Author Topic: Hi Everyone - My path from Logitech K800's to WASD V2's  (Read 1249 times)

Offline KHAANNN

Hi Everyone - My path from Logitech K800's to WASD V2's
« on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 08:27:00 »
Hi everyone,

Lately every google search of mine brings up a geekhack link, so I thought I would join and push my new addiction one step further

I was always addicted to MY keyboards, always carried around a keyboard to use at events/camps, lately my main keyboard was a ISO European English Logitech K800, a beautiful keyboard, since they went extinct I also have an unused spare ready, they might even be better than most mechanical keyboards(!), but I was itching for a change, so I pulled the plug on a WASD V2 with red switches, also an ANSI US one, a very nice change if you ask me, It was great to experience that I can adapt to and love a new keyboard

I initially had issues with the clicky space key, which I fixed by removing and lubing the space key balancer, the issue didn't return (yet) (I don't think it will, if it will, I have better lubes readied) (It wasn't pleasant experiencing that issue on my first mechanical keyboard, I almost returned back to my K800)

I also ordered a sampler pack with my initial V2, and to my surprise, I fell in lose with the Cherry MX Green, such sound, such strength, so wow

Now I'm waiting my second WASD V2 with green switches to clear the customs :D

I've noticed that the human skin is very capable, as it wrinkles in water to increase the grip ability, it also does the same for glossy surfaces
Owning a glossy finished custom wooden desk, I have to clean my desk every week or so, the same applied to the K800, the glossy keys were always getting dirty

The WASD V2 keys are not as glossy, yet after 1-2 weeks of usage, some keys started losing their perfect shine and has minor amounts of sweat/grease on them

My quest for a perfect keyboard lies in these issues:
  • Would PBT keys prevent finger grease, forever? (it doesn't matter if it reduces the grease, I'm wondering whether the PBT surface might prevent it)
  • Is there a perfect balancer system out there? (The WASD V2's is pretty decent after some research, yet I'm always afraid that the balancer click will return)

(I'm also loving the thick WASD O-rings by the way, one key was missing it's O-ring, I proudly noticed it and applied a spare o-ring that I got)

I guess I might get a Leopold FC750R with black switches next, just to broaden my perspective

I'm open to any advice,
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
Re: Hi Everyone - My path from Logitech K800's to WASD V2's
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 08:52:31 »
Welcome to Geekhack! :cool:

If you like MX greens, you should try buckling springs. ;D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hi Everyone - My path from Logitech K800's to WASD V2's
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 22:33:12 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

One simple way to clean keycaps is to soak them in warm water with 2 or 3 denture tabs (that are usually used for cleaning dentures).  Let them dry completely, then replace onto the keyboard.

WASD keycaps are ABS, which is a fairly soft plastic that will shine.  How long depends on how much use, and what chemicals are on your finger tips.  Chances are yours have started to shine already.

PBT keycaps will not shine, at least not for a very long time, but will still allow oils from your fingers to transfer to the keycaps.  Fortunately they are also easily cleaned with the aforementioned denture tabs.

Some people use warm soapy water.  Some use rubbing alcohol.  I have used denture tabs several times with excellent results.  They are cheap and simple, and the ones I got smell slightly minty.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ