Author Topic: Anyone see any major flaws in this universal 60% plate design?  (Read 1803 times)

Offline Arrythmia

• CouchSurfer Designer+Custom Wood Cases
    • Keyboard Cottage
The YD60BLE PCB has so many layout options, and there are so few plates on the market that can handle every possible combination. The only thing I've found on the market that covers most of them is Sentraq's 60% design.

I recently found a resource for a universal plate that I modified for a project I'm working on, but I'm wondering if anyone here sees any major flaws or things I should change that I'm not noticing. I also would like help in getting the M4 (4mm) screw mounting holes countersunk appropriately for an 8mm head.

191791-0

(Thanks, homerow-co for the original files!) https://github.com/homerowco/60-mx-alps-universal-switch-plate

« Last Edit: Sat, 17 March 2018, 01:22:38 by Arrythmia »
The CouchSurfer - wireless 60% lapdesk for gaming and HTPC's

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Anyone see any major flaws in this universal 60% plate design?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 03:05:11 »
The only thing I can see that plate doesn't do that's somewhat common these days is split space bars, if you want to cover everything?

If you're really keen the split enter where there's room for ANSI \| and a 1.25 key and 1u below it, which I've only ever seen on the GH60...

Depends if you're willing to sell the plate and tray without a PCB :)

Also those look like plate mount stab holes, I think with a universal plate you need PCB mount so they stay put.  They may already be, I'm not an expert.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Arrythmia

• CouchSurfer Designer+Custom Wood Cases
    • Keyboard Cottage
Re: Anyone see any major flaws in this universal 60% plate design?
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 03:24:43 »
The only thing I can see that plate doesn't do that's somewhat common these days is split space bars, if you want to cover everything?

If you're really keen the split enter where there's room for ANSI \| and a 1.25 key and 1u below it, which I've only ever seen on the GH60...

Depends if you're willing to sell the plate and tray without a PCB :)

Also those look like plate mount stab holes, I think with a universal plate you need PCB mount so they stay put.  They may already be, I'm not an expert.

Hey, it's suicidal_orange again! I was hoping that it covered the split space bar just as a precaution, but this is actually the plate design I settled on for that CouchSurfer wireless lapdesk project I posted a little while ago. I've reached out to a couple manufacturers to get quotes on smaller volume orders, so I hope I can find someone to make them for decent cost.

As far as the PCB mount stabs, I think plate mount cutouts work for both. I think? But it's at least good to know that I got everything else covered but split spacebars.
The CouchSurfer - wireless 60% lapdesk for gaming and HTPC's