Author Topic: [IC] Alps Throwback - 60% DCS Alps keycap set for Modern M0110 + other layouts  (Read 29311 times)

Offline chicagoboss25

• deskcandy.xyz | reddit.com/u/heroyjenkins
    • Desk Candy
Update 6/24/18: GB is a go! Launching 6/29 on Desk Candy

194658-0

Render by /u/janglad:

198637-1

Note: colors depicted here and legends are not final but this render is to give you an idea, we had technical difficulties creating new renders so enjoy this for now :)

Hey folks, if you love Alps but also love brand new dye-sub PBT keycaps, then this is the keycap set for you. I'm happy to announce the "Alps Throwback" keycap set which takes design influence from vintage Apple M0110 and IBM "Industrial" Model M in a vintage-inspired gray+beige with blue accents colorway.

NOTE: we are planning to make the beige color for alphanumeric keys a bit darker as we discovered that it matches the light sand / beige of Modern M0110 much better (closer to the color of alphas in GMK Carbon).

FEATURES

• Supports Modern M0110, Infinity, AEK, standard ANSI/ISO 60% layouts
  • Signature plastics DCS profile in PBT dye-subbed
  • All text mods (NO ICONS) and align mods text in upper left. I think SP's default Gorton font for DCS fits really well here but could potentially use original Cherry font depending on feedback
  • Cherry MX-style stabilizer inserts. Some of you might be thinking :eek: but I am also working on a new MX+Alps 60% PCB that will hopefully run concurrently with Modern M0110 and this keycap set so you will be able to use PCB-mount Cherry/GMK/Zeal stabs with Alps keycaps. Those of you hardcore Alps hackers have figured out workarounds for sets like Alpine Winter and I'm happy to share my own notes and tips about how to adapt these caps for Alps stabs if anyone wants :)

PRICING

Latest pricing (as of 6/5/2018):

Base kit (MOQ 50):
  • $165 @ 50 units
  • $150 @ 75 units
  • $140 @ 100 units
  • $135 @ 150 units
  • $130 @ 200 units

Nav/65% (MOQ 25):
  • $50 @ 25 units
  • $45 @ 50 units

Ortholinear (MOQ 25):
  • $35 @ 25 units
  • $30 @ 50 units

Split spacebars (MOQ 25):
  • $25 @ 25 units
  • $20 @ 50 units

Arrows (MOQ 25): $15 (no drop points)

TIMING

Modern M0110 is going to open for the group buy on 6/29 so if feedback here continues to be positive we plan to open this group buy around then and will proceed as long as we hit MOQ.

KEYBOARDS

Compatibility is the bane of modern Alps / Alps-clone builds so I tried to make these layout options fit as many readily available DIY Alps builds as possible. Take these with a bit of a grain of salt as some of these combos might require Alps stabilizer hacking (since Alps Throwback will have Cherry stab inserts but you can usually always make a filed-down costar insert work with any kind of stabilizer from the plate side).

• Modern M0110: Base :cool:
  • Alps64 with AEK or Infinity Layout: Base
  • KBParadise V60: Base
  • Tenkeyless / 87-key (like KBParadise V80): Base + Nav/65% + Arrows
  • Ortholinear like Planck, Preonic, or one of the "split" designs like Let's Split or Nyquist: Base + Ortholinear + Arrows

ABOUT THE PROFILE

This keycap set is going to be produced in a PBT dye-subbed version of Signature Plastics DCS profile, which is similar to Cherry profile though keycaps are thinner. This is the same profile as Alpine Winter but a different material and the keycap itself is only one shot instead of two, which should solve the issue of keycap stems breaking off that folks saw with Alpine Winter.

Here's a video by Fluffypupper22 on comparing the profile to some other Alps caps:

COLOR CHIPS

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 June 2018, 12:55:30 by chicagoboss25 »

Offline GeneriksGiraffe

• Living the Rubber Life
I'm in. I hope we hit MOQ tho :/

If that price was a little lower I would have signed up in 0.5 heartbeats rather than a heartbeat
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 March 2018, 20:50:36 by GeneriksGiraffe »
SOMEONE PLEASE SELL/TRADE ME AN HHKB PRO 1

Offline chicagoboss25

• Desk Candy
Yeah me too :( if only we could travel back in time and get same pricing as Alpine Winter lol

Maybe 65%, split spacebar, and ortho kits could push this to a broader appeal and help us hit 100 MOQ :thumb:

Offline Radlife

I'm super interested but I would love a full keyset even more since there has been a lot of bigger-than-60% keyboards that have alps support recently!

Offline satricion

I love the idea but to me this is inferior to already existing AEK caps in both material, layout and profile, not to mention that the aesthetic is very similar. There is no reason to go with these caps over AEK caps unless you want the cherry style stabilisers or you don't like the AEK profile, especially since it's restricted to 60%.

I realise that profile and material are restricted by what SP has available but why not at least give it 65% compatibility? Or TKL? Better compatibility would be a reason to go with this over a straight aek layout.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 March 2018, 22:58:34 by satricion »

Offline chicagoboss25

• Desk Candy
I love the idea but to me this is inferior to already existing AEK caps in both material, layout and profile, not to mention that the aesthetic is very similar. There is no reason to go with these caps over AEK caps unless you want the cherry style stabilisers or you don't like the AEK profile, especially since it's restricted to 60%.

I realise that profile and material are restricted by what SP has available but why not at least give it 65% compatibility? Or TKL? Better compatibility would be a reason to go with this over a straight aek layout.

AEK keycaps don't have support for the HHKB style layout that is the default of the Modern M0110, so that is one major motivating reason for this keycap set, bottom row modifiers wouldn't fit :/

I would definitely be open to adding kits for 65% and/or TKL, it will for sure increase the price, by how much I'm not sure but I'll look into it  :thumb:

Offline kennardsmith

I am definitely in if this goes!
[Control] is just left side of [A]. It comes from Sun Type3 key layout.

Offline rubycrow

Super interested but wouldn't dye sub PBT will be better? Even Tai-Hao doubleshot to bring the price down?

Offline hansichen

Cherry font and icon mods please  ;D

Offline schmoktopus

Wouldn't it be better to run this GB prior to the M0110? I definitely can't see myself spending 400(?) dollars on keyboard parts at a time.

Offline vewy_nice

You know I'm in. NO BRAKES ON THE ALPS TRAIN!

Offline braidn

I have a HHKB ish/infinity that these would pair nicely with. Would totally be down for a set. Although I am not a fan of DCS, I realize this is one of the few choices we have

Offline midnight2903

Interested but I don't even have an Alps board lol. Alps are impossible to find here, need to r/mm for them but I'm too slow :(

Offline waldorf120

• My keyboard never leaves me bored
I'm a huge Alps fan, but not a fan of the M0110 cap look, nor SP's cheap, thin walled DCS Alps.  I would be in if some more exciting colors were offered, or SP was going to retool their Alps dies.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Just be sure SP gets the stem heights correct and uniform throughout and the set. I know the first run of Alpine Winter had stem issues, and SP had to make corrected sets.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline pngu

• send noots
Any chance this gets split spacebar support?

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
lol dcs... sad because this is a nice looking set

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
lol dcs... sad because this is a nice looking set

i'll call you when you can get ALPS caps somewhere else
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Traveler

I'm interested, but I would need enough keys for a 104 key board. As well as some other issues.

1) My Dell AT101W has a stepped Capslock. Any chance of seeing that in this set?

2) The Cherry mount is incompatible with the alps stabs on the Dell AT101W. But this detail does interest me:

• Cherry MX-style stabilizer inserts. Some of you might be thinking :eek: but I am also working on a new MX+Alps 60% PCB that will hopefully run concurrently with Modern M0110 and this keycap set so you will be able to use PCB-mount Cherry/GMK/Zeal stabs with Alps keycaps. Those of you hardcore Alps hackers have figured out workarounds for sets like Alpine Winter and I'm happy to share my own notes and tips about how to adapt these caps for Alps stabs if anyone wants :)

What kind of modifications do I need to do? Most of the few Alps sets have CHerry MX-style stab mounts, so learning how to modify them to work would be great.

Offline McAshley

Interested!

Offline chicagoboss25

• Desk Candy
Just be sure SP gets the stem heights correct and uniform throughout and the set. I know the first run of Alpine Winter had stem issues, and SP had to make corrected sets.

Quick update on this--as it looks like going the double-shot ABS DCS route is not going to be feasible since I don't want to sell people caps with the knowledge that stems are likely to break off and potentially inside some precious rare Alps switches...  :eek:

Turns out SP can produce dye-sub PBT DCS keycaps with an Alps/Matias-compatible mount called the "1Z mount". The 1Z mount stem is a bit shorter length-wise than the stem that was used in Alpine winter, so I have some concerns that keypresses will bump into the top of switches and not be able to go down all the way, but Melissa sent me some samples so I'll test them on my Alps boards hopefully early next week and report back. If the switches work, then I think the chance of this GB happening is a lot higher. I'll wait until results from that test are back and then circulate a poll for compatibility options (aka adding fullsize, 65% support) so we can narrow down this set.

One more thing... (in true Apple style) I'm happy to say that I'm formally working on this now with Janglad as a complementary collab to Modern M0110. The plan--if the PBT 1Z caps indeed work--is to run this around the same time as Modern M0110 but as a separate GB so you can buy it as a standalone or along with your Modern M0110 kit if you so choose.

Offline chicagoboss25

• Desk Candy
Any chance this gets split spacebar support?

Yes--that's definitely a possibility since I'm also working on an upcoming GB for an MX+Alps-compatible PCB that will support split space. I'll put something about that in the kit poll when it goes out (after checking 1Z PBT stems work OK).

One more thing, it looks like the 1Z mount PBT caps don't have R5 tooling so we would only have 4 row profiles available, so would not be as highly sculpted as other sets.

Offline _ODIN_

(Attachment Link)

Hey folks, it's here!!

I'm very happy to start an interest check thread for my first keycap set and one that is near and dear to me as an Alps and M0110 aficionado. I like the darker beige retro / blighted look of the M0110 caps (not faded, since M0110 had PBT caps) and think in general this is a look that is missing in the current crop of keycap sets. Really excited to get the community's feedback and make this an amazing keycap set for Modern M0110 and other custom 60% Alps builds out there. I started by leaning towards a more basic set, but based on community feedback could expand base set or offer special add-on kits depending on interest.

FEATURES

• Supports Modern M0110, Infinity, AEK, standard ANSI/ISO 60% layouts
  • Signature plastics DCS profile in ABS. For now I've chosen GDV for background and black for legends colors
  • All text mods (NO ICONS) and align mods text in upper left. I think SP's default Gorton font for DCS fits really well here but could potentially use original Cherry font depending on feedback

PRICING

Pricing @ 50 MOQ is pretty high ($200+) so realistically I think 100 MOQ is the most realistic target quantity for this project. SP has increased their pricing a lot in the last few years, so this is going to be more expensive than Alpine Winter. Most likely looking like US$120 @ 100 MOQ and goes down as order quantity goes up. I'm still working out a few more details with Melissa at Signature Plastics as well as listening to feedback so pricing is in no way final right now.

TIMING

Probably makes most sense to run this at the same time as Modern M0110 as that case (as in, the included plate) will come with Alps support out of the box and also the Alps-compatible PCB I mentioned, so you can buy Modern M0110 + keycaps + PCB and put together your own custom Alps version and get all the parts at the same time and in one place. So that being said, Modern M0110 is working through a bit more due diligence to lock down a new shop in the US to produce the cases, so I don't have a hard ETA yet.

POTENTIAL ADD-ONS

• Extra spacebars
  • Split spacebars (the Alps 60% PCB with Cherry stab support will also support split space  :cool:)
  • 65% / Clueboard / VA68M support
  • Other layout support (40% / ortho)?

Thanks!

Would you add a NorDe kit? I am 100% buying the m01101 but the only thing holding me back from getting this set along side of it is the missing kit.
Greetings from Germany:)

Offline schmoktopus

Of course a NorDe kit would be nice, but I guess having a minimalistic and inexpensive GB is one of the main goals right here. I can hardly imagine that the NorDe kit would reach MOQ too.

Offline chicagoboss25

• Desk Candy
Of course a NorDe kit would be nice, but I guess having a minimalistic and inexpensive GB is one of the main goals right here. I can hardly imagine that the NorDe kit would reach MOQ too.

Would love to do this but I think an Alps keycap set is already going to be tough to get over the line because of how high pricing is and Alps is already a niche within a niche :)

I do have a quick update for y'all though. I got some sample keycaps in the 1Z Alps mount from Signature plastics (attached their spec sheet for the mount to show difference from EX mount, which was apparently used for Alpine Winter) and took a bunch of photos to compare 1Z and EX from some Alps DCS keycaps I had laying around for #keyboardscience

Check out the album of the 1Z and EX mount keycaps compared here

I'm going to lend these to my homie Fluffypupper22 at the Socal meetup this Saturday so he can also compare the keycaps to some other Alps caps he has collected and get some thoughts into a video to give you guys a better breakdown of this variation on Alps DCS profile. NOTE: the keycaps I got from Melissa are double-shot ABS but the production keycaps would be dye-sub PBT to dispel confusion about why these aren't dye-subbed in the pics :)

Also straw poll...do you guys like the colorway I proposed that evokes the original Apple M0110?

I'm wondering if we might have a better shot at cross MOQ if we go for an ePBT style beige+gray or even 9009 colorway, with PBT dye-sub we are basically limited to black legends on light(er) backgrounds but maybe we should do something with more universal and classic appeal here.

Offline vewy_nice

I'd definitely say an alps 9009 would be a winner. It's a super popular colorway, especially if it includes the accent colors.

And I had no idea that SP had different alps mounts. 
I am working on some 6.5u AEK spacebars through them, and someone leant me an alpine winter spacebar, and it's DEFINITELY sitting a lot taller than the spacebars I just received. That's good news for me, though!

Offline _ODIN_

Would love to do this but I think an Alps keycap set is already going to be tough to get over the line because of how high pricing is and Alps is already a niche within a niche :)

I do have a quick update for y'all though. I got some sample keycaps in the 1Z Alps mount from Signature plastics (attached their spec sheet for the mount to show difference from EX mount, which was apparently used for Alpine Winter) and took a bunch of photos to compare 1Z and EX from some Alps DCS keycaps I had laying around for #keyboardscience

Check out the album of the 1Z and EX mount keycaps compared here

I'm going to lend these to my homie Fluffypupper22 at the Socal meetup this Saturday so he can also compare the keycaps to some other Alps caps he has collected and get some thoughts into a video to give you guys a better breakdown of this variation on Alps DCS profile. NOTE: the keycaps I got from Melissa are double-shot ABS but the production keycaps would be dye-sub PBT to dispel confusion about why these aren't dye-subbed in the pics :)

Also straw poll...do you guys like the colorway I proposed that evokes the original Apple M0110?

I'm wondering if we might have a better shot at cross MOQ if we go for an ePBT style beige+gray or even 9009 colorway, with PBT dye-sub we are basically limited to black legends on light(er) backgrounds but maybe we should do something with more universal and classic appeal here.
9009 in pbt dye sub with alps mount would be very nice. muted colourway would be nice as well

Offline vewy_nice

Yeah, I feel like it's going to come down to a decision between "True-to-form" and "Actually hitting MOQ"

Especially since an "authentic look" would only really come from this set, plus the M0110 in cerakote beige.

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
I would really just like another Alpine Winters run to happen again, this may have to do

Offline _ODIN_

this keyset has to happen in some way. I have aleready bought orange alps switches for the modern m0110. :)

Offline chicagoboss25

• Desk Candy
Hey folks,

Please fill out the IC form here!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe4nqvRokTJY9D2tyJ89J94aR3WiZaEL3-sTGds55uW3V5C6A/viewform

Basically collecting feedback on colors and kits to see if there is significant interest in a more classic colorway (beige + grey + maybe some colored accents) and layouts outside of universal 60%. You can also leave your feedback and questions directly here or send myself or Janglad a PM. Thanks!

Offline lanyusea

Hey folks,

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe4nqvRokTJY9D2tyJ89J94aR3WiZaEL3-sTGds55uW3V5C6A/viewform

Basically collecting feedback on colors and kits to see if there is significant interest in a more classic colorway (beige + grey + maybe some colored accents) and layouts outside of universal 60%. You can also leave your feedback and questions directly here or send myself or Janglad a PM. Thanks!

seems I come too late...
HHKB Type-s / 4x KMAC Happy / 3x Duck Viper v1 / 2x Duck Viper v2 / 4x Duck Viper Duck TCV3 / Red Scarf 77 / 2x Infinity 60 / 2x ALF HHKB / LZ-CE / FJELL / Canoe / Canoe PC / Canoe FE / ARES Prototype / 2x Ares / LC-CLSh / TX60 / YODA2 / E6-V2 / E6-V2 FE / CAMP LC60 / 2x EM 7 / 4x Leaf 60 / UHK / Project F / Polaris / 4x Duck Viper v3 / TX60 v2 / Thermal / Matrix Falcon / TX60 v3 / 2x TMO50 / 2x Dolice / Dolphin 65 / Dolphin 60 / Plenty of keycaps

Offline GeneriksGiraffe

• Living the Rubber Life
I just want to give this thread a bump because of how awesome this is. This may be everyone's only chance to get a fantastic recreation of the OG M0110 when this keyset is paired with the cerakoted beige Modern M0110.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 April 2018, 21:29:59 by GeneriksGiraffe »

Offline Tarienn

Consider this a 100% buy for me (along with the PCB) when the M0110 GB comes out :D

I must have missed the IC form...

Offline schmoktopus

And imagine this with an OG Coil Cable by Donutcables... Gorgeous!

Offline midnight2903

Missed the IC form but would definitely join if it's at $120 price point. Wanna change my Alps64 to HHKB-ish layout :D

Offline Fluffypupper22

Here's a comparison of the 1Z caps and some popular Alps keycap sets

Offline chicagoboss25

• Desk Candy
Hey folks,

seems I come too late...

Missed the IC form but would definitely join if it's at $120 price point. Wanna change my Alps64 to HHKB-ish layout :D

Consider this a 100% buy for me (along with the PCB) when the M0110 GB comes out :D

I must have missed the IC form...

Hey folks, just re-opened the IC form in case you want to chime in, I think there is a pretty clear consensus to shift gears on colorway here but in terms of additional kits, this seems to be the consensus:

• TKL/65% (F-row + nav + arrow keys)
  • Ortholinear (Planck/Preonic etc)
  • Split spacebar

I am working up possible kit layouts right now for community feedback and pricing (from SP).

Offline chicagoboss25

• Desk Candy
Here's a comparison of the 1Z caps and some popular Alps keycap sets

Thanks Fluffy!

Awesome to meet up with Fluffypupper22 at the last meetup and play around with each others Alps boards :P

Anyways...here's my latest thinking on colorway and kits. I really like how this is drawing inspiration from the original M0110, IBM Industrial Model M, in some ways also the WhiteFox with blue accents but also allows for that super classic gray+beige colorway that goes with pretty much any keyboard. I broke it down into 5 kits so that arrows is a bit more modular (you can get it for ortholinear or Nav/65% kit or both) and there are just a pinch of colorful accents in a nice blue throughout.

194656-0

In case anyone is interested, here are the Signature Plastics PBT color codes I have picked in this version:

Alphas: WDG
Mods: GQP
Accent: BCT

Offline lanyusea

HHKB Type-s / 4x KMAC Happy / 3x Duck Viper v1 / 2x Duck Viper v2 / 4x Duck Viper Duck TCV3 / Red Scarf 77 / 2x Infinity 60 / 2x ALF HHKB / LZ-CE / FJELL / Canoe / Canoe PC / Canoe FE / ARES Prototype / 2x Ares / LC-CLSh / TX60 / YODA2 / E6-V2 / E6-V2 FE / CAMP LC60 / 2x EM 7 / 4x Leaf 60 / UHK / Project F / Polaris / 4x Duck Viper v3 / TX60 v2 / Thermal / Matrix Falcon / TX60 v3 / 2x TMO50 / 2x Dolice / Dolphin 65 / Dolphin 60 / Plenty of keycaps

Offline schmoktopus

I like the original design way better.
The market is more or less flooded with grey/white keysets, I think you should take this set as a chance to create something different.
Not saying this is bad in general, but keeping it all grey is something new and refreshing, obviously more original, too.

Offline GeneriksGiraffe

• Living the Rubber Life
I like the original design way better.
The market is more or less flooded with grey/white keysets, I think you should take this set as a chance to create something different.
Not saying this is bad in general, but keeping it all grey is something new and refreshing, obviously more original, too.

Yup, me as well

Offline vewy_nice

The all grey might not be the most appealing to a mass audience, but I feel like it'd be more appealing to the relevant audience than "another beige/grey" set. I agree with all above.

I'd say either keep it all grey, or do something REALLY crazy and see if it sticks ;)

All the compatibility is nice, too!

Also: Spacebars in ABS? I tried to buy PBT spacebars for my AEK spacebar replacements and SP said "Lol no." If they somehow figured it out in between, I'm gunna be a little peeved, to say the least...
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 April 2018, 06:59:29 by vewy_nice »

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
Interested
keyboards.

Offline waldorf120

• My keyboard never leaves me bored
While there is some merit to keeping it "OG", you're not going to hit MOQ that way.  Alps is niche enough that you need a colorway with broad appeal, not just one that pays homage to one particular keyboard.

Offline heavyheaded

I prefer the original as well

Offline _ODIN_

i like the look. But it is most important for me that it stays PBT.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Man i really want this set but it probably won't hit MOQ :(.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline _ODIN_

Man i really want this set but it probably won't hit MOQ :(.
would be really unfortunate :(