Author Topic: questions about Ergodox-EZ  (Read 3008 times)

Offline glax

questions about Ergodox-EZ
« on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 11:31:00 »
Hi there,
I have recently bought an Ergodox-EZ and require some advice and help, in particular with key mapping.
Does anyone know whether there is an Ergodox-EZ user forum or does anyone know where to put those questions or where to find discussions on that issue?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: questions about Ergodox-EZ
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 07:02:56 »
Looks like it uses QMK firmware?  Lots of boards use that so post your questions and someone should be able to help :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline glax

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 04:38:19 »
Looks like it uses QMK firmware?  Lots of boards use that so post your questions and someone should be able to help :)

For a German Layout, I need to assing the Key "<". That is key code 226. Ergodox EZ's cofig tool, however, (https://configure.ergodox-ez.com) only allows assignment of US-Keys. I don't know the korresponding US-key (I dont mean the US- "<" key, I mean the US-key having a key code corresponding to 226). I even doubt there is one.

In other example configs that can be found there, there are German examples that seem to define custom keys, like "German €", but I don't know how to define them or how to transfer them into my config.

So how can I directly assing a key code or how can I define custom keys? Or is there a more in-debth description of EdEZ's config tool?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 05:05:50 »
Ah, the ISO problem - I'm familiar with this one!

Keyboards don't actually send letters to the computer, they send scancodes.  The operating system then converts those codes to letters/symbols depending which layout you told it your keyboard is.

Unfortunately all firmwares are American so the scancodes have been given US ANSI names which you kind of ignore - you'll want to leave Z on the bottom row, for example.

When it comes to the two ISO keys they use the UK label so next to left shift is NUBS (non-US backslash) and next to enter is NUHS (non-US Hash) - these are near the bottom of the drop down in the punctuation section on that configuration site.

I've just switched my layout to German and ALT GR + E gets you a € so if you're trying to have a single key output € I'd suggest setting it to E and 'Add modifiers' Right Alt.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline glax

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 05:42:31 »
Thank you for your quick response. However, my issue is not the symbol "€" (I can define that by modifiers), my issue is key [>] (base key, no shift or modifier function, located normally directly right of [l-shift] and left of [y] in german layout). On German keyboards, it issues the scan code "226". In ED-Ez config, it seems that one can only select us-layout letters and the config tool then assigns the corresponding scan code to the keys. There seems to be no corresponding us-layout letter that assigns the scan code "226".

Any suggestions?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 12:48:57 »
As I said - the key next to left shift is called 'non-US \', it's near the bottom of the drop down in the punctuation section on the configuration site.  The key next to enter is called 'non-US #' :)  (Sorry I used the names, this probably didn't help!)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 13:03:58 »
Hi,

Re-read 'orange's instructions while looking at this...

It is available.
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline glax

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 06:42:33 »
Hi, thnx for the help.

Yes, the answer was provided right there by you. I may have had a hopefully temporary text blindness ;-)