Author Topic: [IC] GMK VIKINGS  (Read 9933 times)

Offline cocobrais

[IC] GMK VIKINGS
« on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 20:56:45 »
Hi.
I am cocobrais and come again here.
Burgundy GB will be finished and I have been preparing next GB.

Before some years, Ragnarok GB was progressed and I feel some inspiration. So long time I have been preparing.
I know, someone think that this set is similar with Forge set. But honestly I didn't copy it and I received the color rendering(CR/P3 combination) form GMK on May 04.
(You can easily check the date comparing with Forge)
If this set concept is problem, please let me know. I will drop the IC in Geekhack.  :(

Basic concept is VIKING.
So I considered the descendant countries. (Norway / Sweden / Denmark)

Maybe some novelty point keys will be added in vikings kit or separate kit. (Not fixed yet)

Are you interest this keycap set?

(1) Vikings Kit
      - CR + P3, Side legends V4
      - For Standard 3000 win/winkeyless, 1800 winkeyless/win-winkeyless, ISO, extra left shift for 660M, Some happy user, various array using no legends keys.

172786-0

(2) Descendant Kit
      - CR + P3, Side legends V4
      - For Norway / Sweden / Denmark.
      - And Ansi user can use this keys because of side legends (Side legends concept from Peacock)

172788-1

Enjoy!

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
Re: [IC] GMK VIKINGS
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 21:07:08 »
The black and red is super close to forge like you said, and all of the differences are tkl+ OR non ansi which I'd imagine would make it a tough sell in the states.

Now if all the keys had blue alt legends or something. Especially like old Norse or something. Then I'd be down.

I do love the way the triple shots look. Curious how expensive it would be tho. Especially since none of them would be used on a normal 60.

TBH though, the name doesn't really fit. Nordic sure, but nothing about the colors scream Viking to me. I do like the colors though, I'm just not sure how much luck you will have selling it. Especially after forge.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 21:07:51 »
How different is it to Forge? Legends seem a little more orange?

Honestly, there would be no point of both sets existing.

Personally, I'm not keen on the blue stuff, and I'm not sure how it relates to Vikings. Maybe you can change my mind regarding these.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 21:10:23 »

Forge is using CR/P3 as well.  Only difference in this set is icon mods and the blue side-printing.
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 21:13:56 »

Forge is using CR/P3 as well.  Only difference in this set is icon mods and the blue side-printing.

Oh... Absolutely no point in this set in its current form. Maybe a icon mod set (aka drop the alphas)? Still, not really needed but that's just my opinion.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 21:16:51 »
If anything you could piggyback forge.

Just do a set with all the triple shots / Nordic chars to extend forge.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 21:38:53 »
This set has the potential to get a better pricing than Forge; while, providing a subset that covers some of the North EU layouts that are ignored by most GMK GBs. Not having the accent keys may give this a more competitive pricing than Forge; in the same context, the icon mods reduce the key count even more, again, reducing the price. I understand that Viking refers to the inclusion of the Descendant kit that may cover some of the north EU layouts that are rarely a focus for GBs.

I encourage the OP to announce it at DT that have more EU fellows that may see the potential of your proposal. Personally I am an ANSI user that like to use an ISO Enter in a layout similar to the old XT one; so, if you include a R3 ~` key I may be interested in your proposal. Being CR the base color makes the set a candidate to mix and match with OG white on black for some interesting blends.

Forge is just another ANSI set serving the main stream, that it is not bad by any means, but yours is a more niche set, that may have its own challenges to reach MoQ, but I'd say give it a try.

I encourage the OP to consider the Yuri's Icon modifiers,  Mr. T0mb3ry has confirmed that those icons are available for any GMK upcoming set and it includes full coverage for all the modifiers in a full size keyboard. Being this a CR based set the inclusion of the full T0mb3ry's Icon set may attract people that like icons that may use them to mix and match with other OG and GMK sets.

Offline pon10

• looking at my keycaps..
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 04:02:26 »
This set has the potential to get a better pricing than Forge; while, providing a subset that covers some of the North EU layouts that are ignored by most GMK GBs. Not having the accent keys may give this a more competitive pricing than Forge; in the same context, the icon mods reduce the key count even more, again, reducing the price. I understand that Viking refers to the inclusion of the Descendant kit that may cover some of the north EU layouts that are rarely a focus for GBs.

Thanks for bringing this to attention!  :-*

I encourage the OP to consider the Yuri's Icon modifiers,  Mr. T0mb3ry has confirmed that those icons are available for any GMK upcoming set and it includes full coverage for all the modifiers in a full size keyboard. Being this a CR based set the inclusion of the full T0mb3ry's Icon set may attract people that like icons that may use them to mix and match with other OG and GMK sets.

This is way to go!

--

I am been chasing a color on black for a long time that's support and hit MOQ with a small Norde kit! i really, really enjoy the orange/red legends

I don't know how much sense the ANSI side legends on the Nordekit, but i do like the color contrast and during the day i accidentally hit the language shortcut in win 10 that's change my keyboard layout to ANSI, still haven't figured out whats the shortcut is, so this will let me continue and finish my current use, haha

++1 for this set.

Wish is just a single colored key ESC/ENTER key in the accent color. 

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 07:06:28 »

Oh... Absolutely no point in this set in its current form. Maybe a icon mod set (aka drop the alphas)? Still, not really needed but that's just my opinion.

Nordic support is a very good point for this set to exist, it's absolutely needed for the EU mech heads, but that's just my opinion
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline t8c

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 08:06:24 »
Thrilled to see Peacock inspiration! Every language wins !  :)

Offline aznreaper

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 21:32:04 »
I don't use ISO myself, and have no use of the decedents kit, but I sure like the look of the red on black, with blue sublegends

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 23:04:28 »

Nordic support is a very good point for this set to exist, it's absolutely needed for the EU mech heads, but that's just my opinion

That doesn't change the fact that to get a decent MOQ you need more than just people who want nordic support.

I SUSPECT that triple shot would increase the base MOQ to 250 like a custom color since it's non-standard. Probably cost more per key too, especially at lower moq.

The problem is, for example the norde kit of Nautilus is at ~60, and that's with people like me with 0 use for it buying sets. Based on what I understand, Forge will be coming before this, which means a great many people with the potential for interest in the base kit will likely already have purchased Forge, perhaps even some of the people who might consider nordic sets. This will drive down orders and thus keep pricing high (if it tips at all).

Perhaps consider something like flipping the alphas to blue on black. With that and yuri style icon mods, you would have something different enough that at least some people with forge would still likely bite. Plus if you really wanted to red on black look with the triple shots you could always still buy both sets.

I LIKE the idea, I just think it will have a hard time hitting moq after forge, at least not for like another year or something.

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 01:28:17 »
From my perspective, this colorway is too similar to GMK forge. This situation will split demand for this colorway and alike.
I find that there are some V4 sidefont. You could add more V4 elements to your modifiers or accent kit to differentiate this with forge.
Any way . good luck. 

Offline pon10

• looking at my keycaps..
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 03:21:18 »
Jep Nordic MOQ is hard to hit outside Massdrop.
The kit only gets brought to production because MD can fill up the MOQ. but since the LOW Sales on MD is because its in the states.
In EU they will depending on your country, have a customs fee plus TAX which in some cases add 40% to the buy.

I know and have heard so many complaints that adding more key to a full kit and why should people in the states pay for us.
sometimes the peeps in the states just forgets its Vice Versa. ( Let me know if you need ANSI enters number row keys and all the other ANSI standard keys i will send you some for free of charge )

Wodan`s  exemplary work on how to keep the cost minimum is the best possible solution.

Please have a FULL read here:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=85609.0

this is what is means for people in the states:

EDIT - UPDATE:
Got a response from GMK regarding the markup when adding the originally planned 35 keys to a common GMK base kit (100+ keycaps) and the estimate is 16,50€ at MOQ 150! That should be LESS THAN 20$  even with tax&customs&currency conversion!
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 November 2016, 00:59:38 by wodan »

« Last Edit: Mon, 10 July 2017, 03:24:46 by pon10 »

Offline Riu

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 03:47:55 »
I'm interested in Vikings.
Please run this group buy on geekhack.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 07:13:25 »

That doesn't change the fact that to get a decent MOQ you need more than just people who want nordic support.

I SUSPECT that triple shot would increase the base MOQ to 250 like a custom color since it's non-standard. Probably cost more per key too, especially at lower moq.

The problem is, for example the norde kit of Nautilus is at ~60, and that's with people like me with 0 use for it buying sets. Based on what I understand, Forge will be coming before this, which means a great many people with the potential for interest in the base kit will likely already have purchased Forge, perhaps even some of the people who might consider nordic sets. This will drive down orders and thus keep pricing high (if it tips at all).

Perhaps consider something like flipping the alphas to blue on black. With that and yuri style icon mods, you would have something different enough that at least some people with forge would still likely bite. Plus if you really wanted to red on black look with the triple shots you could always still buy both sets.

I LIKE the idea, I just think it will have a hard time hitting moq after forge, at least not for like another year or something.

Just for the record, in case someone has missed it, these keys are not triple-shot, the side printing is pad printed.

Offline ashwinv11

• give me foog
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 13:12:24 »
Looks too close to GMK Forge to me.. nice colors though!

Offline soilheart

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 13:38:33 »
While this set with the Nordic kit would be a dream for me (as a Swede using US layout when coding and Swedish layout otherwise, and who loves icon mods), I have to admit I see difficulties in it succeeding, both being so close to Forge, and getting the Nordic kit to sell...

If only people would find Swedish legends to be as cool as Korean/Cyrillic legends... ;)
(K70 -  Brown) --- Pok3r - Clear --- Ducky Shine4 - Clear --- WKL B.face X2 - 67g Zealios --- CP-SQ - 78g Zealios --- RS68 - 62g Zealios
(Sold/retired - To be built)

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
[IC] GMK VIKINGS
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 23:35:28 »
Ooops

Offline FSund

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 15 January 2018, 07:48:17 »
I love the look -- but as others have mentioned -- reaching MOQ might be an issue. GMK Fishbed is quoting a MOQ of 120 though, so perhaps there might be some hope after all: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=91190.msg2546531#msg2546531

I'm not sure what the correct way to run this GB will be though. In my case I would need both the Forge set and the Vikings set to be able to fill any of my boards (ISO masterrace!). But the issue is that Vikings would have to be run after Forge to be sure that Forge was successful. But then Vikings might not reach MOQ, and some of the Forge buyers end up with keysets that are of no use to them. I know I can just resell the set, but the high shipping costs and import taxes in Norway mean that I will probably only get around 50-60% of my money back.

Any ideas? Perhaps Vikings could be a child set of Forge, so orders can be combined (and cancelled if a child set doesn't reach MOQ)..?
Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 15 January 2018, 07:55:16 »
More
I love the look -- but as others have mentioned -- reaching MOQ might be an issue. GMK Fishbed is quoting a MOQ of 120 though, so perhaps there might be some hope after all: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=91190.msg2546531#msg2546531

I'm not sure what the correct way to run this GB will be though. In my case I would need both the Forge set and the Vikings set to be able to fill any of my boards (ISO masterrace!). But the issue is that Vikings would have to be run after Forge to be sure that Forge was successful. But then Vikings might not reach MOQ, and some of the Forge buyers end up with keysets that are of no use to them. I know I can just resell the set, but the high shipping costs and import taxes in Norway mean that I will probably only get around 50-60% of my money back.

Any ideas? Perhaps Vikings could be a child set of Forge, so orders can be combined (and cancelled if a child set doesn't reach MOQ)..?

You do realize this hasn't been posted in in 6 months? :confused:

Offline FSund

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 06:34:51 »
More

You do realize this hasn't been posted in in 6 months? :confused:

No...  :D I guess I just got too excited about the Forge + Vikings combination..!
Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 06:58:32 »
The child kit is an interesting proposal.

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 07:32:51 »
Love the sideprints.  Reminiscent of Peacock.
Like Icon mods - already own Demonic for OG mods albeit slightly different color

This seems to be appealing to broader audience than Forge.
Is Forge going to make MoQ as is?

Offline cocobrais

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 07:55:23 »
When I will be able to progress this set, I will come back.
Many people tell that this set is similar with Forge.
So I just wait some timing for this set.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 11:41:49 »
When I will be able to progress this set, I will come back.
Many people tell that this set is similar with Forge.
So I just wait some timing for this set.

Congratulations, Sir Coco: You have just too many nice sets on offer for my poor wallet to join all of them. But please keep offering innovative ideas to the community. Outstanding.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 12:44:16 »
https://originative.co/products/demonic

i like the idea but it's definitely not the time for it
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 14:34:08 »

Your posts are most of the time constructive; but this time, it appears you went a bit far posting a link to a competitive offering. I think posting it is near to violating the following rule for GBs that also applies to ICs.

2) Threadcrapping: If you aren't interested in joining a group buy, STAY OUT OF THE GROUP BUY THREAD. This goes doubly so if you disagree with the way the buy is being run, the product being purchased, or have any other complaint not relevant to buying into the group buy. Repeat offenders put themselves in danger of moderator action.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 15:44:51 »
How about "Menu" and "Code" instead of the Menu + Windows icon keys?

Also, this is pretty similar to other sets, but I really like the blue sub/side legends.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 20:49:55 »

Your posts are most of the time constructive; but this time, it appears you went a bit far posting a link to a competitive offering. I think posting it is near to violating the following rule for GBs that also applies to ICs.

2) Threadcrapping: If you aren't interested in joining a group buy, STAY OUT OF THE GROUP BUY THREAD. This goes doubly so if you disagree with the way the buy is being run, the product being purchased, or have any other complaint not relevant to buying into the group buy. Repeat offenders put themselves in danger of moderator action.

seems i missed the mark with that one then

figured brais would like to be aware of a similar set
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 22:12:36 »

TBH, I feel like the real issue isn't that they are similar, it's that for someone like me who only uses 65% and smaller, it IS Forge, just with no novelties. I already have demonic, so even forge is a tough sell, but at least it has some novelties to gimme SOME incentive.

The problem with this set is for a great many people you are paying more for keys you don't have any want/need of.

I do want more CR sets though, I think this could just use some tweaks to make it more unique.  Like if the full set had a second set of dye sub legends like royal alpha, that I would be all over. But as it stands it just doesn't have anything compelling to anyone who doesn't use TKL and larger boards. I don't feel like pointing that out is thread crapping.

Just because I don't wanna buy it in it's current iteration, doesn't mean I'm not interested in what it could be.

Offline pheneto

• LOVE TKL, CP
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 22:36:13 »
very darkness... i want two-tone color variation.
TX84SE, TX84, TX1800V2, TXCP, LZ-IRON, UNICORN LEGEND, LIGHTSAVER3

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 22:47:04 »

TBH, I feel like the real issue isn't that they are similar, it's that for someone like me who only uses 65% and smaller, it IS Forge, just with no novelties. I already have demonic, so even forge is a tough sell, but at least it has some novelties to gimme SOME incentive.

The problem with this set is for a great many people you are paying more for keys you don't have any want/need of.

I do want more CR sets though, I think this could just use some tweaks to make it more unique.  Like if the full set had a second set of dye sub legends like royal alpha, that I would be all over. But as it stands it just doesn't have anything compelling to anyone who doesn't use TKL and larger boards. I don't feel like pointing that out is thread crapping.

Just because I don't wanna buy it in it's current iteration, doesn't mean I'm not interested in what it could be.

But, no ABS key set could be dyed.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 23:29:35 »

Printed or w/e. TA Royal Alpha or Grisean somehow have double shot and non double shot legends. I don’t know which technique is used to produce it nor do I care.

My point was that it would appeal to me more if all the keys had blue sublegends of some sort.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 23:32:54 »

Printed or w/e. TA Royal Alpha or Grisean somehow have double shot and non double shot legends. I don’t know which technique is used to produce it nor do I care.

My point was that it would appeal to me more if all the keys had blue sublegends of some sort.

GMK made sets with such secondary legends are pad printed; while they are very good, they tend to fade with use, unless you want them for display only. That is why most KB aficionados do care about the type of legends.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 01:10:15 »

GMK made sets with such secondary legends are pad printed; while they are very good, they tend to fade with use, unless you want them for display only. That is why most KB aficionados do care about the type of legends.

That’s kind of a **** way to put it. I think you misunderstand me when I say I don’t care.

If it’s the only option it’s the only option, if GMK did dye subs, sure I’d take that, if they did triple shot, I’d buy that too, but they don’t, so I don’t care what technique they use, cause it doesn’t help me. If there was already a gaijin style euro double shot mold set, I’d be down for that even, just all red legends, but as far as I’m aware no such legends exist so it would be stupid expensive, and thus I suggested a set like royal alpha. And I would buy it for the same reason I got blue on black AND royal alpha, cause I like the colors and I like the loud look, EVEN IF IT WILL FADE. They could also side print them all.

My real point is just that some of us “kb aficionados” like variety in our sets. I already own a GMK set with red letters on black keys, I might even get a second one with forge. I have no need of a third set that would be identical on every single keyboard I own.

I don’t think it’s thread ****ting to discuss what you like and don’t like about a set. Especially when you pretty consistently put your money where your mouth is.

Offline CandyKeys

• Just doing EU things.
    • CandyKeys EU MK Store
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 07:37:22 »
This looks awesome.

Glad to support it!
The CandyKeys Mechanical Keyboard Store

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 09:35:13 »
So only the side legends are pad printed? The legends on top are all doubleshot?
There is no such thing as "too much orange."

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 12:02:34 »
So only the side legends are pad printed? The legends on top are all doubleshot?

Yes. GMK sets have double shot legends; but, those side printed and top secondary ones, when they are made in a different color than the main ones.