Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 2769 times)

Offline csnickba

• Gateron fanboy and topre lover.
Hello!
« on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 10:22:48 »
Hello, my name is nick. Recently got into mechanical keyboards through the sub reddit r/mechanicalkeyboards. Currently using a Logitech G710+ w/ brown switches, and also have an IBM Model M from 95. Decided to go ahead and sign up on this site because I've been lurker for a couple months now and was really interested in all the cool keyboards and keycaps that are available today. Looking forward to talking to some of you guys, and hopefully getting to know some of you as well.

If any of you are into CS, and ever wanna play, I'd be down to do so. It's pretty much all I do anyways.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 10:23:44 »
Hello, Nick. Welcome to Geekhack! Glad to have you join. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 10:24:33 »
Welcome to GeekHack! Enjoy your stay, and protect your wallet at all costs  :)) :thumb:

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 16:53:58 »
Hello nick and welcome to Geekhack! There is lots to learn here!  :)  If you are interested in playing CS with others, there is a thread in either the off-topic or other geeky things subform!

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 06:33:11 »
Welcome to GH nick!

Any mods you're looking to do on your board?
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline csnickba

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 07:24:35 »
Hello nick and welcome to Geekhack! There is lots to learn here!  :)  If you are interested in playing CS with others, there is a thread in either the off-topic or other geeky things subform!

Cool, will definitely check it out!

Offline csnickba

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 07:27:26 »
Welcome to GH nick!

Any mods you're looking to do on your board?

At the moment, nah. Would like to get a Poker 2 though and maybe do some custom case mods w/ it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 03:57:13 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

CS thread [/rulhttps://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62235.0]here[/url].

Which of your keyboards do you use to play CS?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline csnickba

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 06:42:28 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

CS thread [/rulhttps://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62235.0]here[/url].

Which of your keyboards do you use to play CS?

I use the G710+, need to get a tkl or 60% though because G710+ is just too big. Also thank you for the CS thread!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 02:11:03 »
Rowdy can't spell url :))

Time to switch proof-reading mode back on.  Or practice typing more :p

TKL are great - lots more desk space, mouse closer, and here's a thought - if you find you miss the numpad, just buy an external one, and have the best of both worlds!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline csnickba

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 22:04:56 »

TKL are great - lots more desk space, mouse closer, and here's a thought - if you find you miss the numpad, just buy an external one, and have the best of both worlds!
I'll probably get a 60% this weekend (the poker 2 on massdrop) and what numb pad should I look into getting? I'm thinking one of the Leopold ones but I'm not sure.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 22:07:29 »
60% master race!!!!!!
Also nice to meet you, and welcome to GH.

Offline csnickba

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 23:14:06 »
60% master race!!!!!!
Hi, also 60% just seems so nice.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 23:16:31 »
60% master race!!!!!!
They are the perfect size. The only problem is with specific games that require the arrow keys to play (ex binding of Isaac). I still need to get a TKL for gaming, but for everything else I love the compactness of 60%. Especially when you make good use of FN.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 01:55:15 »

I'll probably get a 60% this weekend (the poker 2 on massdrop) and what numb pad should I look into getting? I'm thinking one of the Leopold ones but I'm not sure.

Leopold are good, but I think they don't send the proper numpad key codes.  That may or may not be a problem for you.

A RealForce 23U or 23UB would be the top of the range, but has a top of the range price tag to go along with it.

Offline csnickba

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 16:11:36 »
60% master race!!!!!!
They are the perfect size. The only problem is with specific games that require the arrow keys to play (ex binding of Isaac). I still need to get a TKL for gaming, but for everything else I love the compactness of 60%. Especially when you make good use of FN.
Luckily there aren't any Counter Strike keys I use that aren't on a 60%, so I think I might be good. Plus I could take it wherever I want fairly easily.

Offline Tyrosh22

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 10:59:28 »
60% master race!!!!!!

Just write a small AHK script for smaller key binding issues (if the game itself, like Binding of Isaac) does not support such a feature. In Isaac for I prefer WASD for walking and IJKL for attacking anyway. Even if my keyboard had arrow keys I'd find the ergonomics 'meh' in Isaac.
Meow.