Author Topic: Cherry MX Switch Lubrication Guide  (Read 441890 times)

Offline silat

Re: Cherry MX Switch Lubrication Guide
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 06:59:39 »
What a fantastic post MM. Thanks.............
Fighting the Christian American Taliban daily with my Deck Legend loaded with Cherry MX Clears //
Deck Legend Ice Clears // Deck Legend Frost Clears // Ducky Shining Purple Browns//QPAD MK85 Browns //

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
« Reply #101 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 09:38:49 »
I have browsed through your guide, MagicMeatball. It is a nice article! I am glad to see more people are experimenting. From experiment results from many people, I hope this post expands and evolves to a even better guide.

I have one comment on the lubing clicky switches. Why would you disassemble the white part of the stem and lube the points indicated in the OP? I understand the points if your goal is to reduce clicking sound, but if it is for smoother sliding action then it is probably not the place to lube. In my personal experience blues were generally more scratch. I think polishing the blue slider part (where it touches the groves) with fine compound would make is less scratch.(I haven't tried this, but it is my conjecture.)

On more thing on Krytox grease and oils. Base oil of GPL205 is GPL105. GPL grease is just GPL oil thickened with PTFE thickener and the last digit of the grease model number indicates which oil was used as base oil.

Krytox grease and oils mix very well, so you could thin any Krytox grease with lighter Krytox oil or the same base oil. For instance, if you want less viscous oil than 105, you could purchase GPL 100(the lightest variant of Krytox GPL oil, available in ebay) and mix.

I have tried GPL 100 on blue MX switches and it didn't kill the click. I applied the lube on the switch housing (black plastic that holds the slider) with a brush. It smoothed the sliding action, but the difference was rather subtle.

If you want to see whether you like certain types of lube jobs, I suggest you lube more than a couple (at least 4 switches) and press them with all of your fingers and try to type. Some lube jobs feels fine when tested individually, but doesn't feel very nice when trying to type fast.

I hope my comments helped.

Hi Limmy -

On the clicky switch topic, I guess that might be confusing; I actually only disassembled it for the intent of showing a clear photo of the exact place on the slider to which lube should be applied. I might need to update that and explain this in more detail.

If you could share a link to other versions of oil, that would be great. The only one I was able to find on ebay was the GPL 105, which I have stayed away from using on anything but housing.

I would love to try GPL 100, as I figured the lower the number, the less viscous it would be. 105 was just too much for clicky switches.

We may need to run a Lube Tester Numpad or something, kind of like the switch tester that was shipped around this year :)

I appreciate your input limmy, and I hope you will continue to add to the discussion. I will update the OP with this updated information from you.

Thanks!

Offline limmy

« Reply #102 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 10:15:32 »
GPL100 in 1/2 fl oz (about 1 oz in weight) on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pinewood-Derby-DuPont-Krytox-100-Oil-Lubricant-1-2oz-/230738981154
There are ones sold in smaller quantity, but I think bigger one is worth the investment if you want to experiment.

Other than GPL100 and 105, Krytox oils are not sold separately at affordable prices.

It would be great if any one could organize a mini group buy. You could purchase GPL oils at
http://www.miller-stephenson.com/ (they don't sell to individuals)
http://www.vacuumoil.com/ (I think you can order GPL oils although they are not on the website.)
Last time I checked 500g container was $207 plus shipping.

GPL103 was bought as group buy at KBDMania. The oil is on the light side and I think they work pretty well, it however is viscous enough that it kills click sound if used in blue switch.

My personal favorite is grease coat + light Krytox oil (I guess little grease + a lot of oil mix would probably work similarly.)
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 September 2012, 10:17:17 by limmy »

Offline MMB

« Reply #103 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 10:26:33 »
Thanks, Limmy! I ordered a GPL 100. Can't wait to try it.

How well does the grease and oil mix together? Or do they not mix, but coat each other?

I might try to put a GB together for this if there is enough interest.

Thanks!

Offline limmy

« Reply #104 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 10:29:33 »
Thanks, Limmy! I ordered a GPL 100. Can't wait to try it.

How well does the grease and oil mix together? Or do they not mix, but coat each other?

I might try to put a GB together for this if there is enough interest.

Thanks!

Krytox grease and oils mix pretty well. Oil may separate from grease over time, but I don't think it is a huge deal in our application.

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #105 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 11:35:04 »
Thanks for your expertise limmy!

I ordered a 1oz. Bottle of gpl-103 from miller-stephenson the other day and just got shipping confirmation.  It cost $36 shipped.  They shipped to my house, I just had to give them a business name, used my old ebay business but could have just as easily made something up.

I'm going to get a syringe of gpl-205 and maybe a bottle of gpl-100 from ebay also and start experimenting!  I'm very excited to try lubed ergo clears and reds!

Offline MMB

« Reply #106 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 14:02:42 »
Updated OP with links to product, and some clarifications (thanks, limmy).

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #107 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 14:17:31 »
Thanks for sharing your expertise here, limmy.  Much appreciated!

Offline MMB

« Reply #108 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 14:23:07 »
If anyone has any donor Alps switches, I might look into adding a guide for that as well. I haven't take one apart yet :)

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #109 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 20:05:01 »
gpl-103 arrived today!

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #110 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 20:07:35 »
If anyone has any donor Alps switches, I might look into adding a guide for that as well. I haven't take one apart yet :)
i have a minitouch without a case i could trade you for something :) white XM.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline MMB

« Reply #111 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 20:08:36 »
Very nice Chris! Let us know what you think :)

sth - sure, I will take it if you want to donate

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 20:10:52 »
sure it's just sitting around, want to trade it for what i owe you for the stickers? still works if you have AT > PS2 converter or a PS2 cable (can be swapped out).
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline MMB

« Reply #113 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 20:14:04 »
That works, sth :)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #114 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 20:15:35 »
cool i will send it to you this weekend, i have a USPS trip coming up :cool:

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #115 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 23:49:27 »
I've spent my evening experimenting with GPL-103 and GPL-205 on a spare mx black board I have sitting around.  I know, I'm such a nerd, great way to spend a friday! Oh wait, that's perfectly acceptable behavior around here :D

My first impressions are that the Koreans have it nailed.  103 alone significantly smooths linear mx switches and slightly dampens the feel and sound of both the bottom out and rebound; 205 alone significantly dampens them but doesn't smooth them very much.  A combination of both smooths the travel significantly (more so than just 103), and also significantly dampens the feel and sound of bottom out/rebound. 

I like the results of both 103 alone and the 103/205 combo for linear switches.  They are definitely noticeably different in feel and sound, and I am not ready to pick a favorite.  I believe both are worthwhile, and that it will come down to personal preference much like switch choice.

keep in mind that all of the above opinions are based on linear switches only.  I used 205 for where the springs meet the housings on all switches, 103 or 103/205 where the sliders touch the housing, and 103 where the slider meets the leaf on all switches.

I also tried 103 on a blue switch, and it seemed to be too viscous.  With a VERY fine layer between the white and blue slider it wouldn't stick, but the click is significantly dampened and seems to take some of the fun out of the blue switch.  It was, however, VERY noticeably smoother, and I imagine that blue switches carefully lubed with GPL-100 would feel awesome.

I'll keep posting here as I continue to experiment; I plan on tackling some clear switches tomorrow!

Offline MMB

« Reply #116 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 00:53:36 »
Thanks for the write-up, Chris! I have some GPL-100 on the way, and I plan on doing a few switches with that and 205 grease :D

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #117 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 00:58:27 »
Don't worry WRXChris, I spent my Friday night disassembling my poker in preparation to do my ergo clear switch mod. I'm already to start except for my stickers
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #118 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 01:51:29 »
I have oficially found out that openning switches on a phantom without desoldering is a pain so i think i might hold off of the lubing until i can get a desoldering iron.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #119 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 01:54:43 »
I used a binder clip that I bent so that one of the legs was 90 degrees to the other to open my poker switches without desoldering. My roommate also thought that a dental pick would work well since it's kinda hooked and I've seen them at hardware stores so they should be easy to get.

« Last Edit: Sat, 15 September 2012, 01:56:57 by The_Beast »
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline MMB

« Reply #120 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 14:08:10 »
Added in DanGWanG's uplifted lube video  ;D

Offline limmy

« Reply #121 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 15:51:29 »
@Dangwang:
Interesting video DanGWanG! Did you use all the lube I sent to you? I thought they were enough for couple of keyboards, but I didn't expect it to be gone that quickly. Well, at least it is good sign that you found them to be useful.

@Everyone in this thread:
Here is a link on the binder clip Cherry switch opener. The tool was seen in an old post at KBDMania and the method is inspired by one of the comments in the old post.
http://deskthority.net/post43053.html#p43053 (in English)
http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/3520312 (in Korean)

This tool is only useful for PCB mounted Cherry MX switches (or Phantom style plate mounted). Proper usage requires some practice and tool tuning.

As for the results from WRXChris, I am glad some of you took an initiative and tried what I suggested. Now that you tried some of the lube I use, try stickers as a next step. It will make more difference in sound. Some like the sticker mod and some don't, but you never know until you try them. I heard demik got the stickers and is getting ready to ship them out(hopefully).

Offline MMB

« Reply #122 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 16:02:02 »
This is awesome! Thank you for sharing, limmy!

Offline MMB

« Reply #123 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 20:06:16 »
Look what just showed up:

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #124 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 20:26:20 »
@limmy thanks again for all your great advice!  I've got stickers coming, I placed an order from demik :D

I can't wait for my Korean weighted, plate-mount poker case to arrive and I'll have the ultimate stickered, lubed, ergo clear plate mounted poker!  Hopefully I can get my hands on an unassembled KMAC soon too :P

@MM: nice, I must also get my hands on some GPL-100 to play around with!

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #125 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 22:50:01 »
I thought that lube isn't that hard to come by, like ShopVelox is just a pinewood derby site. The lube that works the best is just a matter of figuring it out, the availability is irrelevant in my opinion.

Offline limmy

« Reply #126 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 01:53:00 »
There are several variants of Krytox lubricants. Some are widely used and are available in small quantity, some are not. If purchased in small quantity, say 1 oz, shipped price is close to $40, which I think is prohibitive for many people. If purchased in larger quantity, it is still expensive. 500g container goes over $200.

I didn't start my lube journey with Krytox. I tried to explore with cheaper alternative first, but after I experienced Krytox, I didn't really feel necessary to look at any other lube. It was that good. I tried superlube, some lube that I could get for cheap at Home Depot, reel oils, and etc. First, they weren't good enough (that is why I continually searched for alternative and began spending bigger $$ on lubes). Second, safety on rubber and plastic were not guaranteed for the cheap lubes since they lacked proper documents(spec sheets and etc).

My initial search for lube was intended to be used on my aging HHKB, so it had to be rubber and plastic safe. Krytox was well known lube solution for Cherry switches among Korean community, yet I didn't know how to get them and I was hopeful that there were good enough alternatives hence my search began. There may be cheaper and equally good solution, but I quickly learned from my search in cheap lube that cheap solutions don't usually work as it should. I am not an expert in lube by no means, so my search in consumer level lube may have been bound to fail and Krytox is probably an overkill. I just don't know of good enough solution that performs as well as Krytox in keyboards though. If I knew I would have recommended them, but I can only recommend and compare the lube that I have experienced and tested.

Offline nntnam

« Reply #127 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 12:50:47 »
I tried lubricating MX blue switches on my dolch pac board. But the lube seems eliminating the clicky sound as well as reducing the friction. Will that sound get back after several days of break-in or typing?
░▒▓ KMAC | FILCO MJ2 | HHKB | PHANTOM ▓▒░

Offline MMB

« Reply #128 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 13:09:49 »
I tried lubricating MX blue switches on my dolch pac board. But the lube seems eliminating the clicky sound as well as reducing the friction. Will that sound get back after several days of break-in or typing?

Did you over-lube the stems? I mentioned that in the guide. It's a very touchy spot. If you put too much, it will kill the click. It also depends on what you used to lube it with. If the viscosity is too high, it will kill the click. If it's low viscosity, and you add just a very trace amount, it should be fine. Try a couple different switches, using different lube and smaller amounts.

Offline nntnam

« Reply #129 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 13:29:26 »

Did you over-lube the stems? I mentioned that in the guide. It's a very touchy spot. If you put too much, it will kill the click. It also depends on what you used to lube it with. If the viscosity is too high, it will kill the click. If it's low viscosity, and you add just a very trace amount, it should be fine. Try a couple different switches, using different lube and smaller amounts.

Hah, I think I have tried to put the amount as small as possible. Is there any solution for this? to bring the clicky sound back? I used GLP 103 for the stems (all two part of the stem) and silicone oil for the springs.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 September 2012, 13:33:16 by nntnam »

Offline MMB

« Reply #130 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 13:41:45 »
Hah, I think I have tried to put the amount as small as possible. Is there any solution for this? to bring the clicky sound back? I used GLP 103 for the stems (all two part of the stem) and silicone oil for the springs.

GPL 103 is definitely too viscous for lubing clicky stems. You can use 99% Isopropyl Alcohol to clean off any lube from any surface. I would suggest the Teflon Silicone or GPL 100 for lubing clicky stems.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 September 2012, 13:46:26 by MagicMeatball »

Offline limmy

« Reply #131 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 15:28:49 »
I had some success with GPL 103 on clicky switch. You could try and experiment.

4414-0
Photo source: http://i.imgur.com/dSKQy.jpg or http://imgur.com/a/iu8EU

The place I pointed with arrows are the ONLY place I put some GPL 103. If the lube goes between the white and blue piece, then you are going to loose click sound since GPL 103 is viscous enough that it hinders free movement of white piece of the slider.

As for restoring the click sound, I tried warm water wash and then applied alcohol so it dries faster. I hope it helped.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #132 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 16:34:00 »
I read every posts, and there are a lot of good info in here. One thing that hardly got touched on, was the dirt and dust problem. A long time ago, I read a few times that lubing these switches is great and all, but it also attracts dust. Now there are mentions in here that if you use "wet" lube, this shouldn't be a problem. Since everyone in this thread is still in the experimentation stage, it's hard to know the long-term effects of lube and dust, so is there anyone that lubed their keyboard for longer than 6 months ago comment on this? I'll be getting the switch stickers, so hopefully that will minimize dust problems even more.

Offline OddOne

« Reply #133 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 14:32:16 »
So I just finished modding my fats branded Genovation Micropad from White Clicky Alps to Lubed Black Tactile Alps.  Seeing as its an Alps switch its not exactly on topic, but I used the same principles as are being discussed here...  I used The DuPont Teflon Silicone Lubricant, and lubed the same locations as suggest by MM:  where the spring meets the housing/slider and where the slider contacts the housing.

Now I know this is not apples-to-apples, but the Lubed Black Alps feel kinda like lighter Cherry Browns now.  Lighter in the sense of an ever so slight tactile bump.  The real improvement though is that the entire travel feels as smooth as butter.

I'm typing this message on my Cherry Reds board and now I realize what others have meant when they say that lubing gets rid of the scratchiness.  I had always thought, 'you guys are crazy, reds are already so smooth,' but now when comparing to the lubed Alps I feel it.

Next project is modding my Cherry Blues to Ergo Clears (you may be seeing a trend that I don't like the click).  After that, I think I'll have to lube my Reds as well.  Now I just need those switch stickers...
CM Quickfire Rapid   |   Rosewill RK-9000BR  |  CM Quickfire Rapid  |

Offline MMB

« Reply #134 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 15:44:39 »
Thanks for posting your findings with us, OddOne! Would you mind sharing some photos or maybe a how-to for the Alps switches? I haven't gotten a donor board to build a how-to myself, and would appreciate if you would share with the community :)

Offline OddOne

« Reply #135 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 18:15:00 »
Thanks for posting your findings with us, OddOne! Would you mind sharing some photos or maybe a how-to for the Alps switches? I haven't gotten a donor board to build a how-to myself, and would appreciate if you would share with the community :)

Firstly, I'm no good with a camera and the sun is fading here, so I'll try for some better shots another day.  For now, here is the only half decent shot I got of the switch tonight.  I'll throw in a picture of the MicroPad as well to show off the paint job  ;).

4669-0
4671-1

On the left side you see the upper Alps casing with the slider, leaf spring, and coil spring installed.  On the right is the lower casing with switch mechanism installed.  As stated above my lube points included where the slider meets the casing and where the spring meets the slider & casing.

• First, with a small tip paint brush I applied the Teflon Silicone lube in both channel guides of the upper casing.  I was fairly liberal here with the lube and in turn did no lube the sliders at all.
  • With the sliders back in place, next I applied lube to one end of the spring and inserted it into the slider.  Again I used a decent dose here, because the spring guide on the slider is fairly large on an Alps switch.
  • Finally with the spring in the slider I put a small amount of lube on the opposite end and snapped the switch back together.
  • At this point I pressed the switch a few times to try to distribute the lube evenly throughout the sliders/channels and on the springs.

Hopefully this is helpful to some.  Post comments or questions and I'll try to help!

Cheers,
OddOne

Offline limmy

« Reply #136 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 21:03:24 »
One thing that hardly got touched on, was the dirt and dust problem. A long time ago, I read a few times that lubing these switches is great and all, but it also attracts dust.
Was there really dust problem? Could it have been hypothetical? If it really happened what type of lube was used?

I lubed Dell AT101W more than two years ago and I don't yet notice dust problems. The keyboard was vertically placed (i.e. not laying flat) and not in a box whole time and I think it would have been venerable to micro dust. Yet, when I open up the switches the lube is still wet and I don't notice dust problems. Instances where dust could be a problem is where lube dries out and become sticky.  I don't know any instances where lubes do that though. I saw vegetable oil become sticky after a while, so there could be certain kind of lube degradation that could become problematic.

I was very content with lubing Alps black with Victorinox multi-tool oil. I applied generously on the sliding parts and on the metal leaf.
Here is some MP3 files before and after:
http://www.otd.kr/data/file/board1/2230108430_f503ad22_10020309+-+Dell+Lube.MP3
http://www.otd.kr/data/file/board1/2230108430_66ff566a_10020308+-+Dell+NO+Lube.MP3

Visualization of the sound file.
http://www.otd.kr/bbs/board.php?bo_table=board1&wr_id=80049

I think lubing Alps black is almost a must. Lubing Cherry switches make it smoother but not to a point where it is a must, but I can comfortably say lubing black Alps is a must. Black Alps board I had was old NIB stock. Maybe new Alps are usable without lube; that I do not know.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 September 2012, 21:05:12 by limmy »

Offline harrison

« Reply #137 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 09:25:21 »
Wow.  Guys, this is seriously impressive stuff.  I've been on hiatus for the past month, and will be for at least another month coming... but I'm really looking forward to unpacking my soldering iron and keyboard parts so I can pickup my projects again.  I've got a few vials of RO59 that I'm going to use for the stem sides, but I think it I'm going to pick up some of that DuPont lube for the springs.

MM, I am curious if you could give us a description of the switch feel difference you've found using the KRY205, and why you're so sold on it.  It sounds like a really great solution for a reasonable cost.  Am I correct in understanding that because it's a grease that it doesn't need to dry before being effective (in contrast to the RO59).
[work]ducky tiger dk-9008G2, cherry mx brown|logitech performance mx
[home]corsair k70 LUX RGB, cherry mx brown|logitech G700s

Offline neeb

« Reply #138 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 23:48:44 »

MM, I am curious if you could give us a description of the switch feel difference you've found using the KRY205, and why you're so sold on it.

Wondering this as well

Offline MMB

« Reply #139 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 12:47:02 »
Well, I can try to explain the key feel using krytox 205 grease, but honestly, you just need to try it out for yourself.

It's just a better feel; it's smoother, quieter and just feels more solid. I probably fail at explaining it, but let me just say that it's totally worth investing in a tube
and trying it.

Offline neeb

« Reply #140 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 18:15:00 »
Well, I can try to explain the key feel using krytox 205 grease, but honestly, you just need to try it out for yourself.

It's just a better feel; it's smoother, quieter and just feels more solid. I probably fail at explaining it, but let me just say that it's totally worth investing in a tube
and trying it.

Fair enough. Yeah that does seem like something that would be difficult to really explain lol

Offline sordna

« Reply #141 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 13:22:53 »
I'm surprised this thread has no mention of Caig DeoxIT FaderLube. It's plastic-friendly and contact-friendly, and it comes in the F5 light solution (cleans and leaves a very light lubrication) or the F100 solution which is a heavier lubricant that can even silence the click out of cherry blue switches according to some posts :-)

The F5 comes in spray, and the F100 in spray/tube/dropper variants.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #142 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 17:19:23 »

Firstly, I'm no good with a camera and the sun is fading here, so I'll try for some better shots another day.  For now, here is the only half decent shot I got of the switch tonight.  I'll throw in a picture of the MicroPad as well to show off the paint job  ;).

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

On the left side you see the upper Alps casing with the slider, leaf spring, and coil spring installed.  On the right is the lower casing with switch mechanism installed.  As stated above my lube points included where the slider meets the casing and where the spring meets the slider & casing.

• First, with a small tip paint brush I applied the Teflon Silicone lube in both channel guides of the upper casing.  I was fairly liberal here with the lube and in turn did no lube the sliders at all.
  • With the sliders back in place, next I applied lube to one end of the spring and inserted it into the slider.  Again I used a decent dose here, because the spring guide on the slider is fairly large on an Alps switch.
  • Finally with the spring in the slider I put a small amount of lube on the opposite end and snapped the switch back together.
  • At this point I pressed the switch a few times to try to distribute the lube evenly throughout the sliders/channels and on the springs.

Hopefully this is helpful to some.  Post comments or questions and I'll try to help!

Cheers,
OddOne
ot: sweet keypad dude!

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #143 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 03:33:42 »
Since some of these lubes can take away some of the clickiness from mx blues, would anyone think a less clickly blue would resemble ergo-clears?

Offline JonDBurnett

« Reply #144 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 05:00:12 »
heres a question, would the lube on EK be a good choice to use?  it sounds pretty good, but i feel like everyone else uses something different!!
Filco MJ2 TKL | HHKB Type-S w/ MX Sliders

Offline limmy

« Reply #145 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 05:13:08 »
Clickless blue switches feels more like browns than clears.

EK lube is for stabilizers and is too thick to be used in switches. I remember The_Ed used it and didn't like it at all. Google gives me the following link: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=32296.msg611114#msg611114 There were some discussion of it in ripster's subforum, but all of that is gone now.

Offline nntnam

« Reply #146 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 07:21:41 »
^ Yeah, I experienced the clickless blue swich and would say I don't like it at all. I will convert all the blue switches on my dolch board to ergo-clear someday.

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #147 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 09:14:04 »
NEVER use EK MechLube inside cherry switches! EVER! Do NOT repeat my mistake which the mods deleted all record of!

I had to push hard and it would slowly go down, and then it would even more slowly rise back up after quite a few seconds... And it made a gross noise too...

I endorsed Krytox 205 shortly after that, and it is the only lube I'll use in cherry switches.

Someone needs to buy my EK MechLube, Krytox 100, and Krytox 106 now.
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline OddOne

« Reply #148 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 11:24:13 »
ot: sweet keypad dude!
Thanks sth!  I bought this to be a modding practice board, but it ended up to be a pretty cool desk piece.

@MM:  Did you receive those spare Alps switches i sent you?  They were mailed a week ago now.

Offline MMB

« Reply #149 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 11:33:11 »
OddOne - Yes I did, thank you. Sorry I haven't updated the thread in a while. I will try to get something going soon with the alps switches :)