geekhack Community > Keyboards

Optimus Aux Keyboard Prototype

(1/1)

Bodibo:
http://gizmodo.com/5068725/optimus-aux-prototype-looking-prototypical

lowpoly:
Are those Cherry MLs?

Ulysses31:
Oh dear, another disappointing, compromised Lebedev product?  I'm getting really tired of a guy who can invent but can't execute.  I love the idea of having a keyboard with customisable legends.  But there are delays.  The displays themselves are far smaller than the key-cap itself, roughly a third of the area, limiting what you can actually display.  The keys themselves (i'm talking about the Optimus btw) are weird non-standard shapes because he's tried to scrimp and save and use the same shaped keys for just about every function instead of going to the trouble of making extra moulds The keyboards are insanely expensive and to top it all off, the switch technology isn't even the best out there.  So first he tries to fob people off with a gorgeous but pointless device with three keys (was it three or four, I don't remember) and now he's trying to flog us a numpad-like creation... it has more than three keys!  Why he's not working for Apple, i've no idea.  Hopefully a plucky Chinese chap who knows a thing or two about engineering and manufacturing will steal this idea and turn it into a practical reality.

Eclairz:
I know the previous optimus used cherry ML keyswitches so it is quite likely. Probably due to reduced keystroke length and so the keys will be less wobbly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version