Author Topic: Pandora 60% - Koob's premium universal case - 4.5lb RGB ANSI/ISO/WKL/HHKB  (Read 52037 times)

Offline Koobaczech

• Don't forget to smile :)
    • Pearlboards
I've talked with Exclusive and he and I both understand the situation. This is simply an Interest Check. Pearl went through 3 revisions, its not the end of the world if something needs change. And even Pearl wasn't a unique design, it was a JD45 upgraded with what I wanted in it. My main interest isn't copying people or designs, its making a board I'm happy with. And there are many examples of boards that contribute design to themselves. Look at the Revo One, Duck Poker and Klippe. They are pretty much all the same. Ill be looking at what can be improved and changed, so that everyone including Exclusive is happy :)

Offline Snappo

• meme
People seem more concerned about calling something a copy than they are trying to improve the design.

Does exclusive have a copyright on nameplates and middle pieces now? 

As far as I see it, its different for exclusive himself to be upset. From others its just gatekeeping designs.

However, I think I would actually like it more without the middle piece and nameplate. :p

Yea I am not have copyright on nameplate and middle pieces

So it mean ppl can copy whatever they want  as long as they have no copyright is it ?

That's not quite my point. I worded it poorly, sorry.

What I meant was because you did that with your board, does that mean other community members cannot have middle pieces and nameplates now? 

If you feel this design is too close to yours, then I can understand that. Talk to koob about it.

As I've said, I'm in favour of removing the nameplate and middle piece. This should have differentiate the two boards more, and would look cleaner to me. Would this satisfy you excluisve?
This is not about make me satisfaction dont throw the topic on that

you're not the designer for the pandora, it's not your responsibility to make sure it does not copy other boards. koob should make his own unique design for 60% and not change it a minimal amount to stop complaints, the pearl was a unique design, no one could confuse it with another 40%
he should also make pandora a unique design

I never said it was my job, just that I was in favour of it.

Fair point about the rest tho.

Offline Snappo

• meme
I've talked with Exclusive and he and I both understand the situation. This is simply an Interest Check. Pearl went through 3 revisions, its not the end of the world if something needs change. And even Pearl wasn't a unique design, it was a JD45 upgraded with what I wanted in it. My main interest isn't copying people or designs, its making a board I'm happy with. And there are many examples of boards that contribute design to themselves. Look at the Revo One, Duck Poker and Klippe. They are pretty much all the same. Ill be looking at what can be improved and changed, so that everyone including Exclusive is happy :)

:thumb:

Looking forward to see what you come up with then.

Question, would there be an option to have the weight not pvd, like the pearls? 

Offline Koobaczech

• Don't forget to smile :)
    • Pearlboards
Definitely man! PVD, cable routing, the nameplate, LED holes, these were all experiments to see how they came out, and see how the designs can expand. Now that I have a comparison, anything can be done. Thanks for all the contributions buddy!

Offline cijanzen

Having touched the exposed pearl brass, I’d be all for PVD to avoid the staining that occurs from fingerprints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mangoes

I got to see this in person, and MAN OH MAN it's ****ing beautiful. I can't wait for everyone to get the same opportunity!

Offline peggisan

Not a big fan of the nameplate, but I really love how the side of the case looks.

Offline KorbenDallas

Color me excited! Really digging the options. If everything pans out I’d be down for one :thumb:

Offline mgsickler

Looks great Koob!

Offline cijanzen

I really like that you’re going for universal 60% pcb support so we can use whatever we want without having to worry about buying extras out of fear of a failure. Also allows for any firmware. Good call!

Offline lordgiblite

Wow, looks like I'm a little late to the party since I'm in the process of moving and all that jazz (you know only 1 day late, but still)

Honestly love the look of this board! I love the design choices and extra little nuances that make it unique :D

Yes, it may look similar to an E6V2 but if you really look at them its just a "similar" design philosophy being the middle piece to do that (alright enough beating a dead horse)

I'm really looking forward to seeing what changes and revisions you make Koob! You know I'm in for one! (you know just let me save up okay?)

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
Really interested in this. Don't mind the midplate or nameplate but I don't mind them not being there either.

If I have cash when the GB starts, i'm super in.
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline dantambok

The sides look really nice. I could do with or without the nameplate as well! One thing i'm concerned about is that 400$ seems a bit.. high?
Stuff  I have
More
2x TGR Alice / TGR 910 RE / TGR 910 CE / TGR 910 VKC / 2x TGR Jane V2 / 2x Matrix 2.0 / Matrix 2.2 / Matrix 1.2OG / Lyn Whale v2 / Lyn EM7 v3 / DK Saver / Keycult No. 1/60 /  Quantrik Hachi /  Quantrik  Kyuu / Duck Orion V2 / TGRxSinga Unikorn R1 / 2x Unikorn 2.2 / Quantrik QXP /  JER80 / TMO50 / 2x 86u / ION i69 / LZ MP / 2x FMJ80 / TGR Jane V2 CE / Matrix Project F / IDB60 / is0  / MXSS / Atom TKL / Duck Viper v3 / HBCP / Noxary 280 / LZ Physix / FLX Virgo / Modern M0110 / Matrix 2.0 ADD / TGR Police / Noxary XRF / Noxary Vulcan Pro / 350 Mimi / Matrix 2.0CP / Kira80 / Exent 65% / FMJ60 / Haus 65 / Kikuichimonji / Cake 60 / 2x AU Unikorn  Commission/ LZ XE / Paraluman 60 / AI03 Andromeda / Dalco 959 Mini GT / LZ Erghost /  Finder Works Hyphen / 2x Singa Kohaku / Linworks EM8 / GAFxTGR 910 / TGRxKLC Dolice / TGR 910v2 ME / Noxary Valhalla / Hiney Ibis / LZ REs / PerryWorks MC65 / Hiney Poly TKL One / RS60 / Zekk RBB / QK80 / Keycult No 2 TKL / FLX Virgo r2 / Matrix Navi

Coming --   Lynx50 (wixx scammed us) / Ladybird60 / JJW Derivative / TGR Shi

100+ GMK sets

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
looking good koob. will definitely have to save up to join this one.

Offline Vigrith

This is not about make me satisfaction dont throw the topic on that

you're not the designer for the pandora, it's not your responsibility to make sure it does not copy other boards. koob should make his own unique design for 60% and not change it a minimal amount to stop complaints, the pearl was a unique design, no one could confuse it with another 40%
he should also make pandora a unique design

Whilst I also think that middle pieces and nameplates on 60% boards shouldn't be out of bounds for other members of the community because of the E6, I absolutely agree with what's said here by Exclusive.

This isn't about him, this is about the Pandora and its design. It should satisfy Koob first and foremost and the community by association - not Exclusive. The Pearl is an incredibly distinctive board, so much so that I've considered buying one aftermarket (which is something I never do) even though I don't think I'd use a 40% much. This project can and should have the same potential for an end product as the Pearl did.

PS: I see the situation appears resolved, I'm glad.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 July 2018, 09:02:46 by Vigrith »

Offline fine_italian_leather

The Pearl is an incredibly distinctive board, so much so that I've considered buying one aftermarket (which is something I never do) even though I don't think I'd use a 40% much. This project can and should have the same potential for an end product as the Pearl did.

Agreed. The Pearl looks cute as heck, I too almost got one despite not really liking 40's.

I alluded to this in my earlier post but I personally was actually kind of hoping this board would stick closer to the design of the Pearl.

Offline Duckunderscore

lemme buy a proto real quick C:

Offline BobCarltheThird

The Pearl is an incredibly distinctive board, so much so that I've considered buying one aftermarket (which is something I never do) even though I don't think I'd use a 40% much. This project can and should have the same potential for an end product as the Pearl did.

Agreed. The Pearl looks cute as heck, I too almost got one despite not really liking 40's.

I alluded to this in my earlier post but I personally was actually kind of hoping this board would stick closer to the design of the Pearl.

I love custom keyboards that weigh an absolute ton. the Pearl was awesome because there were next to no cutouts to save weight. I'm kind if disappointed that we aren't getting the same design in a larger footprint this time around.
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline odd

I missed the Pearl I'm not going to miss this  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 July 2018, 19:39:49 by odd »

Offline Starston3

Pandora Pearl combo? plz

Offline krey

yesssssssss, very happy to see this happening.

really like the design in general (especially indicator holes), but would like it better if the side bezels were a little bit beefier.
Kepler FC65 | 7v | Think6.5 v1 | Maja | G60 | TX75v2 | Fjell | Klippe x2 | Acrylic Tofu | CA66 | Norbaforce

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
Love love love LOVE this design. I'm all in for those light indicators and a slim bezel design. The fact that it could incorporate a universal PCB which allows split spacebar layour makes it a must buy for me. Have you ever considered allowing some space for battery placement for a bluetooth pcb?

Offline MeloDet

Count me in as someone who would seriously like to see non universal plate options. It gets a little harder to justify at this price point imo.

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
Really hope to see this coming into GB phase.

Offline lac29

I like this a lot too! Are most people planning on pairing this with a Zeal60 pcb?

Offline cijanzen

I like this a lot too! Are most people planning on pairing this with a Zeal60 pcb?

I would go with the DZ60. More layout options and the underglow is more important than RGB switch LEDs for me.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"

GH60 satan cause i'm weird

but i might not have cash to get one when the time comes so we'll see
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline olivia

I will probably use a HS60 :D

Offline satricion

I liked the pearl a lot but 40% is not for me so I would possibly be in on this. I think it looks great.

Offline Yeoh

I can live with switchtop removal, but with a dedicated ANSI plate this would be an insta-buy for me.

Offline gutsack

I feel like this IC got absolutely clobbered by the initial reaction about the design similarities and such and lost all momentum—any chance we could get an update about plans for it? Still super excited but curious about what might/might not change.

Offline BobCarltheThird

I feel like this IC got absolutely clobbered by the initial reaction about the design similarities and such and lost all momentum—any chance we could get an update about plans for it? Still super excited but curious about what might/might not change.

I think he went back to the drawing board after the huge push back from the community and Exclusive. Maybe we'll get an update on the new board design soon.
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
I think having the mid piece and an acrylic layer is a bit much... perhaps a thick acrylic mid piece for those that want that? Anyway, I really like the direction you're heading with this!

Offline cijanzen

I think having the mid piece and an acrylic layer is a bit much... perhaps a thick acrylic mid piece for those that want that? Anyway, I really like the direction you're heading with this!

I agree that it would be clean with just a simple top and bottom piece like the Pearl with the optional acrylic mid piece. Would simplify the design and bring it more in line with the Pearl design.

Offline duckboi

I agree that it would be clean with just a simple top and bottom piece like the Pearl with the optional acrylic mid piece. Would simplify the design and bring it more in line with the Pearl design.

To be fair Koob has said that he does not want to just make a "60% Pearl." He's pushing for something a bit different, and I personally really like the way he's going.
The m0ar empty you feel,  the m0ar space for Keycaps..

Offline cijanzen

To be fair Koob has said that he does not want to just make a "60% Pearl." He's pushing for something a bit different, and I personally really like the way he's going.

I also like the design as is or at least in the direction it’s going. I suppose my feedback would only be relevant if there was a goal of more consistency between the two designs.

Offline Muiju

Take my money
its yo girl

LZ CLSm | mech27v2 | DC60 | E7-V1 |  x1.1

lubed filmed Tealios <3

Offline Snappo

• meme
I can live with switchtop removal, but with a dedicated ANSI plate this would be an insta-buy for me.

^^^^

Offline ItsAllen

+1 for Florida! Woohoo! This thing looks awesome!

Offline Jkush463

want for sure this looks beautiful.

Offline petamva

This looks cool. Definitely in!

Offline lasernasaur

Re: Pandora 60% - Koob's premium universal case - 4.5lb RGB ANSI/ISO/WKL/HHKB
« Reply #91 on: Fri, 03 August 2018, 23:22:05 »
Already have money on the side for this! So excited!

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #92 on: Sat, 04 August 2018, 07:49:46 »
Ditch the name plate. That will differentiate it enough.
keyboards.

Offline DJSwayde

« Reply #93 on: Sat, 04 August 2018, 16:12:02 »
I would personally want no nameplate and sharper corners.
Mains: Bakers CL64 (silver)   |   CannonKeys Bakeneko60 (black)   |   Carolina Mech Palmetto (black)   |   LSJ Ares (silver)   |   LZ CLS h (silver)   |   Monokei Kei R1 (standard red, HHKB)   |   PFU Limited HHKB Pro 1 (PD-KB300BN)   |   PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 (PD-KB400B)   |   PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (PD-KB400WS)   |   SINGAKBD x TGR Unikorn R1 (black)   |   Weaston GSKT-00 R1 (gray [re-anodized silver, HHKB])   |   Weaston GSKT-00-Z (silver, AEK HHKB)

Alps: Apple Extended Keyboard II (M3501, Taiwanese)   |   Apple Standard Keyboard (M0116, US)   |   Dell AT101 (GYI3PVAT101, US)    |   IBM Multistation 5556-001 (Chinese)   |   IBM P70 (ANSI-US, 06-89)   |   MET Micro Officer 6000 (R315-00)   |   SGI AT-101 "Beige"   |   Zenith Data Systems TurbosPORT 386
Cherry: G80-3000LPCXY-2 #1   |   G80-3000LPCXY-2 #2   |   G80-3485LWNUS #1 (Das Keyboard II)   |   G80-3485LWNUS #2 (Das Keyboard II)   |   G81-1281SAW (Zenith Data Systems)   |   G81-3000SAT   |   G81-3090SAQ (Schneider)   |   G81-3100SEBUS
Topre: PFU Limited HHKB Blank (charcoal [PD-KB300BN])   |   PFU Limited HHKB Printed (charcoal [PD-KB400B])   |   PFU Limited HHKB Printed (gray [PD-KB400WS])   |   Realforce 91UDK-G (NG02B0)   |   Realforce 103UB (SE42B0)   |   Realforce Taiwanese kit (dark gray)   |   Sony BKE-9400A   |   Sony MKS-8050

Collection

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #94 on: Sat, 04 August 2018, 16:48:47 »
Honestly, it looks like a E6-V2 clone with some personal touches. The roundness, nameplate, and mid piece together make it look too close to be respectable.

There are a lot of other design choices that I won't comment on, since I don't think they really matter in retrospect. I can see a lot changing from now to group buy :p

But wait. It will be "fairly" priced "just" under four hundred bucks!  :))

Offline mr scooty

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 06 August 2018, 13:15:20 »
stoked for this  ;D ;D

Offline bard

« Reply #96 on: Mon, 06 August 2018, 14:04:46 »
any chance for MAO or white color?

Offline sythie

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 07 August 2018, 15:54:55 »
Love the sunken keycaps with the rounded edges!
Are you planning on offering that black middle part in different colors aswell and is it aluminum?

Are you set on the aluminum type for the case? Or I would suggest checking aluminum 7075.
I haven't tried it myself but I have seen multiple cases now using it for its more durable properties and would I very much like to try it out.
The latest Southpaw GB offered cases in both aluminum 6061 and 7075 even.

I would personally want no nameplate and sharper corners.
I second this although I like the soft corners of the inside of the case but not the corners outside of the case.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 August 2018, 16:02:53 by sythie »

Offline petamva

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 08 August 2018, 06:22:17 »
Everytime i check out geekhack i stop by this ic just to take a look at your keeb... Looks awesome man! Definitely in for one! Keep us updated!

Offline Zilleon

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 08 August 2018, 08:30:57 »
I absolutely love it. I'm in if it happens.

Since you mentioned being subject to change, a ortholinear plate would be amazing and unique (would be the only premium top mount ortholinear ever seen wouldn't it?)