Author Topic: [IC] GMK DOOM | GB NOW LIVE!  (Read 94459 times)

Offline LDobler

Re: [IC] GMK "DOOM" | PRICING ADDED! - UPDATE #9 (22 / 03 / 2017)
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 14:31:01 »
I would be in for 2 novelty sets. Those would fit GMK Dolch perfectly if you keep those colours :D

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

Offline x86ect

« Reply #151 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 14:47:24 »
What if the base kit was all black with the additional orange backspace, but the novelties were bundled with the grey accents in a separate pack for those who wish to maintain the DOOM theme?

This would allow customers who want this just for the black and grey to purchase this, without having to pay to much and forcing them to purchase keys they do not want.

These would be the 2 kits:

- Base kits (All Black Keycaps with Grey Legends + 1 Orange Backspace)
- Novelties + Coloured Accents. (Grey Keycaps + Novelties)

Also what do you think about the second backspace being black but the legend being orange? This would be instead of the entire key being orange.

I can see this working out best.
I like the black with orange legend; it's a subtle nod to geekhack as well.  If you want, you could have the full orange key in the novelty kit.

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #152 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 15:18:22 »
What if the base kit was all black with the additional orange backspace, but the novelties were bundled with the grey accents in a separate pack for those who wish to maintain the DOOM theme?

This would allow customers who want this just for the black and grey to purchase this, without having to pay to much and forcing them to purchase keys they do not want.

For me, I'm not a big novelty guy but it depends what the novelties are. So personally, I would like this if there was a color pack and then a novelty pack but this brings some MOQ questions up.

I would also like to keep the orange backspace as I feel it better displays the inspiration for this set and that a black base with orange legend may look more out of place. Whereas an orange base makes it clearly an accent.

It may be a poll would help.

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #153 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 16:03:08 »

For me, I'm not a big novelty guy but it depends what the novelties are. So personally, I would like this if there was a color pack and then a novelty pack but this brings some MOQ questions up.

I would also like to keep the orange backspace as I feel it better displays the inspiration for this set and that a black base with orange legend may look more out of place. Whereas an orange base makes it clearly an accent.

It may be a poll would help.

Also what do you think about the second backspace being black but the legend being orange? This would be instead of the entire key being orange.

I can see this working out best.
I like the black with orange legend; it's a subtle nod to geekhack as well.  If you want, you could have the full orange key in the novelty kit.

I would be in for 2 novelty sets. Those would fit GMK Dolch perfectly if you keep those colours :D

These would be the two options for the new base kit.

[Version 1]
163750-0

[Version 2]
163752-1

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #154 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 16:08:15 »
Forgot to ask, but how do you create a poll on GeekHack?

Offline Atredl

« Reply #155 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 16:34:12 »
Please don't remove the black 1.5u delete key. Without it, I can't get myself to buy this set.

I would add 1800 compatibility back as it is fairly popular. I would probably remove the 1.5u Orange Delete in favor of a black. I would probably require the people who want a 1u Backspace to suffice with the R1 Delete key supplied by 1800 compatibility.

I think since a lot of the attraction of this set is the ability to use it as a solely grey on black keyset, it would hurt it to remove the non-accent colored caps in favor of just having the accent colored caps. Rather, it may be better (if the option is to eliminate one or the other) to eliminate the accented version while leaving the base colored version. I definitely get where the want for the accent is coming from but I also think the 2u orange Backspace still effectively captures that.

Are you suggesting layout similar to this?

(Attachment Link)

Yes, I'm sure others will disagree and lay down ultimatums of never joining without ____ key!

I use the 1.5u Backspace and I'd much rather have a base colored than an accented so I can match the set with whatever I'd want. 2u is used by a large majority (I have this too) so it makes sense to have both accented and non. 1800 compatibility is pretty much becoming standard compatibility to add. IMO opinion it works, hopefully can get the price down a bit.

You said it in a much more detailed way than I did. I didn't want my comment to sound like an ultimatum but being able to have a full dark set is a big draw for me.

Thanks Mr. BeastQuake!

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #156 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 17:54:32 »
I am going to remove the coloured accent keys altogether, I do not think they add too much to the set.

The base kit will no longer include the coloured accents, and there will be no pack for them. If you are reading this and you would like the coloured accents please let me know, I will keep them if there is a lot of support for them. The orange 1.5u backspace key will also be removed unless there is support for it. The 1u Black Backspace will stay.

I and going to replace the Coloured Backspace with an orange novelty that says "MADVILLAINY". The novelty keys will be included in the base kit. Including the "MADVILLAINY" keycap, there will also be:

- ALL CAPS Novelty Key
- Accordion Novelty Key
- DOOM (Text)
- DOOM's Mask

Hopefully these changes will reduce the cost of this set.

I appreciate all feedback.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed feedback to this set so far, I really appreciate it.

Offline Vypr

« Reply #157 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 21:04:34 »
Thank you for putting this together and taking the time to listen to us and our requests.
Really looking forward to this  :thumb:
current keyboard: VE.A (home) WhiteFox TrueFox (home)  MD1 Infinity (Home)  Infinity Ergodox (work)
future keyboards:

Offline ricyuyc

« Reply #158 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 00:49:02 »
please keep the set as the version 3 shown on the OP

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #159 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 01:04:34 »
Personally, I like the grey accents and think they deserve a kit and a shot at MOQ. Buuuttttt part of me also thinks that an accent kit for this is any colored mod that has black legends and if you want to do that at a later date with the color tbd that works too ;)

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #160 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 11:08:02 »
Personally, I like the grey accents and think they deserve a kit and a shot at MOQ. Buuuttttt part of me also thinks that an accent kit for this is any colored mod that has black legends and if you want to do that at a later date with the color tbd that works too ;)

I think that the idea about using 1 album to capture the personality and creativity of DOOM was perhaps the wrong way to go about designing a keycap set about him. Whilst it is a great album, and one of my all time favourites, it does not tell the entire story about doom.

If people were to purchase this keycap set, but then add their own coloured accents or modifiers they would still represent DOOM in their own way as his albums have had a variety of different colours over the years.

For those who want an all black keycap set, but are still fans of doom, the novelty keys will be a great addition to this kit.

I am not sure if I have explained this correctly, but I think it is an interesting way to think about this set.

Hopefully I will have images of the novelties and renders soon. I am not sure about whether to include the novelties in the base kit as there will only be 5 of them, I will wait for GMK to provide an updated quote.

Thank you for putting this together and taking the time to listen to us and our requests.
Really looking forward to this  :thumb:

No problem! Thank you for the support!

Offline LDobler

« Reply #161 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 11:11:19 »
I say we don't rush this!

I'm a fan of Doom's work and it would be a shame if the keycap set didn't capture it right. :thumb:

A poll would also be helpful. Or some kind of Google form.

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #162 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 11:13:17 »

I'm a fan of Doom's work and it would be a shame if the keycap set didn't capture it right. :thumb:

How do you create a poll on GeekHack?

Offline LDobler

« Reply #163 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 11:14:39 »

How do you create a poll on GeekHack?
Sorry mate, I don't know.

People usually use external tools like google forms I think.

One example I can think of is the SA Nasa IC...

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #164 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 11:48:32 »
The problem with an all black set and recommending people add their own color kit is there's a severe lack of orange keys available elsewhere, and that was one of the major draws for me. Black, orange, gray just doesn't exist elsewhere and only a few sets (carbon, skidata) that are expensive to procure have any orange mods. I do think a color pack would be in order. You can get black on black sets already from several places.
keyboards.

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #165 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 12:09:07 »
The problem with an all black set and recommending people add their own color kit is there's a severe lack of orange keys available elsewhere, and that was one of the major draws for me. Black, orange, gray just doesn't exist elsewhere and only a few sets (carbon, skidata) that are expensive to procure have any orange mods. I do think a color pack would be in order. You can get black on black sets already from several places.

Thank you for the feedback.

I think at the moment, to include the coloured keys in the base kit is too expensive. If I were to include the coloured keys in this group buy, they would be in a separate kit, however I was hesitant to suggest   this as I am unsure about the coloured pack reaching the MOQ of 150.

If the demand is high for the coloured keys then I am happy to offer them as a separate pack.

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #166 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 15:14:31 »

Thank you for the feedback.

I think at the moment, to include the coloured keys in the base kit is too expensive. If I were to include the coloured keys in this group buy, they would be in a separate kit, however I was hesitant to suggest   this as I am unsure about the coloured pack reaching the MOQ of 150.

If the demand is high for the coloured keys then I am happy to offer them as a separate pack.

I agree that if the main kit gets too expensive then the discussion of what to do with the accent keys is moot as the main kit would possibly have trouble reaching MOQ. It might be worth hitting up r/mk after adding a color pack and setting the kits (relatively) since there is just a large number of people there and could help get some hype going, giving a better indication of the overall interest level.

Offline nickysan92

« Reply #167 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 21:29:40 »
Definitely interested in this! I agree with some users as to keeping the look as per indicated in version 3. But I wouldn't mind an all-black+dark grey set nonetheless.

Offline Jemaunji

« Reply #168 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 03:25:45 »
Interested! ;D

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #169 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 00:10:30 »
Definitely interested in this! I agree with some users as to keeping the look as per indicated in version 3. But I wouldn't mind an all-black+dark grey set nonetheless.

Interested! ;D

Thank you for the support!

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #170 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 00:16:14 »
What does the community think of this as the base set?

- Icons from modifiers (& other keys) removed
- Numpad keycaps improved

164025-0

Offline beninski

« Reply #171 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 01:06:26 »
Very nice. I think the text-only modifiers look much better. What do you think about adding 'code' to the blank win keys?

Offline x86ect

« Reply #172 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 09:52:22 »
Looks better with text only. I like the 'code' idea too.
It's becoming an end game set, CAPS.  :thumb:

Offline Applet

« Reply #173 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 10:06:07 »
I think "code" feels a bit out of place in this sets theme. But better than a blank imo.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #174 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 12:56:04 »
I hadn't thought about text only for this set but it does look attractive. Bring it on!

Also I don't think that adding code will match with this sets Doom theme

Offline KnightDX

« Reply #175 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 15:22:51 »
Deff keeping an eye on this , I love the color scheme.

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #176 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 13:05:54 »
Very nice. I think the text-only modifiers look much better. What do you think about adding 'code' to the blank win keys?

Looks better with text only. I like the 'code' idea too.
It's becoming an end game set, CAPS.  :thumb:

I think "code" feels a bit out of place in this sets theme. But better than a blank imo.

I hadn't thought about text only for this set but it does look attractive. Bring it on!

Also I don't think that adding code will match with this sets Doom theme

Deff keeping an eye on this , I love the color scheme.

Thank you for the feedback and support! I think the set looks much better without icons, and I am glad that others agree.

I agree that the keys don't look great blank, however I don't think "code" fits the theme.

I will add pricing for the set shown above as soon as possible.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #177 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 14:35:07 »
I agree that the keys don't look great blank, however I don't think "code" fits the theme.
How about novelties? That mask on the cover would look great.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #178 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 08:27:43 »
How about novelties? That mask on the cover would look great.

I am hoping to add more details about the novelties soon, but I can confirm that the mask design will be available most likely on a 1U R1 Key

Offline x86ect

« Reply #179 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 08:28:54 »
Any idea when this set might drop?

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #180 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 08:30:33 »
I can confirm that the mask design will be available most likely on a 1U R1 Key
Winkey novelties might raise some interest, as many are unhappy with the actual windows symbol.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #181 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 17:53:49 »
Any novelties or price updates? Also any idea when the GB is planned to be run?

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #182 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 10:10:25 »
Any novelties or price updates? Also any idea when the GB is planned to be run?

Apologies for the lack of updates. I have submitted the revised base kit to GMK and I am currently waiting for them to provide me with a price. At the same time novelties are also being worked on, and I will post them soon.

I will hopefully run this group buy by the end of the month.

Offline krutmob

« Reply #183 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 12:40:26 »
Talking with a jeweler friend of mind regarding making an MF DOOM metal face mask artisan for this. Interest?

Offline VereChi

« Reply #184 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 18:39:10 »
Nice looking set. I love black on Black.
But a little bit pricey. :eek:

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #185 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 14:00:54 »
Talking with a jeweler friend of mind regarding making an MF DOOM metal face mask artisan for this. Interest?

Sure! Please send me a PM, I would like to discuss this further.

Thank you for the feedback! I am still waiting to receive a quote from GMK for the latest base kit, however hopefully the price will be lower.

Offline donjoan666

« Reply #186 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 01:17:40 »

Sure! Please send me a PM, I would like to discuss this further.

Thank you for the feedback! I am still waiting to receive a quote from GMK for the latest base kit, however hopefully the price will be lower.

Any chance to add the windowed keys? ;_; really looking for this.

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #187 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 10:22:09 »
This keycap set is still happening. I am still waiting for GMK to provide me with a new quote, I am unsure as to why it is taking so long.

Offline donjoan666

« Reply #188 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 01:54:48 »
This keycap set is still happening. I am still waiting for GMK to provide me with a new quote, I am unsure as to why it is taking so long.

Thanks for the update. Hope they respond soon  :)

Offline merutz

• @merutz
« Reply #189 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 01:22:50 »
Funny how I missed this IC until now. Just wanted to say this set seems identical(apart from the orange backspace) to the one run specially for the Exent - http://i.imgur.com/YyiDVrM.png

Anyway, it looks great! I'm definetely interested.

QFR R-i/DSA Dolch   |   MX Master
     + yellow Esc

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #190 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 09:45:45 »
Funny how I missed this IC until now. Just wanted to say this set seems identical(apart from the orange backspace) to the one run specially for the Exent - http://i.imgur.com/YyiDVrM.png

Anyway, it looks great! I'm definetely interested.

Thank you for the support!

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #191 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 09:47:03 »
GMK have sent me  a new quote and they have also sent me some renders of the new updated kit.

I will be posting the  new price and renders as soon as possible.

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
Version 4 Renders:

168904-0

PRICING:

120.00 GBP / 156.01 USD / 138.96EUR

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit

Offline Robotical

That GMK render might have just sold me on this set.  :)

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
:thumb:

That GMK render might have just sold me on this set.  :)

Thank you for the support! Hopefully there will be more renders coming soon! I am also working on posting the novelties as soon as possible.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
Lovely render.
Any chance to have Backspace R2 instead of Delete? Oblivion has it so it's possible.

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
Lovely render.
Any chance to have Backspace R2 instead of Delete? Oblivion has it so it's possible.

Glad you like the render!

A few people have mentioned this, and I will work on getting the render updated.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
I will work on getting the render updated.
Great to hear. Thanks for taking our opinions into account.
One more thing: since you're using an iconless scheme, which is awesome, that R1 icon backspace has no reason to be, in my opinion.

Offline Atredl

...since you're using an iconless scheme, which is awesome...
I agree. It was one of the reasons I joined oblivion and I'm glad this set is following suit.