Author Topic: Can't turn off RS96 RGB  (Read 1908 times)

Offline asgeirtj

Can't turn off RS96 RGB
« on: Wed, 10 January 2018, 16:06:21 »
Got my second RS96 III and it's stuck with the green RGB on. The remote doesnt work and I have tried programming  it with http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com and https://tkg.io/ and turning fn buttons to built in function - RGB off as per this guide:
https://www.massdrop.com/talk/732/programming-the-red-scarf-keyboards but nothing works. I'm pretty sure I'm doing everything correctly since I can easily program RGB control into my old RS96 III. I've tried reflashing the hex also but it didn't change anything. Any ideas?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
Re: Can't turn off RS96 RGB
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 January 2018, 18:51:48 »
I'm curious - can you 'change' the RGB at all or is it stuck at that level and on green? Everything else on the board works right?
It does sound like a flash issue. I would hope its not the RGB controller itself. Have you tried getting someones copy of their *.hex or whatever they're using for this board and flash it to yours to see if theres a difference?
-Dana

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 11 January 2018, 03:35:46 »
I'm curious - can you 'change' the RGB at all or is it stuck at that level and on green? Everything else on the board works right?
It does sound like a flash issue. I would hope its not the RGB controller itself. Have you tried getting someones copy of their *.hex or whatever they're using for this board and flash it to yours to see if theres a difference?

I can't change the RGB at all. And yes everything else works correctly. There is one weird thing that happened before that might be related: For the first time I used to get a little bit electrocuted by it a few times and I think each time the RGB went to ballistics mode (toggling between all colors really fast) and I had to unplug and plug it to make it go back to still green RGB. One time when I got electrocuted the keyboard input 4 characters or something like that for each keypress. Restarting the keyboard fixed it also. Do you think that this is maybe related?

Offline Carcharocles

• Location: In the lonely, desolate wasteland of South Kansas City
    • The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 11 January 2018, 03:38:51 »
If you're being electrocuted by the keyboard, something is very wrong with it. This is a safety issue. RMA that thing ASAP.
T1000 , Firmware ver. Doge.

Most deadly of them all.
Keyboards: Drevo Gramr (Outemu Browns); Logitech K480

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 05:14:59 »
It has stopped electrocuting me, it was only at first. I think I'm just going to desolder the rgb's, I can do that right?

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 06:51:00 »

I can't change the RGB at all. And yes everything else works correctly. There is one weird thing that happened before that might be related: For the first time I used to get a little bit electrocuted by it a few times and I think each time the RGB went to ballistics mode (toggling between all colors really fast) and I had to unplug and plug it to make it go back to still green RGB. One time when I got electrocuted the keyboard input 4 characters or something like that for each keypress. Restarting the keyboard fixed it also. Do you think that this is maybe related?

It sounds like there's a short somewhere from the PCB to the case. If you open it up, can you see any solder points that are touching the case, or even very close to touching the case (if there's any flex in the pcb, it could be coming in contact with it at random too)?

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 07:41:38 »
I opened the case and don't seem to see any solder points touching the case. I still have the RGB problem. Is it maybe a controller problem? I don't care about the RGB's at all and just want to get rid of them: is it just best for me to desolder them or desolder some part of the controller?

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 11:56:15 »
OK So I've tried troubleshooting the problem a little bit more:

I seem to be able to to control the RGB's to an extent but it is really random. Almost all the the RGB controls seem to only toggle the color. There seems to be only two colors I can use which are green and purple.

The RGB off button doesn't do anything except turn to green color if it it's in purple. Also, it's not possible to increase or decrease the RGB.

Attached is a picture of the controller. Doesn't seem to have any "desoldered" pins. Everything else with the keyboard works 100% like it's supposed to.

I've tried reflashing the HEX with TMK Keymap Generator but it didn't change anything. I'm doing everything the same way as I do it on my other RS96, where I can control the RGB's 100%. I have even tried putting the exact same hex file that I have on the other RS96.