Author Topic: Why won't logitech just remake the G9X?  (Read 59036 times)

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
Re: Why won't logitech just remake the G9X?
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 21:20:31 »
sucking it up because this mouse is too nice to not use just because of the ****ing scroll wheel, but it's too stiff man it actually hurts.

might try a 403 next?

Get a Logitech Trackman. Yes i know it has no sort of scroll wheel and that sucks, but it's the best mouse related input device I can possibly think of, for any purpose.

BTW Can't you replace the USB wire, and if that isn't the problem, the controller board inside of it with one from a different mouse..

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 21:23:03 »
the sensor would bother me after being on the 3366 for so long

and yeah there's no way i'm gonna use a trackman coming from a g9x with no shell, too big too heavy
I love Elzy

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 21:53:22 »
Middle mouse button on the G403/G Pro is better than the G502, but still lackluster compared to the G602/G402/G303.

My Castor has one of the better middle mouse buttons of the past few years, and the cable while braided isn't stiff - similar in flexibility to paracord with it's internal core removed.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 18:35:55 »
the sensor would bother me after being on the 3366 for so long

and yeah there's no way i'm gonna use a trackman coming from a g9x with no shell, too big too heavy

Nothing to pick up? But I understand it's a whole different thing from using any mouse at all.

Offline Tsubaki

• I browse 4chan's Technology board
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 06:22:00 »
I know this is old but there probably shouldn't be more threads.

I'm not sure why logitech hasn't released a modernized g9x yet. They perfected their sensor/switches/firmware ages ago and pump out tons of weird and awkwardly shaped mouses with it. The g9x is for sure the best shaped mouse for fingertip gripping ever released, and I suppose logitech thinks the g303/g502 are proper replacements for it when they are not at all similar.

I've always hated inadequate sensors or firmware with smoothing/random acceleration/delay and what not but I still use the G9x over the dozens that I've tried. (EC2a, ninox aurora, ZA13, G-pro, G303, G400, FK2, WMO, abyssus, kinzu/kinzuadder)

From my understanding of the G9x sensor, the ADNS-9500, I will give some advice that might make using it more bearable. Laser sensors jitter a lot on bumpy and uneven surfaces, such as low-quality cloth mousepads like the QCK. Firmware is used to negate the jitter and this results in about 5% negative/positive acceleration at random. From my experience using flat surfaces lessens the acceleration quite a bit. I'm not really sure what the flattest kinds of mousepads would be but I'm currently using a frostpad (which is a glass mousepad similar to the icemat).

I'll make a list here of what are likely flat mousepads, starting from the flattest:
icemat/frostpad (the only issue with glass is that it degrades your mouseskates faster, you likely would need a few replacement ones)
any hardpad (I'm not fond of these at all, maybe some people would be)
artisan (the semi-hard/semi-glass ones such as the shiden)
artisan (cloth)
zowie GS-R (this mousepad is high quality & manufactured to be quite flat/durable, unlike the QCK, I am unsure if laser sensors perform any different on cloth pads though)

Another thing is that the G9x tends to jitter significantly if the sensor lens is dirty. You can test if there is any jitter by setting your G9x to the highest dpi and opening paint, switching to the pencil tool and drawing lines/circles. If it's dirty the jitter will be quite noticeable. To fix this just get a q-tip with isopropyl alcohol and rub the sensor. Usually the jitter isn't noticeable at low dpis but maybe it increases acceleration.

Lastly, the bigger shell is better than the precision one. Seriously
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 October 2017, 06:23:41 by Tsubaki »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 06:55:07 »
no shell best shell.

I use G pro now but have been unlucky with buttons that stop working. still hoping for my g9x remake
I love Elzy

Offline jackalopephoto

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 08:33:34 »
I know this is old but there probably shouldn't be more threads.

I'm not sure why logitech hasn't released a modernized g9x yet. They perfected their sensor/switches/firmware ages ago and pump out tons of weird and awkwardly shaped mouses with it. The g9x is for sure the best shaped mouse for fingertip gripping ever released, and I suppose logitech thinks the g303/g502 are proper replacements for it when they are not at all similar.

I've always hated inadequate sensors or firmware with smoothing/random acceleration/delay and what not but I still use the G9x over the dozens that I've tried. (EC2a, ninox aurora, ZA13, G-pro, G303, G400, FK2, WMO, abyssus, kinzu/kinzuadder)

From my understanding of the G9x sensor, the ADNS-9500, I will give some advice that might make using it more bearable. Laser sensors jitter a lot on bumpy and uneven surfaces, such as low-quality cloth mousepads like the QCK. Firmware is used to negate the jitter and this results in about 5% negative/positive acceleration at random. From my experience using flat surfaces lessens the acceleration quite a bit. I'm not really sure what the flattest kinds of mousepads would be but I'm currently using a frostpad (which is a glass mousepad similar to the icemat).

I'll make a list here of what are likely flat mousepads, starting from the flattest:
icemat/frostpad (the only issue with glass is that it degrades your mouseskates faster, you likely would need a few replacement ones)
any hardpad (I'm not fond of these at all, maybe some people would be)
artisan (the semi-hard/semi-glass ones such as the shiden)
artisan (cloth)
zowie GS-R (this mousepad is high quality & manufactured to be quite flat/durable, unlike the QCK, I am unsure if laser sensors perform any different on cloth pads though)

Another thing is that the G9x tends to jitter significantly if the sensor lens is dirty. You can test if there is any jitter by setting your G9x to the highest dpi and opening paint, switching to the pencil tool and drawing lines/circles. If it's dirty the jitter will be quite noticeable. To fix this just get a q-tip with isopropyl alcohol and rub the sensor. Usually the jitter isn't noticeable at low dpis but maybe it increases acceleration.

Lastly, the bigger shell is better than the precision one. Seriously

For some reason Logitech only now sells one fingertip mouse out of their dozens of gaming mice, and it's symmetrical (yet only has side buttons on the left so lefties can't use them anyway). Dumb... The vast majority of humans on planet earth who use a computer are fingertip mousers.

Offline maylily

• Custom keyboard | Artisan keycap
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 22 October 2017, 00:07:21 »
U can buy alienware tactx mouse like me  :cool: it's logitech OEM for alienware

Offline mittyzz

• Pet kitties play with _______...
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 20:55:02 »
PLEASE. I miss that mouse so much. :(

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 00:44:54 »
So someone made a straight clone of the G9/G9x with a centered 3360:

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?&id=570009774507

Do note that there's no guarantee they'll make another batch so if you're tentative about spending the money I'd just go ahead and do so.  Found out about this weeks ago but it was no longer for sale, so I'm pretty happy they decided to do another run.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 23:02:04 »
holy ****
I love Elzy

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 23:20:55 »
damn pmw3360

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 22:03:00 »
So I received that G9 clone today (which I'll call the G9c). First thing I'll mention is that interestingly, the G9c's mousefeet are actually smaller than the actual G9x. I don't have my original G9 anymore but I'm pretty sure they were the same size as the G9x, so for whatever reason they simply decided to make the feet smaller. Along the same lines, the weight tray is actually slightly different on the G9c too so they aren't interchangeable (though I'd be surprised if anyone here will be using that). Next up is that while the Precision grip fits on the G9c, for whatever reason it sits very slightly lower than it does on the G9x, which causes it to drag with the stock feet. I tried replacing them with some generic IME3.0 feet I had but it wasn't any better, so unless my unit is just out of tolerance then you'll need some slightly thicker feet if you want to use a grip.

As far as the stock DPI steps go the lowest DPI step is 800, with the next ones being 1200, 1600 and 2000 (didn't check further than that since I don't care, but there are 7 total). The taobao page does mention 200-12000 DPI so perhaps there is some software to customize the steps? Cable is not amazing, though I have become spoiled by paracords and wireless mice anyway. But luckily this thing uses the standard size connector that most mice have rather than the smaller one the G9x uses, making it easy to swap out with any cables you'd already have.

Complaints out of the way, I'll move onto what I like. First is that aside from the aforementioned dragging issue, the actual G9x precision grip fits just fine (I'd say it's more secure actually, but that could be just due to my G9x wearing with age). Mouse wheel is actually pretty decent and the middle click is way better than the actual G9x. There's a bit of pretravel on the LMB/RMB but not too bad, and the clicks are fine (some type of blue Huanos as you'll see in the pictures below). The side buttons and DPI buttons are streets ahead of the original G9x; instead of whatever the mushy buttons Logitech used, they feel and sound distinctly mechanical on the G9c.

Weight of the G9c without a shell or tray is 70g vs 78g for the G9x (95g for the G9c with the precision grip). Build quality is fine, not gonna win any awards but definitely better than some of the generic mice I've had. As for performance I haven't done any in-game testing but I don't notice anything inherent terrible just mucking about, but I've included some mousetester plots (frequency does look a bit wonky, but I'm not well versed in reading this stuff so maybe it's normal?).

Crappy pictures below:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 00:23:42 »
That looks pretty well made, definitely not amateur.. cable shielded.. rotary encoder spring looks thick, 

So, no obvious corner cutting.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 09:09:06 »
havent seen any programmable software for it for dpi so haven't hopped on it but really  tempted
I love Elzy

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 22:07:25 »
One other thing I'll mention is that I did a bump test for input lag, and while those can be iffy, it's roughly 15-18ms slower than a G9x (which is a low lag mouse).  So it's among the lower tier gaming mice in that regard, but I lose quick-draws in games already anyway.

By the way, it actually does have software.  TBH I have no idea where the actual source is, but this is the link someone posted elsewhere and it checked out virus-wise.  Software is nothing fancy, but does the job:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 07:46:48 »
One other thing I'll mention is that I did a bump test for input lag, and while those can be iffy, it's roughly 15-18ms slower than a G9x (which is a low lag mouse).  So it's among the lower tier gaming mice in that regard, but I lose quick-draws in games already anyway.

By the way, it actually does have software.  TBH I have no idea where the actual source is, but this is the link someone posted elsewhere and it checked out virus-wise.  Software is nothing fancy, but does the job:

Show Image

Show Image

Highly controversial ..

it wouldn't be fair unless you arduino up to both and test that way.

Offline XNine

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 12 August 2018, 12:49:40 »
So I received that G9 clone today (which I'll call the G9c). First thing I'll mention is that interestingly, the G9c's mousefeet are actually smaller than the actual G9x. I don't have my original G9 anymore but I'm pretty sure they were the same size as the G9x, so for whatever reason they simply decided to make the feet smaller. Along the same lines, the weight tray is actually slightly different on the G9c too so they aren't interchangeable (though I'd be surprised if anyone here will be using that). Next up is that while the Precision grip fits on the G9c, for whatever reason it sits very slightly lower than it does on the G9x, which causes it to drag with the stock feet. I tried replacing them with some generic IME3.0 feet I had but it wasn't any better, so unless my unit is just out of tolerance then you'll need some slightly thicker feet if you want to use a grip.

As far as the stock DPI steps go the lowest DPI step is 800, with the next ones being 1200, 1600 and 2000 (didn't check further than that since I don't care, but there are 7 total). The taobao page does mention 200-12000 DPI so perhaps there is some software to customize the steps? Cable is not amazing, though I have become spoiled by paracords and wireless mice anyway. But luckily this thing uses the standard size connector that most mice have rather than the smaller one the G9x uses, making it easy to swap out with any cables you'd already have.

Complaints out of the way, I'll move onto what I like. First is that aside from the aforementioned dragging issue, the actual G9x precision grip fits just fine (I'd say it's more secure actually, but that could be just due to my G9x wearing with age). Mouse wheel is actually pretty decent and the middle click is way better than the actual G9x. There's a bit of pretravel on the LMB/RMB but not too bad, and the clicks are fine (some type of blue Huanos as you'll see in the pictures below). The side buttons and DPI buttons are streets ahead of the original G9x; instead of whatever the mushy buttons Logitech used, they feel and sound distinctly mechanical on the G9c.

Weight of the G9c without a shell or tray is 70g vs 78g for the G9x (95g for the G9c with the precision grip). Build quality is fine, not gonna win any awards but definitely better than some of the generic mice I've had. As for performance I haven't done any in-game testing but I don't notice anything inherent terrible just mucking about, but I've included some mousetester plots (frequency does look a bit wonky, but I'm not well versed in reading this stuff so maybe it's normal?).

Crappy pictures below:

So, the question I have is: how the hell do I order this thing?  LOL  I've been pestering Logitech for YEARS to make a new one (along with a Mechanical G13) and they just continue to make more shoddy gamer mice that have zero ability to compete with the G9/G9X shape-wise.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 20:14:49 »
i don't know **** about how to read that frequency chart but i bought 2 of these to pick up when i go to china.
I love Elzy

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 16 November 2018, 21:47:30 »
can't get the software to work, says my mouse is disconnected. help

also as far as the input lag goes i'm getting the same result vs my g pro but i can't tell if it's because the switches are heavier.

doing reaction tests comparing the two as well gives a similar result but again it feels partly due to the fact that the click is heavier.

these stock feet are like, way faster than hyperglidez lol.

one major problem i'm having is the LOD though. :(

maybe i will sell them.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 November 2018, 22:42:42 by Sifo »
I love Elzy