Author Topic: Hi there  (Read 2621 times)

Offline sridhar

Hi there
« on: Fri, 07 September 2018, 01:01:23 »
I am from India but now live in Australia.

I recently researching on keyboards after figuring out that my keyboard (Apple Magic wireless) is not letting me type as fast as I can. I don't game at all.

I tried these boards:

Topre Realforce 87U variable weight - Found myself applying more force to press than I would like to.

Kinesis Advantage 2 - Found pressing the symbols (I do a lot of coding) difficult and cumbersome. These are my exact thoughts.

Code keyboard with MX Clears - This was ok.

Das Keyboard 4 for Mac with Cherry MX Blue switches - This was ok.

Havit HV-KB390L with Kailh blues - Liked the low profile and it felt better.

Finally concluded that I prefer scissor type low-travel chiclet type of keyboards which require v. low force to actuate (spoilt by Apple's keyboards for years perhaps?) and ordered a Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Desktop. Waiting for this to arrive.

If I were to try another mechanical keyboard, it will be one with Gateron Clears as they only need 35g force apparently. But not much choice in the market with these switches.

Offline NTwoO

Re: Hi there
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 04:23:56 »
Hi, I read your blog post and find your situation interesting. The bias you mentioned for the Kinesis Advantage is something that also recurs in the reviews. A couple of reviews and my finding included are that the Kinesis takes time to fall in love with and not all will do so. I love my Advantage, but would not recommend it to anyone. Your ridiculously high speed of 150wpm is maybe more of a hindrance than an advantage for the adaptation, I guess. Any change in keyboard will be an added frustration since you have to slow down so much with it.

The gripes you have with placement is something that puzzles me. In also using vim profusely I swapped the esc and caps keys. Since almost all my text interfaces use a vim plugin or run straight in vim, I don't use home/end/pageup/pagedn often. End and pagedn I remapped to also work with shift. This makes ctrl+shift very simple. I also very rarely used the delete button, so delete and alt are swapped so that alt+tab and other combo's are easier to reach. I also ordered a foot pedal. I think I'll remap the function keys and some other keys onto the keymap layer (or onto a separate layer) so that working with ide's will work better. In the keypad layer I already have c,v,x mapped to ctrl+c,ctrl+v and ctrl+x so that I can use my mouse with cut/copy/paste simply. Basically the ability to remap the keyboard simply and quickly is one of the great advantages of the Advantage. The maps are also human readable and easy to backup or transfer to your new keyboard. This might be a solution for your symbols.

Your gripes about the layout, especially the ~ and the ] keys are common complaints. I think the buttons of the pinky row should be slightly smaller to accommodate the small arc of that finger. It would be interesting to test such a board to see if it has an ill effect.

I hope you find a solution for your keyboard conundrum. Since switching to an orthogonal layout keypad I doubt that I would like to switch back to staggered and don't think that it is a compromise one should make just because 90% of keyboards are built like that. The width of my shoulders make a keyboard where my hands are right next to each other extremely painful, but if you are fortunate enough not to have that problem, then you could look at orthogonal layout keyboards that ar more regular shaped.  Maybe the Truly Ergonomic Keyboard, the Ergodox or the Dactyl is an option.