Author Topic: Opening a DAS III  (Read 9212 times)

Offline Rajagra

Opening a DAS III
« on: Sat, 12 September 2009, 14:42:46 »
Firstly, I'll say that opening up the DAS III keyboard is risky. It will void your warranty, and there is a risk of damaging the case.

You don't have to remove the keycaps, but if you do it might make the process a bit easier.

There are 3 screws that need to be removed. One is below the sticker labelled "Do not remove." Remove the sticker, and the screw you find below it.

The other 2 screws are under the rubber feet at the back of the keyboard, i.e. near the fold-out feet. Remove the 2 rubber feet and screws.

Now the fun begins. There are 8 plastic clips holding the case together. They are not designed to be disassembled.

Here are closeups of the clips. You can see they are designed to clip together easily and not to come apart. They are also some distance from the 'seam' where the 2 halves of the case meet, making it doubly difficult to persuade them to undo.
This is inside the lower shell:

And this is on the upper shell:

For each clip you need to apply 3 forces:
    [*]A little force pulling the case halves apart;
    [*]Some outward force on the bottom shell;
    [*]If you can, some inward force on the part of the upper shell that lies inside the lower shell.
    [/LIST]

I did this by wedging 3 fingernails into the seam near each clip and levering the bottom shell away from the top shell. This isn't straightforward. You can't use brute force. Keep wriggling the lower shell about, and eventually the clip should pop open.

The order is important.

Start with the clip near the USB cable, but furthest from the USB hump (top left in the picture.) Be warned, it is tricky and frustrating. You should aim to use the minimum force necessary to open the clip. And repeated attempts while wriggling the parts around are more likely to work than brute force.

When done, move on to the clip between the USB cable and the hump. Sorry, but this one might be even more difficult, as it was for me. At least you will have the advantage of knowing where the clips are!

When that second clip is open, heave a sigh of relief, it should be easy from now on.

Undo the left and right clips. Use the same technique. These were easy for me.

Now STOP! You don't need to undo the final four clips in the same way. Instead, you can rotate the top shell forward. Start by lifting the back of the top shell about an inch. Wriggle it up and down, avoiding use of force. This rocking motion should eventually make the remaining 4 clips come undone, and the top will come off. Congratulations!

Once the case is open memorize the way the USB cable is routed internally. The small controller board is held in place by 2 screws. The keys and their PCB just lift out.

Offline wellington1869

Opening a DAS III
    « Reply #1 on: Sat, 12 September 2009, 14:53:22 »
    awesome details, thanks raj.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline Infinite north

Opening a DAS III
    « Reply #2 on: Fri, 23 July 2010, 19:39:28 »
    This link has two working links with more disassembly photos.

http://repair4keyboard.org/disassembly_das_keyboard.html