Author Topic: Hi from Scotland  (Read 1619 times)

Offline N1ne

• Nub
Hi from Scotland
« on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 23:42:38 »
Hi all, I'm Nine and I have a dream...

More on that later.  Loving these forums, recently purchased my first mechanical (Cherry MX-board 3.0 Red Switches) and I love it... Is it weird that I'm actually considering taking it to work with me?!

Yeah so hello everyone!

*Lurk mode deactivate.*
Ahhh cripes Eva! Just sign it yourself will ya? I'm busy!

We do what we must because we can.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
Re: Hi from Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 00:20:00 »
Welcome bonnie Scot, I hope you vote "No" this year!

How are you finding the reds? I am yet to get a board with reds myself, I'm torn between those and blacks right now, leaning more towards blacks though. How are you finding them?

Also, I'm typing this at work on my WASD with clears that is my own :D Do it! You won't regret it! Provided you don't get anything with blues, then your coworkers might hate you like mine did for a while!
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 00:38:07 »
FINALLY A TRUE SCOT!!!

Welcome to GH.

FREE SCOTLAND 2014!!!!1111

I'm American, btw.  But I'm married to a bonnie Scottish lass.  I have to love Scotland, or I would have no balls by now.  Well, I lost my balls anyway, when I got married.  But, well, you know.  Unless ur not yet married, in which case you will learn.  or unless ur gay.  Which is probably better.  or maybe not, now since gays can get married too. 

EDIT:  I forgot to mention keyboards.  MX reds are t!ts, at least IMO.  Only thing better is Topre.  But I won't mention Topre here.  Oops.  I think I mentioned Topre. 
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline N1ne

• Nub
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 02:26:31 »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

Ah the impending "vote", a discussion on this in another thread on another day perhaps.

I have to say I find the red switches are fantastic but unfortunately I don't have much to compare them to having only used membrane keyboards from what I can remember.  The linear switches are silky smooth and have just the right resistance for me, I'm already learning to only push the key as far as is required (around 2mm I believe) and the speed increase has been awesome!  I do wish I had at least sampled a key with a "biting point" such as blues or browns but I'm by no means disappointed with the purchase.

The only two things I can think to say is that when my hand is resting I sometimes push keys inadvertently but I know this will stop the more I get used to the board and also I'm not 100% sold on the stock keys caps that came with the board.  They are somewhere in between your regular key size and a laptop key, but we all know this is easily remedied (something I intend to do soon!)

... Which kind of leads on to my dream.  I have big plans for this board modification wise but I'm going to do some scouting around first before I start asking questions that have been answered a million times over, although at first glance there doesn't seem to be much mention of this board (probably because it is very much an entry level mechanical).

PS Please excuse me if I'm using the wrong phrases for things, not quite got the jargon down yet!

Online HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 02:30:24 »
FINALLY A TRUE SCOT!!!

Welcome to GH.

FREE SCOTLAND 2014!!!!1111

I'm American, btw.  But I'm married to a bonnie Scottish lass.  I have to love Scotland, or I would have no balls by now.  Well, I lost my balls anyway, when I got married.  But, well, you know.  Unless ur not yet married, in which case you will learn.  or unless ur gay.  Which is probably better.  or maybe not, now since gays can get married too. 

EDIT:  I forgot to mention keyboards.  MX reds are t!ts, at least IMO.  Only thing better is Topre.  But I won't mention Topre here.  Oops.  I think I mentioned Topre.

This is one of my favourite comments.

Oh yeah, welcome to geekhack!

Offline SirReallySam

• SirReallySam-LinusTech
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 14:14:54 »
Hi all, I'm Nine and I have a dream...

More on that later.  Loving these forums, recently purchased my first mechanical (Cherry MX-board 3.0 Red Switches) and I love it... Is it weird that I'm actually considering taking it to work with me?!

Yeah so hello everyone!

*Lurk mode deactivate.*

Good Day Sir, I'm sure you will enjoy it here :D
I like the keyboards... I feel we all do.

Offline nereme

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 14:25:05 »
Welcome to the forums.

I am sure you will enjoy it here.

Look forward to seeing you in your first Group buy

Offline charlaph

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 05 March 2014, 13:00:12 »
Hello from Dundee! Well, just far enough outside Dundee to consider myself safe from the neds, but close enough!

I just got my first mechanical keyboard last week, also with reds. So far no accidental presses and I've had a serious speed increase, but with more errors - there's definitely a learning curve to getting the most out of these things.

Offline N1ne

• Nub
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 05 March 2014, 14:14:06 »
Welcome to the forums.

I am sure you will enjoy it here.

Look forward to seeing you in your first Group buy

Looking forward to this too! :D

Hello from Dundee! Well, just far enough outside Dundee to consider myself safe from the neds, but close enough!

I just got my first mechanical keyboard last week, also with reds. So far no accidental presses and I've had a serious speed increase, but with more errors - there's definitely a learning curve to getting the most out of these things.

Ahhh the city of discovery.  Two Scots in one week?! There goes the neighbourhood.

Welcome to the forums mate!  :thumb:

I've pretty much stopped hitting keys accidentally now when my hands resting, moved on to trying to teach myself proper touch typing.  I've also ordered a new set of keys as I feel the lower profile keys on the MX-board 3.0 aren't for me.  Not too bothered about this outlay as I see keys as more of an investment I guess, just starting my collection.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 05 March 2014, 14:29:20 »

Welcome to GH, second Scottish person.  Not all new members from Scotland have to post in the same thread, btw.  Or maybe they should, I dunno, I guess it makes it easier to welcome you.  And to ferret out the chavs and neds, I guess.  But chavs and neds don't know how to use a computer.  Although they might have iPhones that they've stolen, so I guess one of them could find his way here.

Anyway, WELCOME new member from Dundee!  I think you have a Whisky Festival there.  Which must be awesome. 
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.