Author Topic: new to geekhack, loving the topre  (Read 1568 times)

Offline rausse

• HHKB addict
new to geekhack, loving the topre
« on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 18:04:03 »
Just got my first mechanical keyboard, a HHKB.  Love it.

I'm interested in artisan topre key caps.  It does seem pretty hard to get into them, though, as most people seem to want to trade for keycaps instead of just selling them.  Hopefully I'll be able to find someone willing to sell, or else I'll luck out and get some as part of the artisan sales.  Brocaps and Binge Caps in particular look awesome.  Great work, guys.  Nothing like having art that you can actually use every day.

Eventually I would like to get into actually creating artisan key caps.  I'm less interested in shapes & sculpting, more interested in playing with different materials for touch feel, sound, density, color, etc.  Different types of plastics, resins, metals, etc.

Offline HairyBob

• but my name isn't Robert
Re: new to geekhack, loving the topre
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 18:11:10 »
Binge stopped making topre, so what's out there now is all that's out there from him. Making caps is pretty fun, you should go for it.  :thumb:

Offline rausse

• HHKB addict
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 20:10:04 »
Binge stopped making topre, so what's out there now is all that's out there from him.

Really?    :(  Dang, that's a bummer.  I really like his fn keys, they look awesome.

I can't open a classified yet, but if anyone is willing to sell Binge topre fn keys, please PM me!!

Binge, why did you get out of making topre keys?  No longer fun?  Not worth it financially?  I'm curious because a) I really think they are awesome and b) this is the sort of thing I'd like to make.

Offline HairyBob

• but my name isn't Robert
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 06:34:31 »
Binge stopped making topre, so what's out there now is all that's out there from him.

Really?    :(  Dang, that's a bummer.  I really like his fn keys, they look awesome.

I can't open a classified yet, but if anyone is willing to sell Binge topre fn keys, please PM me!!

Binge, why did you get out of making topre keys?  No longer fun?  Not worth it financially?  I'm curious because a) I really think they are awesome and b) this is the sort of thing I'd like to make.

He decided to stop after his smiling jack key broke. It really doesn't matter that much, considering topre to mx conversion stems are available.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/1768885/topre-to-mx-slider-v1-0b.html?modelId=1768885&materialId=62

Offline rausse

• HHKB addict
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 11:48:24 »
Well, I've been here for many months, and I *still* can't get a v2 Bro.  :( 

Offline rausse

• HHKB addict
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 12:05:49 »
But I think I got a clack during clackvent!  :)

Offline rausse

• HHKB addict
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 12:06:01 »
We'll see - nothing has come in the mail yet.  I thought it was supposed to ship within a week?

Offline shantanujoshi

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 12:14:35 »
I've got a lime green printed RF topre set if you're interested PM me btw
Never judge a man by his post count
[Hasu 55g HHKB PINK RFs] [GON HHKB Zeals] [GON TKL w/ Erg Clears] [IBM SSK] [VE.A Zeliostotles] [Ergodox Gatistotles]

Offline Cheese!

• Cheese first, clacks later
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 15:09:44 »
Hey! I just got my HHKB as well! I find that the lack of topre clacks makes it actually way more rewarding and special once you actually get them (after spending all of your money in the process). If you hold out, eventually you will get lucky and someone will start making them.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 22:13:29 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Patience is the key to seeking artisan keycaps.

Some people are lucky, and manage to get in on a sale within days of their joining GH.

Others, like me, had to wait many months before being successful.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ