Author Topic: New to it all.  (Read 1095 times)

Offline olijuice

New to it all.
« on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 21:16:12 »
Hi everyone!  I am extremely new to the world of mechanical keyboards and the communities.  Just saying hello!  about 3 weeks ago I had never typed on a mechanical keyboard but I was really interested in one as I was tired of typing on a 5 year old Logitech wireless keyboard at work.  I've been doing my research on various switches and I decided I liked the Leopold FC660C Topre so I bought one about 2 weeks ago.  I've been using it for about a week now at the office and I really enjoy it.  I also bought a Corsair Vengeance K65 to use at home but I am still waiting on that to arrive.   I like the smaller keyboards because I can keep it better centered and close to my mouse.

Now my new mission is to figure out how to customize my Topre!  I knew it would be more difficult than buying Cherry MX switches but I just really liked the look of the Leopold and maybe eventually I will find some cool keycaps for it.

Offline Ludovician

Re: New to it all.
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 02:24:01 »
Welcome.

There are a few custom Topre keycaps around, but there's nowhere near as much available as there is for Cherry, as you seem to have noticed. If you feel like putting in some effort to make the board sound quieter (less clacking on the upstroke), you can check out spiceBar's silencing mod.

Going straight to Topre was a bold move. Glad you're enjoying it though.
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 05:40:57 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Another happy FC660C user :)

As Ludovician said, replacement keycaps for Topre keyboards are few and far between, and unfortunately Leopold chose a non-standard layout (if there is such a thing as a standard Topre layout, with the very few Topre keyboards available), making it even more difficult to get replacement keycap sets.

Many artisans produce Topre variants of their work, and one or two guys are working on making "ordinary" replacement Topre keycaps in various styles and colours, o there is still hope!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 07:28:35 »
Welcome to geekhack! As rowdy said just sit tight to get your hands on some nice Topre keycaps believe me it will pay off. I need to pick up a Topre board.