Author Topic: hello everyone  (Read 1805 times)

Offline wakko

hello everyone
« on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 02:02:26 »
hi,

my day job is a programmer, so i spent most of my time clicking away on a keyboard. i recently started looking into better keyboards than my apple wireless. so i bought a kul, should've discovered it earlier. i stumbled onto keypuller and saw pictures of the solarized sa set. wow... which lead me here.

so hello everyone...
NOOB
KUL ES-87

Offline fknraiden

Re: hello everyone
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 02:09:06 »
welcome! how do you like the KUL? i only hear good about it.
watch out for your wallet when it comes to those keysets, can be dangerous with all that beautiful plastic out there.

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 05:55:11 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Which switches have you got in the KUL?  Whichever ones you have, it would definitely be a huge difference to the Apple keyboard.

I went from an Apple aluminium keyboard to a Ducky Shine with MX blues, and I haven't looked back!  Well, maybe once or twice, to try to remember what it was like when I still had some money :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline wakko

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 13:25:11 »
i got the kul with reds. Wanted blues but i thought about my coworkers sanity. it's not a whole lot quieter but there is no click. and yes it's gonna hurt by wallet. already thinking of getting one with blues and more keycaps....  :-[

kul is pretty awesome. love it. then again i've only used standard keyboards before, mostly apple ones. the reason i ended up on KUL was partly because of the dip switches and otherwise familiar layout. if anyone has recommendations for other mac compatible keyboards, i'd love to hear them. i do want the media keys etc. working at the keyboard level...

can i get in on the group buys as a new member? i read the rules and it said i can't start "topics" but wasn't sure about joining group buys. i'm very familiar with group buys because of my other interests.
NOOB
KUL ES-87

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 02:09:09 »
The blues do have a high-pitches tick tick sound that can annoy some.

You can try O-rings under the keycaps which should deaden the bottoming out sound a bit, if your co-workers are still not happy.

You can certainly join a GB as a new member.  You can even host one, if you REALLY want, although most would recommend against it ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline wakko

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 19:47:18 »
After some googling settled on a poker 3 with clears. Will have to wait to try the blues/greens later. Did order some o-rings just in case.

Geez, already joined like 3 group buys.
NOOB
KUL ES-87

Offline wakko

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 19:48:35 »
So reds and clears for now. Both are linear non-tactile. Will see how that goes.
NOOB
KUL ES-87

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 08:41:25 »
Welcome!

And wow, 3 group buys! A hot start! That's awesome  :D

I think you'll find that reds and clears are quite different (if you appreciate feedback while typing, you'll like the clears). I prefer heavier switches, and could easily see myself rotating mx blacks and clears out often.

Offline wakko

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 14:19:25 »
Does anyone know if gateron clear tops will fit the cherry reds and maybe reduce the wobble?
NOOB
KUL ES-87

Offline burn1nsun

• My stupid YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 13:45:43 »
Hello human being
HHKB Pro 2 l Pok3r Gateron Blacks

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 05:41:59 »
So reds and clears for now. Both are linear non-tactile. Will see how that goes.

MX clears are tactile ;)

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 07:25:48 »
Welcome to GH! I love my KUL I'm thinking about swapping the switches though. Be careful not to get too wallethack'd!