Author Topic: Ola  (Read 1650 times)

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
Ola
« on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 13:34:34 »
Hello all, so I've just recently FINALLY started getting into mechanical keyboards. Professionally I would classify myself as DevOps, but I've recently started moving towards a more Dev focused role. Since I'm finally working out of my own office rather than a shared work space, I decided it was time to drop some $$$ on some keyboards.

So far I've purchased 2 keyboards, though I've only received one thus far. I started with a Corsair K70 RGB (Vengeance not that lame tramp stamp) w/Browns mostly because I was aiming for maximum douchebaggery. I also ordered some of the Max Keycaps front print translucent keys, but USPS is incompetent, so I may be waiting a bit.

Anyway, now I'm starting to look at other more serious keyboards. I ordered a Varmilo VA87MR since I wanted to try something with linears and I heard good things about Gateron Blacks. Mostly though I've been looking at getting a few keyboards with Cherry Clears.

I keep bouncing around between the various ones. I'm mostly interested in TKL/75% boards, but I think I may get a Pok3r with clears once they release the led version (I'm a sucker for LEDs). Other than that I can't decide between all the options, Ducky Shine 4, WASD CODE, KUL-87 all look interesting. I'm sure there are more that I'm not aware of. I fully expect to end up with at least 5-8 keyboards, but I'm in no rush, just wanna try all the things. I'm half tempted to just go full custom and like order a GON or build something.

I'm also obsessed with keycaps. In addition to the translucent keys I got from Max, I have ordered Vortex Blue on Whites and Tai-Hao Black Orange and Dark Blood keysets from MassDrop and I just ordered the new JTK set from Ctrl[ALT]. I suspect I will always end up having 3-4x as many caps as I do keyboards, no matter how many boards I get.

Anyway, if anyone has any good suggestions on boards with Clears, I'd love to hear it. I'm also open to advice on other switches. I will probably get at least 1 clicky keyboard, but I much prefer the feeling of linear and tactile keys.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Ola
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 14:03:52 »
I was aiming for maximum douchebaggery.

Should've went with a IBM Model F with the solenoid installed then  :cool:. Here's an example:

All of the loud

Anyway, if anyone has any good suggestions on boards with Clears, I'd love to hear it. I'm also open to advice on other switches. I will probably get at least 1 clicky keyboard, but I much prefer the feeling of linear and tactile keys.

Buy something you'd like and have it modded to Clears. So maybe a Ducky or KUL. Poker 2 comes in Clears now too.

Linear? I really like Gateron Blacks and Complicated Linear Green Alps.

Welcome to Geekhack! Enjoy your time here :)

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 14:10:22 »
Welcome! If you are interested in Clears, you should also - if possible - try out a board with Topre switches!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV29iRCba3w

All of the loud

I have also made a video of a loud Beamspring keyboard, mine is (without case) way louder :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK2cnxXauls
... ...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 14:11:50 »
It's ok to flinch and duck Amnesia. :))

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 15:18:16 »
I was aiming for maximum douchebaggery.

Should've went with a IBM Model F with the solenoid installed then  :cool:. Here's an example:

All of the loud

Buy something you'd like and have it modded to Clears. So maybe a Ducky or KUL. Poker 2 comes in Clears now too.

Linear? I really like Gateron Blacks and Complicated Linear Green Alps.

Welcome to Geekhack! Enjoy your time here :)

How hard is it to actually change the switches? I feel like I would be bad at soldering. Are there people that do miss like that for $$$

Welcome! If you are interested in Clears, you should also - if possible - try out a board with Topre switches!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV29iRCba3w

All of the loud

I have also made a video of a loud Beamspring keyboard, mine is (without case) way louder :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK2cnxXauls

I would love something this loud, though not for a daily driver. And I'd wanna figure out how to put it in a more reasonable case. I shall have to research this.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 16:15:22 »
A switch swap isn't that hard in the grand scheme of keyboard modding imo. Everyone starts out bad. I was lucky enough to had soldering practice at am old job but it's all practice. And yes there are people you can pay to mod your boards depending on where you live.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 06:05:57 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

MX clears are quite popular!

Also the Ducky Shine, CODE and KUL are all fine keyboards - you should be right with any one (or three!) of them :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ