Author Topic: hello!  (Read 1633 times)

Offline rm-rf

hello!
« on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 15:20:47 »
i recently found this website and i have been lurking for the past two weeks.
so... hello!

definitely interested in a few group buys to make my wallet destruct.
and collecting a few key caps here and there.

i have been using a model M for most of my life, but many years ago someone had given me a cherry G80-1800 with brown switches.
i still use it every once in a while. but the layout of the keys always kind of drove me crazy, really its just those arrow keys.
but i do love using cherry switches.

but my pride and joy is a portable 286 machine "cherry puter." its got milky switches.
and cherry branding all over it
99381-0

last week, i had gone into a computer thrift store and bought two old terminal keyboards, with cherry mx black switches.
and now i just want to mod one to give it more keys, gut the pcb, and rewire it with the teensy.
99383-1

i think my next step will be to buy some cherry mx green switches, and build something from scratch.

but then again, i always overwhelm myself with many projects.
lets just hope i don't ramble on as much in my other posts from here on out.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: hello!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 21:37:17 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

For a moment I thought that was a Dolch PAC you had - that luggable.  What colour are the keycaps?  Loks kinda Dolch-ish ...

If the terminal keyboard is old enough, it might even have the silky smooth vintage blacks in it!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 21:54:22 »
thanks!

the portable machine is dark olive with orange text, and slightly green beige with white text ,
i may have to pull the caps from it for a future build.

as for the two terminal keyboards type pretty smooth, they feel like they have never been used as per each keystroke. there was no stickers/labels to identify them.
when i get back home i will have to open it up again and get some numbers off the pcb.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 21:57:06 »
I like your handle.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 22:35:41 »
I like your handle.

Many Unices now include a --no-preserve-root option that must be included for this to have effect.

Not that the command really makes sense - as superuser you'd be up for a reinstall anyway, so why not just reformat in the first place :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 22:36:53 »
Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss, another Philadelphian!

Welcome brother, hope you enjoy your time here! :)

Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 22:45:39 »
rowdy...you been hitting some of that Durban Poison?;)

His/her handle is "rm -rf" not "rm -rf /". I just took it as a nod to *nix and nothing more. :p
SSKs for everyone!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 02:03:46 »
rowdy...you been hitting some of that Durban Poison?;)

His/her handle is "rm -rf" not "rm -rf /". I just took it as a nod to *nix and nothing more. :p

Probably, I got too excited at short notice.

Again :))

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 07:18:40 »
Welcome to GH! I like the weird layout of the second keyboard for sure. There's definitely many chances to wreck your wallet on here. Good luck! :D