Author Topic: [IC] Lumina - Corian 60% by Greenwald Designs (GB NOW OPEN)  (Read 29690 times)

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

[IC] Lumina - Corian 60% by Greenwald Designs (GB NOW OPEN)
« on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 19:43:33 »

Introduction

Hello Geekhack! Greenwald Designs here, happy to debut my first upcoming project, Lumina. What is Lumina? It's a 60% Corian case designed specifically to work within the limitations of the material, but still have a classy clean look. Expect the optional PCB to come with lots of cool features, detailed below.. but first I'd like to provide a few photos of two working prototypes that were on display at the Columbus meetup earlier this month.

About Corian
Corian is a material commonly used to make counter-tops in kitchens. The material is non-porous, and can be polished to a gloss, just like marble. Corian is also very durable, allowing it to take normal wear and tear that other traditional keyboard materials can't. There are all sorts of color options available, however this initial IC will be for the top 3 (chosen by you) colors. For more information on Corian, check out DuPont's website http://www.corian.com.

Lumina

• Sandwich (gapless) style case (Corian with center plate, poly-carbonate diffuser)
  • Corian feet (5% angle)
  • Compatible with standard 60% PCBs
  • Simply screw assembly
  • Case and plate made in the U.S.A.

Plate

The plate features:
  • Option of either Brass or Aluminum
  • Cherry switches only (sorrys Alps)
  • Standard 60% layout
  • Waterjet Cut, will be MUCH cleaner than the prototypes

Waldo (optional PCB)

The optional Waldo PCB (made by Canada's Maple Computing) includes the following features:
  • RGB Underglow
  • QMK Compatible
  • In-Switch LED Support
  • Type C USB
  • Split Space/Backspace Support

Technical Specifications

Case measurements are as follows:
Length 12.65in
Width 5.15in
Height 1in (without feet) / 1.5in (with feet on the back)
Weight 2.1lbs (with brass plate) / 2.5lbs (with steel plate)

What's included (glamour shots https://imgur.com/a/CWuqU)

The Lumina consists of the following:
  • 2 CNC Corian pieces (top and bottom)
  • Switch plate (Brass, Steel or Aluminum)
  • Polycarbonate Bottom Diffuser
  • Corian Screw in Feet for 5 Degree Angle
  • Optional Waldo 60% PCB
  • Parts needed for assembly (screws)

Pricing & Timline & Quantity

As it stands currently I expect the Lumina case to cost around $300 to $380 USD depending on user selections. As we get closer to the GB start I should have a more definitive price available. I expect to run this GB for around 2 weeks, once the IC has been completed. One final note, there is no hard limit on how many cases can be ordered, the more cases the lower the price will be.

Feedback

Give me some feedback! Please go take our poll https://goo.gl/forms/ObS9gff9gyY2Cw5h1 to select different options as well as option to sign up for our mailing list. Post any comments or questions below, myself or TheEerieCold should be able to provide you with answers to any questions you might have. You can also pop into our Discord with any questions https://discord.gg/3yudGGp.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 August 2018, 12:00:35 by GreenwaldDesigns »

Offline TheEerieCold

Re: [IC] Lumina - Corian 60% by Greenwald Designs
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 19:50:37 »
Exciting! Looking forward to answering any questions, ask away!
Matrix Abel+ Ver.Dark / Matrix 8XV2.0 (Red) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Blue) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Caustic Custom) / Matrix Noah / Matrix Abel X RX-178 Ver.CA / Matrix 8XV2.0 ADD (Silver) / Matrix Falcon (Nebula) / Matrix Vita (McFlurry) / Matrix ME SE (McFlurry)

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 19:50:54 »
This is interesting. Would the hhkb option be blockers or part of the top piece?

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 19:51:58 »
I checked this thing out in person at the Columbus meet, it's awesome! The bead-blasted matte finish is really nice.

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 19:55:22 »
HHKB will be a top piece option, so it will not be a blocker like the 5 degree case, but part of the top piece itself.

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 19:59:33 »
HHKB will be a top piece option, so it will not be a blocker like the 5 degree case, but part of the top piece itself.
Awesome! All the colors are nice, particularly like white and cosmos

Offline Atredl

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 20:00:22 »
Im not sure what the difference between blocked and true HHKB is. Will True HHKB require a 6u spacebar?

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 20:06:48 »
Awesome! All the colors are nice, particularly like white and cosmos

Thank you!

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 20:07:40 »
Im not sure what the difference between blocked and true HHKB is. Will True HHKB require a 6u spacebar?

The True HHKB would be a 6u spacebar, and I would have to make adjustments to the PCB itself as well.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 March 2018, 20:11:22 by GreenwaldDesigns »

Offline Atredl

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 20:18:11 »

The True HHKB would be a 68 spacebar, and I would have to make adjustments to the PCB itself as well.
Had you considered using a 1-1.5-6.25-1.5-1 bottom row for True HHKB instead of a 6u spacebar? It’d be much easier to find keysets and stabs that fit, plus it’s pretty close to the traditional HHKB layout. It would require buying your PCB but since that’s being offered that isn’t much of a problem.

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 20:18:59 »
What are the color options going to look like? I suppose going the Henry Ford approach would be cheapest and just go for black :p
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 20:21:00 »
What are the color options going to look like? I suppose going the Henry Ford approach would be cheapest and just go for black :p

Color options will be voted on, and you can see in the poll, there are 7 different current colors to vote on. Let me know what you think of those options in the feedback!

I plan to offer 3 colors which will be the 3 most popular voted colors from the poll.

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 20:34:37 »
Interested! Poll done!

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 20:36:58 »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 20:40:44 »
Is there a reason it has a flat bottom with feet as opposed to a wedge shape? Is that a design choice or is it a limitation of the material.

Will there be an HHKB version?

Aside from that, always nice to see new materials. It's a pretty attractive piece of kit.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 20:43:04 »
Is there a reason it has a flat bottom with feet as opposed to a wedge shape? Is that a design choice or is it a limitation of the material.

Will there be an HHKB version?

Aside from that, always nice to see new materials. It's a pretty attractive piece of kit.

It was mainly the limitations of the material. The thickest you can get Corian(as far as I have found) so I had to work within those parameters, and also not get the case itself too thin so as to break. The material is very strong, but I am not gonna take any chances here :)

As for the HHKB layout, that will be determined by the poll and its voters!

Thank you!

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 20:43:47 »
Looks beautiful and the idea is great, all for new materials and people experimenting with stuff - price is steep if it's close to 400 but at closer to the lower estimate I'm definitely picking up a white HHKB version.

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 20:46:36 »

Color options will be voted on, and you can see in the poll, there are 7 different current colors to vote on. Let me know what you think of those options in the feedback!

I plan to offer 3 colors which will be the 3 most popular voted colors from the poll.

Must have missed it! Here's to hoping people really like blue.
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 20:47:10 »
Looks beautiful and the idea is great, all for new materials and people experimenting with stuff - price is steep if it's close to 400 but at closer to the lower estimate I'm definitely picking up a white HHKB version.

Thank you!

Assuming all the setup with manufacturing, and the numbers get high enough, the price will be closer to the $300 mark. The more sell, the cheaper I can offer them for though, as is the way with groupbuys!

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 20:47:52 »

True HHKB is just in case people want the actual 6u spacebar layout. Most likely, the Blocked layout will be the option people will go for.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 20:52:42 »

True HHKB is just in case people want the actual 6u spacebar layout. Most likely, the Blocked layout will be the option people will go for.
Fair enough.

Regardless of if its offered in 7u or 6u HHKB layout, I'm definitely in! I've wanting a corian 60% case ever since Norbauer first mentioned it as a possible case material.

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 20:56:46 »

Fair enough.

Regardless of if its offered in 7u or 6u HHKB layout, I'm definitely in! I've wanting a corian 60% case ever since Norbauer first mentioned it as a possible case material.

Awesome! I remember seeing the thread after I had been working on the Corian idea for a while. I had to redesign the case after I found that thread to account for the limitations of the material. Turned out pretty okay I think :)

Offline LeoShi

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 20:58:59 »
Very interested in this case. Using a new material attracts me a lot. :)

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 21:04:30 »
Very interested in this case. Using a new material attracts me a lot. :)

Thank you!

Offline Atredl

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 21:14:53 »
Is Elderberry a dark blue color? I really like it even though I put white when answering the poll. I might even like that more than the white  :-\

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 21:18:20 »
Thank you!

Assuming all the setup with manufacturing, and the numbers get high enough, the price will be closer to the $300 mark. The more sell, the cheaper I can offer them for though, as is the way with groupbuys!

Absolutely. Extremely cool regardless of price, the finishes are wonderful and I actually like all of the colours you've put forward - I'm loyal to white but Elderberry and Limestone are incredible and I'd love to have a shot at those in a later run.

Looking forward to further developments, although please do take your time because in my opinion with the CA66, Tokyo60, Chiwi, M60, M0110 etc the HHKB market needs a bit of a breather! Of course I don't expect anyone to put their own projects on hold because of potential saturation but you know, I figure it's still relevant enough to bring up.

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 21:21:48 »
Thank you!

Absolutely. Extremely cool regardless of price, the finishes are wonderful and I actually like all of the colours you've put forward - I'm loyal to white but Elderberry and Limestone are incredible and I'd love to have a shot at those in a later run.

Looking forward to further developments, although please do take your time because in my opinion with the CA66, Tokyo60, Chiwi, M60, M0110 etc the HHKB market needs a bit of a breather! Of course I don't expect anyone to put their own projects on hold because of potential saturation but you know, I figure it's still relevant enough to bring up.

Yeah! Of course! The HHKB layout will be an option, not the only option, along with the other option, which was Winkeyless. If enough people show interest, I will include multiple top piece options for people to choose from!

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 21:27:15 »
Yeah! Of course! The HHKB layout will be an option, not the only option, along with the other option, which was Winkeyless. If enough people show interest, I will include multiple top piece options for people to choose from!

Sure, I just figure they sorta all fit in with the same crowd you know what I mean. Being able to offer regular 60, HHKB (blocked) AND WKL is a huge asset; even if you need to choose between the latter two, still very nice.

Can't get over how nice the white looks with the brass in your prototype. Honestly.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 21:29:10 »
I'm interested in seeing a beadblasted white version.

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 21:30:46 »

Sure, I just figure they sorta all fit in with the same crowd you know what I mean. Being able to offer regular 60, HHKB (blocked) AND WKL is a huge asset; even if you need to choose between the latter two, still very nice.

Can't get over how nice the white looks with the brass in your prototype. Honestly.

Yep, I wanted to appeal to a lot of people with this project :)

Also, as for the white and brass, that camping one is my personal one. I love it so much :D

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 21:31:59 »
I'm interested in seeing a beadblasted white version.

That will most likely end up being an option!

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 21:35:37 »
The material should allow for a lot of unique and cool color choices. This initial design doesn't really grab my attention and the price is a bit steep. However, I'm sure you'll get this off the ground with this design and others will follow... I'll keep my eye out.

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 21:36:55 »
The material should allow for a lot of unique and cool color choices. This initial design doesn't really grab my attention and the price is a bit steep. However, I'm sure you'll get this off the ground with this design and others will follow... I'll keep my eye out.

Absolutely! I have a lot of stuff up my sleeve, and this project will (hopefully) allow me to get to those other juicy projects I have planned. :D

Offline mago

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 21:37:58 »
wow this looks stunning, count me in!

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 21:42:16 »
wow this looks stunning, count me in!

Sweet! Welcome aboard!

Offline Etherealsound

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 00:06:17 »
Definitely would be very interested in joining this gb. I'd really like to see some photos of the HHKB!

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 00:11:17 »
Definitely would be very interested in joining this gb. I'd really like to see some photos of the HHKB!

I will get some of those done as soon as I can!

Offline MrTq

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 03:45:30 »
Outstanding material!
Vote for hhkb layout with 7u spacebar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Xantus

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 04:28:29 »
submitted for HHKB!

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 06:15:15 »
Unique material = a buy from me!

I'd REALLY like an alps plate option, though. I'd totally buy it as an extra on top of the standard plate.

Since it's waterjet, shouldn't it just be as easy as a layout change?

I have an alps board with a "boring" walnut case that'd LOVE a makeover ;)

Offline HOBI3CAT

• FraktalKaps.com
    • Fraktal Kaps Website
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 06:37:57 »
HYPETRAIN!!!!

This looks so amazing, I can't even put into words how much I want one! I'm thinking elderberry with brass plate would be the hot ticket.
Eat, Sleep, Resin, Repeat.

Offline aspenc4

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 07:15:40 »
Evening Prima + steel plate + Calm Depths = work of art

I’m definitely sold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline cgrums

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 11:04:54 »
I'm in. It's refreshing to see innovation in this space!

Offline lac29

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 11:06:59 »
Damnit I would have wanted to try it out at the Cbus meet. This looks like really cool project though!

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 11:08:12 »
I'm in. It's refreshing to see innovation in this space!

Awesome! Thank you!

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 11:09:06 »
Damnit I would have wanted to try it out at the Cbus meet. This looks like really cool project though!

Were you at the Columbus meetup? I had them there!

If not, that's okay. The GB will not take super long, so if you end up getting one, the wait won't be long at all :)

Offline lac29

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 11:10:58 »
I decided to skip out on the Cbus meet at the last moment ... because I was up all night building a kb hah.

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 11:13:33 »
I decided to skip out on the Cbus meet at the last moment ... because I was up all night building a kb hah.

Awww. That's a shame. :/ What state are you in?

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 12:05:57 »
Evening Prima + steel plate + Calm Depths = work of art

I’m definitely sold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Better get voting! Cameo White, Cosmos Prima, and Elderberry are in the top 3 right now!

Offline Atredl

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 12:10:18 »
Better get voting! Cameo White, Cosmos Prima, and Elderberry are in the top 3 right now!
Im going to be sooooo happy if Elderberry makes it! :D