Author Topic: Hello Geekhack!  (Read 1474 times)

Offline the aether

Hello Geekhack!
« on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 02:48:07 »
Hello from San Francisco! I started getting into mechanical keyboards a few months ago and have grown somewhat obsessed. Right now I own two Topre Realforce 87UB55's (one for home, one for work) and a KUL ES-87 with MX red switches and a custom Signature Plastics G20 keyset and WASD 40A-R o-rings. (I use the MX red board solely for gaming. I am planning on writing up a detailed review of the G20 keys soon, I don't think they're getting as much love as they deserve.) Before I bought my own keyboards I borrowed my roommate's Das Keyboard 2 with MX Blues and I was hooked. I also used to own a KUL ES-87 with MX clears which I returned to mechanicalkeyboards.com after about 3 weeks because at the time I found clears too gritty and stiff. I've come to regret this and and hopefully I'll pick up a new board with clears and possibly do an ergo clear and lube mod soon. I'm also interested in trying to pick up a Leopold FC750R with MX blues eventually, and maybe a Filco Majestouch with MX browns. As you can probably tell by now I'm addicted :p Have to force myself not to order them all at once! Anyways, excited to stop lurking and start joining in the discussion :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hello Geekhack!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 05:44:47 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

The addiction is strong with this one.  You will fit in well around here ;)

Any plans for more custom keycap sets?  Are you lusting after any artisan keycaps (Clacks, Bro Caps, or any of the other wonderful and sometimes unique customs available)?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline the aether

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 12:50:32 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Any plans for more custom keycap sets?  Are you lusting after any artisan keycaps (Clacks, Bro Caps, or any of the other wonderful and sometimes unique customs available)?

Oh trust that I want them all lol... a big fan of Bro Caps especially. If I can get my hands on some of Bro Caps new gamer keys I might have to try to get a domeswapped 30G uniform Realforce to game on. But yeah, better access to artisan keycaps is part of the reason that I joined GH :)

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 15:25:58 »
Welcome to GeekHack!

Patience and participating in discussions will help you a lot on the search for artisans.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 22:58:18 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Oh trust that I want them all lol... a big fan of Bro Caps especially. If I can get my hands on some of Bro Caps new gamer keys I might have to try to get a domeswapped 30G uniform Realforce to game on. But yeah, better access to artisan keycaps is part of the reason that I joined GH :)

As ghostjuggernaut has suggested, patience is key.

Some people are lucky soon after they join, for other the luck comes many months after joining.

So patience, and don't be surprised to miss out on your first few sales, but enjoy the moment if you happen to be successful :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline the aether

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 15:39:04 »
I actually ordered 3 artisan keycaps from Hot Keys Project's sale on mechanicalkeyboards.com. Pumped for them to arrive, considering getting a backlit keyboard to properly show them off :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 03:34:27 »
I actually ordered 3 artisan keycaps from Hot Keys Project's sale on mechanicalkeyboards.com. Pumped for them to arrive, considering getting a backlit keyboard to properly show them off :D

An excellent choice!  Hot Keys have made some fantastic keycaps :)