Author Topic: How much caffeine can one intake before it becomes unhealthy?  (Read 2163 times)

Offline yuppie

How much caffeine can one intake before it becomes unhealthy?
« on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 15:25:14 »
Need some numbers over here.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
Re: How much caffeine can one intake before it becomes unhealthy?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 15:27:22 »
If you intake 150-200 mg per kg of bodymass it's a Lethal Dose for 50% of humans (LD50).
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 15:33:33 »
It's a stimulant..  as addicting as cigarettes..

Depending on how you're using it, and WHY you're using it..   it can be bad..

If you're staying up late (playing vidya),  then you're tired in the morning at work.. you take stims to make up for the lack of sleep. THIS is bad.. as you will age significantly faster due to chronic sleep loss.

If you always sleep 7-9 hours,   and only drink coffee when an unexpected deadline comes along and you have to put in overtime,   THIS is acceptable / productive use..

If you're bored, and in between getting high on marijuana while your legs are restless waiting for the dealer to show up, you drink coffee,  this is bad..

Pretty straight forward...

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 15:35:17 »
No, it is not as addicting as nicotine. Nicotine is one of the three most addictive substances known: the other two being cocaine and heroin.

Offline yuppie

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 15:42:35 »

If you're staying up late (playing vidya),  then you're tired in the morning at work.. you take stims to make up for the lack of sleep. THIS is bad.. as you will age significantly faster due to chronic sleep loss.

If you always sleep 7-9 hours,   and only drink coffee when an unexpected deadline comes along and you have to put in overtime,   THIS is acceptable / productive use..

If you're bored, and in between getting high on marijuana while your legs are restless waiting for the dealer to show up, you drink coffee,  this is bad..

This is the answer I was looking for.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 15:44:10 »
No, it is not as addicting as nicotine. Nicotine is one of the three most addictive substances known: the other two being cocaine and heroin.

Newwwrrpp..

Coffee is as addicting as cigarettes..

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 15:59:43 »

I need to rethink my life choices...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 16:03:55 »

I need to rethink my life choices...

It's a big deal, because you can't Recover Sleep..

If you lost 15% of sleep for a whole year.. that' is 15% less recovery time for your whole body.

You can never get that time back, ontop of the fact that your recovery rate is always dropping as age increases..

You have to SLEEP NOW to the Maximum amount..   

Of course that's not what the Oligarchs who own you wants, but if one never exercises that choice, well... No one else to blame

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 17:30:14 »
A pot a day and you'll be OK

More than 12 cups and your stomach erupts

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 00:28:04 »

2 out of 3, maybe it is time to go for the trifecta.

Offline Carcharocles

• Location: In the lonely, desolate wasteland of South Kansas City
    • The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 01:00:13 »
An honorable mention is alcohol: while not as addictive as Nicotine (almost everyone who uses nicotine becomes addicted, but alcoholism isn't nearly as widespread in regards to drinkers), the habit is incredibly hard to kick if you do become an alcoholic. And dangerous as well--the DT's can and do kill. I had a sort-of-uncle (my cousins' grandfather, but through their father's side, to whom I'm not related by blood) who literally drank so hard for so long that quitting drinking would have been instant death even with medication. I also have a great grandmother to whom I am blood related who actually died because her daughter forced her to stop drinking without easing her off (a neighbor had told her to give her a teaspoon of liquor a day; my grandmother, like so many people, didn't realize why and refused to do so. She felt guilty about it until the day she died.)

Probably a good idea to point out that Nicotine not only gets its hooks on you very quickly, but absolutely refuses to let go. Some people can quit cold turkey, but most can't. Caffeine isn't nearly as addicting, as it's easier to quit and it definitely doesn't cause the severe psychological problems quitting a nicotine habit causes. That said, quitting Caffeine is hard, both because it can be addictive and because it's literally everywhere in society.

Unlike nicotine however, a lot of doctors recommend a moderate caffeine intake to help with weight loss. Both are stimulants, but caffeine is much easier to manage. These doctors however recommend it be taken as black coffee, which can be hard to pull off unless you either like very bitter hot beverages or have the skill, money, equipment and know-how to make a proper cup of coffee.
T1000 , Firmware ver. Doge.

Most deadly of them all.
Keyboards: Drevo Gramr (Outemu Browns); Logitech K480

Offline iri

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 05:12:30 »
Can confirm, nicotine is ****ing addictive while caffeine is not.

Quitting nicotine took me three weeks of misery.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 05:23:21 »

2 out of 3, maybe it is time to go for the trifecta.

Y'all think it's the most widely used stimulant by accident ?

Offline Kavik

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 16:38:54 »
Caffeine is easy to kick. It just causes one or two headaches, and, a week later, you're good.

I've never smoked habitually, but I did smoke cigarettes and cigars occasionally for a couple years as a social thing during the winter (sit in a shack with a potbelly stove and stoke it up). I never understood why it was pleasurable or how anyone could feel addicted to it. The only effect I ever felt was slight appetite suppression, or nausea in the case of cigars. I know it's a physical addiction, but it just seems weird that someone could do it enough to cause that effect.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.