Author Topic: Hi, everyone.  (Read 1976 times)

Offline dastels

• SteelSeries
Hi, everyone.
« on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 14:02:29 »
I just wanted to say Hi. I'm Dave Astels, and I do "research & innovation" at SteelSeries. Part of what I do is think about keyboards.  I'm always looking for a "better" programming keyboard. I build an Ergodox and used it for several months before deciding it wasn't for me.  I found some Sun Type-3s on eBay, cleaned them up and wrote/built a USB convertor for them. That's what I use at home now. I fell in love with the feel of it in grad school.

I'm actually quite happy with our (i.e. Steelseries) new M800 mechanical. I'm playing around with remapping things to be more like the old Lisp Machine keyboards.

What I'm most excited about is that I'm starting a project to prototype a modernized version of the Space Cadet.

Dave
Dave Astels
Lead Engineer, Research & Innovation
Steelseries
steelseries.com

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
Re: Hi, everyone.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 23:34:36 »
Wooooow, you work for SteelSeries? That must be pretty awesome. Are you only focused on keyboards or peripherals in general?
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 10:12:01 »
Welcome to GH! I've thought about making an Ergodox myself, but I'd like to hear more about this new Space Cadet. :))

Maybe while we're at it we can push for a more clean looking and mechanical ZBOARD:p

Offline dastels

• SteelSeries
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 11:14:43 »
Welcome to GH! I've thought about making an Ergodox myself, but I'd like to hear more about this new Space Cadet. :))

Maybe while we're at it we can push for a more clean looking and mechanical ZBOARD:p

Thanks, I've been lurking off & on for a while... getting more & more interested and involved in keyboard ideas. And becoming more & more of a keyboard snob and archeologist.

Zboard.. hehe... that was way before my time here.

Have a look at the new M800 (sorry.. I'm not here to be a shill.. honest). It has some cool features, and I have been working quite a bit on/with it.  I'd be very interested in what people here think of our new switch and keycaps (quiet, low profile, mechanical, new design from the ground up).

First pass will be a Space Cadet layout using our new QS1 switches. I like the feel of them on the M800, but we'll see. Note that this is a personal project, and likely won't see production. Also... how to handle 7 modifiers on each side with USB...

Dave
Dave Astels
Steelseries
steelseries.com

Offline dastels

• SteelSeries
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 11:22:46 »
Wooooow, you work for SteelSeries? That must be pretty awesome. Are you only focused on keyboards or peripherals in general?

It can be a lot of fun.

I get involved in pretty much anything and everything. That includes software, firmware, and hardware. One big goal/focus is to improve the integration between all 3 layers.
Dave Astels
Steelseries
steelseries.com

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 04:18:40 »
Hello, welcome! It must be cool to be working in the industry... do you mind if I ask, how did you get started?

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 01:35:05 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Are you here as a semi-official SteelSeries representative, or just as a simple keyboard enthusiast?

We've found that one way a keyboard manufacturer can really improve their relationship with the keyboard community is by simply participating in community discussions.  A little bit of advertising here and there is often appreciated.

But if you've simply joined to share your joy of mechanical keyboards, then I hope you enjoy your stay :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dastels

• SteelSeries
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 15:49:35 »
Hello, welcome! It must be cool to be working in the industry... do you mind if I ask, how did you get started?

Thanks.   It's a long & round about story. I started doing hardware: robotics and such. Went though many random mech keyboards in the early 80s. My first keyboard love was the Sun Type-3 (and I recently got a couple and converted them to USB... and use one on my mac at home).  Overall, I've been writing software for 30ish years  and found myself as lead software eng at Steelseries a few years ago. Since then I've gotten bumped to running research & innovation for the company... hardware, firmware, software... all of it.
Dave Astels
Steelseries
steelseries.com

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 15:53:37 »
When you mention Space Cadet, are you talking about modern Honneywell/Micro Switch Hall Effect keyboard?
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline dastels

• SteelSeries
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 15:57:12 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Are you here as a semi-official SteelSeries representative, or just as a simple keyboard enthusiast?

We've found that one way a keyboard manufacturer can really improve their relationship with the keyboard community is by simply participating in community discussions.  A little bit of advertising here and there is often appreciated.

But if you've simply joined to share your joy of mechanical keyboards, then I hope you enjoy your stay :)

A bit of both, to be honest. My duties are starting to include being an official technical/developer representation/ambassador/etc.
Dave Astels
Steelseries
steelseries.com

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 06:04:14 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

A bit of both, to be honest. My duties are starting to include being an official technical/developer representation/ambassador/etc.

If you'll be routinely reasonably active around here, you might qualify for a vendor forum.

You'll need to speak to the admins about that, but it would give you a place to announce new products and open discussions with forum members about your keyboards :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dastels

• SteelSeries
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 10:11:22 »
When you mention Space Cadet, are you talking about modern Honneywell/Micro Switch Hall Effect keyboard?

Alas, not this time, although I'd love to do that. I'm talking more about layout and capabilities.  I'll be using the new SteelSeries QS1 switch.
Dave Astels
Steelseries
steelseries.com