Author Topic: My New Computer  (Read 16282 times)

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
My New Computer
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 26 February 2010, 18:51:27 »
Well I have Microsoft Neptune running on one of my computers now, and I like it, but I don't think it is very practical for everyday use.  It actually worked with all the display and sound drivers out of the box, and it seems somewhat stable.  However, I realized that you cannot runany programs off of USB flash devices, it will say that they are invalid Win32 programs.  If this OS continues to work, I have no reason to get rid of it.  It even let me install my USB wireless N card that is suppose to require Win2k SP4 minimum to run, but it works!  Thanks to kishy for the info.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
My New Computer
« Reply #101 on: Fri, 26 February 2010, 18:54:16 »
Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement;161052
Well I have Microsoft Neptune running on one of my computers now, and I like it, but I don't think it is very practical for everyday use.  It actually worked with all the display and sound drivers out of the box, and it seems somewhat stable.  However, I realized that you cannot runany programs off of USB flash devices, it will say that they are invalid Win32 programs.  If this OS continues to work, I have no reason to get rid of it.  It even let me install my USB wireless N card that is suppose to require Win2k SP4 minimum to run, but it works!  Thanks to kishy for the info.

Plenty welcome. As you can see it was pretty much a mix of 2000 Pro at heart, a little NT4 left over still, with home user-friendly features being mixed in. Imagine if they'd finished it...it would have been one of the products we looked back on as being good, the same way most people view XP presently.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline TexasFlood

My New Computer
« Reply #102 on: Fri, 26 February 2010, 19:13:21 »
Quote from: ch_123;161029
We have 240V over here... The rack had an impressive Industrial blue plug which went into a power unit. It in turn fed kettle leads to all the racks. A single rack can be powered off a wall socket though.

There are a lot of different plug types.  I often have to ask a facilities guy or look it up in a cheat sheet.  In general I know receptacles above the raised floor but most often not under which is probably the variety your device has.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
My New Computer
« Reply #103 on: Fri, 26 February 2010, 19:35:23 »
A screenshot of Neptune:

tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
My New Computer
« Reply #104 on: Fri, 26 February 2010, 19:49:59 »
As I understand it they were looking at a slightly different GUI, similar to how XP's Luna was "different but the same". It's almost an untouched 2000 interface on the builds of Neptune that are out there.
kishy.ca

Offline TexasFlood

My New Computer
« Reply #105 on: Fri, 26 February 2010, 19:52:43 »
Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement;161057
A screenshot of Neptune:
Looks a lot like the 2000 or XP classic start menu.   see a Neptune Build 5111 ISO out there, is that what you loaded?

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
My New Computer
« Reply #106 on: Fri, 26 February 2010, 19:56:13 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;161064
Looks a lot like the 2000 or XP classic start menu.   see a Neptune Build 5111 ISO out there, is that what you loaded?

Build 5111 is the only one that can still be found so it's gotta be what he has. It was released to testers and nobody was allowed to distribute it, but hey, it's a MS product...

There were rumours of another build floating around, basically stolen from MS by in-house staff I think, and a long time ago I saw the torrent was listed on search engines but had no seeds. It's disappeared since then.

IIRC it was an earlier build, but I get this weird feeling it was in the 7-thousands. Don't recall exactly.
kishy.ca

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
My New Computer
« Reply #107 on: Fri, 26 February 2010, 19:58:57 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;161056
There are a lot of different plug types.  I often have to ask a facilities guy or look it up in a cheat sheet.  In general I know receptacles above the raised floor but most often not under which is probably the variety your device has.

One of these -

Bare in mind that this was for a cabinet of 8 racks, each with redundant 500W PSUs.

Given that I intend on setting up at most two, regular kettle leads will be sufficient.

Offline TexasFlood

My New Computer
« Reply #108 on: Fri, 26 February 2010, 20:02:20 »
Quote from: kishy;161067
Build 5111 is the only one that can still be found so it's gotta be what he has. It was released to testers and nobody was allowed to distribute it, but hey, it's a MS product...

I was once in a meeting with the Micro$oft dude who ran their web site, forget his name.  He was talking about pirated copies of XP and how they were tracking them.  He wasn't amused to find out I'd run XP like a year before release, no sense of humor.  Since it was released I have 3 legit licenses.  Didn't say I bought them, got them all free, but they're all legit.  Wonder if I can spin up Neptune under WMWare workstation 7?  Probably.  Dang I gotta get that new system built.

Offline TexasFlood

My New Computer
« Reply #109 on: Fri, 26 February 2010, 20:03:38 »
Quote from: ch_123;161068
One of these -

Show Image

Bare in mind that this was for a cabinet of 8 racks, each with redundant 500W PSUs.

Given that I intend on setting up at most two, regular kettle leads will be sufficient.

Just watch the amps, or you might blow a breaker/fuse.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
My New Computer
« Reply #110 on: Fri, 26 February 2010, 20:19:05 »
Well, at least I wont be running them in my house, or indeed anywhere were I have to pay for electricity!

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
My New Computer
« Reply #111 on: Sat, 27 February 2010, 13:52:16 »
Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement;160575
What is this Neptune? it sounds interesting, like a combination of Win2k and XP? that sounds like something for me.
Seeing your image, I was inspired to Google, and found it was a beta version of a predecessor of XP that Microsoft worked on back before they gave up and came out with Windows ME.

Remember, though, don't connect it to the Internet - unlike licensed versions of 2000 and XP, you can't get patches for the Sasser and Blaster worms for it, and it would be vulnerable to them, being based on Windows 2000.
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 February 2010, 13:55:05 by quadibloc »

Offline Specter_57

My New Computer
« Reply #112 on: Sat, 27 February 2010, 14:04:35 »
Those three-pronged blue power plugs...we used to run welding machines off of plugs like that....

Spec57

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
My New Computer
« Reply #113 on: Sat, 27 February 2010, 14:15:56 »
Quote from: quadibloc;161158
Seeing your image, I was inspired to Google, and found it was a beta version of a predecessor of XP that Microsoft worked on back before they gave up and came out with Windows ME.

Remember, though, don't connect it to the Internet - unlike licensed versions of 2000 and XP, you can't get patches for the Sasser and Blaster worms for it, and it would be vulnerable to them, being based on Windows 2000.

While that's solid advice that I'll second, it's probably worth noting that he isn't likely to USE a computer running Neptune...likely just tinkering with it. It's never a good idea to rely on pre-release software for day-to-day anythingness.
kishy.ca

Offline datamonger128

• Forever alone.
My New Computer
« Reply #114 on: Sat, 27 February 2010, 23:57:17 »
Quote from: kishy;161166
While that's solid advice that I'll second, it's probably worth noting that he isn't likely to USE a computer running Neptune...likely just tinkering with it. It's never a good idea to rely on pre-release software for day-to-day anythingness.

But yet on a regular basis, I'm sure some of us hear of people having problems with their computers running Windows 7.  How many of us have gotten "My computer keeps rebooting every two hours"?
Coffee is supposed to be bitter.  It symbolizes the bitterness of life.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
My New Computer
« Reply #115 on: Sun, 28 February 2010, 00:19:34 »
Quote from: datamonger128;161229
But yet on a regular basis, I'm sure some of us hear of people having problems with their computers running Windows 7.  How many of us have gotten "My computer keeps rebooting every two hours"?

First suspect for (anything) is malware and the like. Rule that out, then we actually look at what the symptom is.

First suspect for spontaneous reboots is hardware (or perhaps a poorly written driver, but signed drivers w/WHQL cert are supposed to be mandatory now).

RAM, HDD, PSU, mobo itself, RAID controller if present, in some cases video card...spontaneous reboot issues are a can of worms and best troubleshooted by replacing each part until the problem goes away.
kishy.ca

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
My New Computer
« Reply #116 on: Sun, 28 February 2010, 03:30:41 »
First suspect - you're running a beta/RC copy of Windows 7 that has expired.

Incidentally, progress goes well with the Itanium rack. I'm just having a bit of a hurdle finding a Linux that works with it properly.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 February 2010, 04:25:20 by ch_123 »

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
My New Computer
« Reply #117 on: Sun, 28 February 2010, 20:46:03 »
Lesson of the day - If you want to inflict gratuitous amounts of pain on yourself, get an Itanium rack with all sorts of proprietary chipsets, and try and install CentOS on it.

I really should stick to keyboards in future =P