeah I would imagine this fix would get rid of that sound completely.
Majestouch Tactile Click (Work)
AEKII(Home)

Offline salcan

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 03 February 2010, 21:12:41 »
Quote from: ocdonkb;155495
Very interesting.

I've found the spring pinging sound to be very distracting. Actually, I'm hearing it on my Filco cherry brown too.

I've noticed that too on my model m. As the key is returning to the normal position after a key press there is sort of pinging. This is pretty common once the boards get worn in?

It doesn't happen on all my keys but it's pretty common (not every time) on others.