Author Topic: Hello guys and girls  (Read 1485 times)

Offline ribozyme

Hello guys and girls
« on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 09:35:44 »
Hello world,

I have been lurking on this forum since november extensively and now that I saw some nice groupbuys for keycaps I thought that is was the perfect moment to finally register  :thumb:

When I built my first desktop 2 years ago I randomly bought a mechanical keyboard to go with it because it was all the hype to have one. And I just wanted some quality peripherals  ^-^
I bought the quickfire rapid with mx blacks because it was the only kind of that keyboard.
One year later I sold it to try something new after being hyped by Luke from Linustechtips in the ducky computex 2013 video  ;D Ducky shine 3 TKL.
I went with browns and I liked them okayish though it felt annoying in fps and the typing experience wasn't that amazing either. Also the blue leds were kind of not what I expected, more purple-ish.
Another year later I wanted to try something new again and went with reds because I liked the gaming experience from the blacks and wanted to try the 60% form factor. I began reading geekhack, overclock and Linustechtips forums for any info I could find. In the end I went with the ducky mini and so far I like it. The stabilisers on backspace and enter are horrible though and they sent me the silver color instead of the grey I ordered. So a new one is coming in wit hopefully not so horrible stabilisers ;)

Also I bought my first aftermarket keycaps from massdrop: some vortex grey PBT(40 euro), can't wait to try it. And now I am lurking here in the groupbuy section for keycaps in a whole other league  :eek:
I have ordered a PBT cherry 98 set(80 euro  :-\ ) but now I am thinking if I should go with the red or green cherry styles... decisions decisions  ^-^

Never would have thought that I would spend 120 euro in keycaps alone in less than a month. But I'll quit when I have a nice personalised board  :rolleyes:

Further on my want list is a nice TKL like the KUL es-87 or a novatouch. Should go nicely with one of the sets I ordered.

See you guys around!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: Hello guys and girls
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 09:40:48 »
Welcome to Geekhack! :)

Nice choices for your first boards. Hopefully the new Ducky Mini suits you better. If the stabilizers still feel horrible, you can try some lube on them, or if you are really ambitious, you could mod them by clipping.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 06:35:41 »
Welcome to GH!

You definitely seem pretty interested in upgrading or trying out different boards, you should look into Korean customs!! or don't since it'll hurt your wallet lol
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 03:53:13 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Well doe for trying different switches - that's really the only way to find one that you really like.

Do you prefer any of the switches you have tried?

Oh, and go QFR MX black team!! :D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ribozyme

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 15:16:30 »
Welcome to Geekhack! :)

Nice choices for your first boards. Hopefully the new Ducky Mini suits you better. If the stabilizers still feel horrible, you can try some lube on them, or if you are really ambitious, you could mod them by clipping.

Thank you. Yes I am surprised now that I know what's on the market I still made some pretty good choices that I would probably make again if I was as informed then as I am now.(which is still relatively not really informed  ^-^ humble me)
I have received another ducky mini and now the stabilisers feel different than the first ducky mini I had, but still not how I like them. Will investigate this lubing business in the future if the feeling persists in a few months. Because the first board they sent me already feels a bit better on the stabilised keys after 2 weeks of use, is this possible? It is mx reds.

Welcome to GH!

You definitely seem pretty interested in upgrading or trying out different boards, you should look into Korean customs!! or don't since it'll hurt your wallet lol

Yes indeed I love trying new boards and stuff but I try to keep the costs sane by always selling the previous board. I don't think I shall venture out to the korean costums because I am a college student so my cashflow is limited  :'(
I saw some amazing costum boards already though, don't know if they're Korean or not. One with beautiful RGB lighting in the bottom of the case shining through matte plastic. Gorgeous.

Welcome to Geekhack!

Well doe for trying different switches - that's really the only way to find one that you really like.

Do you prefer any of the switches you have tried?

Oh, and go QFR MX black team!! :D

Yes indeed I found that out for myself after reading so much on the fora online everyone contradicting eachother in opinion in 'best' switch. So I said F that let's spend some dough and try them out for myself  :thumb:

In retrospect I think I liked the QFR more than the ducky shine 3. I really liked the matte gray aesthetic of the QFR and even the rubberized coating which many seem to loathe. And the blacks were delicious for games though which was the reason I built the pc. The meaty spacebar was awesome too, gave jumping in games a real weighty feel. My fingers got tired from typing though(not that I had proper typing skills so that could have been a factor too) which is one of the reasons I tried something new. That and the praise that browns got on the fora and the smacktalk that blacks got made me think I was missing out big time.

Turns out not so much. The browns felt awesome the first few days but when the novelty wore off all that remained whas the annoyance in FPS games. I was strafing to the sides all the time because my fingers unknowingly pushed the keys to their actuation point. Probably because of the blacks who were more forgiving in that department. And the gritty point that you had to get through wasn't amazing for games. For typing I actually liked the grittyness but over time they smoothed out and I began to ike em less.

So I thought why not try out reds because I like gaming so much and all the praise it got here on geekhack because 'cherry is inherently linear, making them tactile is devils practice and should be banned' followed by a plead to buy HHKB  :p And wanted to try out that sweet looking 60% keyboard factor too so my eye gazed over to the ducky mini. Because of the backlighting wish I think is nice to have even though it doesn't need to be on all the time. And because I liked the look of the bezels, gave something unique against the rest of the similar looking 60% boards.

So here I am typing this on my mx red ducky mini with grey case, it looks absolutely awesome. More 'badass' (sorry for using that word but it kind of describes how the dark gray black bezel looks) than the rather classy look(besides the little ducks all over the board) silver one that they first sent me by mistake. I'm glad I traded for the color I wanted in the first place. The silver should look nice with all apple hardware though.
For the feeling of the reds: I like em. I really like the spacebar and typing goes the smoothest out of all 3 switches I tried so far without getting tired fingers. Gaming is great too but I feel like the blacks were even better for it. The stabilisers definitely need some work still though, hopefully wear and tear will take care of it but if not I shall look into lubing or clipping.

Now all that is left for me is a nice aftermarket keycap set cause these ducky stock keycaps S U C K. I already ordered a vortex PBT set from massdrop for a good price 40 euro. But they are kind of plain so I am joining in the groupbuy PBT keycap set round 4, 80 euro but look a lot nicer. Now only if I could decide what color... I see myself endng up buying two sets because the choices are tearing me apart!! And then there are these nice black on blak PBT caps that would look awesome on my ducky mini dark grey case! Missed the boat though. Maybe next time or buy it from someone else. I see myself spending a lot o this keycap business  :confused: It's an illusion to think you'll spend no more when you've found a keyboard that you like apparently.

Thanks all for the warm welcome  :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 02:52:44 »
Duckys generally have Cherry stabilisers, which many people say feel more mushy than Costar.  The QFR has Costar, for comparison.

Later Ducky boards have "clipped" Cherry stabilisers, but I can't feel much difference between my old Ducky Shine 1 and my newer Ducky Shine 3.

Do you find that you strafe too much with reds?  They have the same springs as browns, and thus are as light.

Actually it sounds like the ideal for you is two keyboards - one with MX blacks for gaming, and one with MX reds for typing.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ribozyme

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 13:24:20 »
Duckys generally have Cherry stabilisers, which many people say feel more mushy than Costar.  The QFR has Costar, for comparison.

Later Ducky boards have "clipped" Cherry stabilisers, but I can't feel much difference between my old Ducky Shine 1 and my newer Ducky Shine 3.

Do you find that you strafe too much with reds?  They have the same springs as browns, and thus are as light.

Actually it sounds like the ideal for you is two keyboards - one with MX blacks for gaming, and one with MX reds for typing.

I am not really strafing too much with the reds but I feel like I am pressing them too hard and keeping em down too hard for movement in fps games. I hadn't really thought of the idea for a seperate black board for gaming. And I really like the red board for typing! Thanks for your insight! Oh wait, now I have to buy more keyboards  :'( I'll add it to my wishlist next to a cm novatouch and kul es 87 ;p Or maybe I'll buy a black kul es 87..

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 22:38:29 »
Moar keyboards!

Can't have too many ;)

A QFR with MX reds actually sold on Gumtree recently for I think it was $20.  They are out there, if you have patience and keep looking.

You could also try O-rings on MX reds - they would reduce the downward travel a bit, and cushion the bottom of the stroke.  That might help with the feeling that you are pressing down too hard.  Although with a mechanical keyboard it is difficult to actually press them too hard - resilient little buggers, these MX switches!