geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

Muri ONE: Low Profile Wireless TKL

<< < (3/5) > >>

aabbcc:
This looks amazing! I'd 100% buy one if it didn't have the wrist pad (which also seems a bit uncecesary since it so low profile, it also adds unecesery depth to an otherwise beauitfully designed keyboard imo).

You don't have any plans on making a full size version?

Altain:
I found this project to be strikingly creative. Please keep up the good work!

ice9js:
I appreciate the kind words, thank you!

--- Quote from: aabbcc on Tue, 25 May 2021, 17:32:27 ---I'd 100% buy one if it didn't have the wrist pad

--- End quote ---

I realize it might not be everyone's preference although for me, personally, it definitely makes a very noticeable difference. Apart from the typing position, because it's a large piece of metal it also helps keep my hands from sweating for longer - very desirable feature for myself. As an added bonus, it also makes it pleasant to use on your lap.
But yes, so with the updated design, there's a number of new opportunities - the battery fits in the area under the slider now so technically it's possible to get rid of the wrist pad.
Now I'm wondering whether it should be removable or just an entirely separate version without it. If I make it removable, it's probably better for user experience as you get to decide and reduces the unique part count but then I either end up with very sharp corners on the bottom or I have to sacrifice the 'seamless' transition.
For now all I can say the idea is in the back of my head and I'm giving it time - but I'm open to a compromise here.

--- Quote from: aabbcc on Tue, 25 May 2021, 17:32:27 ---You don't have any plans on making a full size version?

--- End quote ---

No. But I'll hopefully do you one better: how does a wireless numpad sound?
It'd feature the same design that I end up with, possibly a screen in place of the top row and a slider as well (need some space for the battery and besides, would make for a very nice media pad).
You could connect it to the 'main' keyboard so it acts as a split, or to your computer directly if you prefer, but that it would also have some basic standalone functions like a calculator etc.
By being detachable you can place it wherever it suits you most or get it out of the way completely - and obviously if you don't want it you don't buy it.

That's the idea. I'm still at an early stage and the keycaps are the biggest question mark at the moment, followed up by getting the case manufactured. Once I've solved these two problems I'll probably be able to say more on how viable it is for me to do the numpad immediately or if it'd need to be a follow up project and how that'd work then.

azhdar:
Orion is a name that is already known in custom keyboards:
Exemple : https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=109033.0
The maker is Duck, a Korean designer, he has already made a few versions of the Orion.

If you don't want to rub anyone the wrong way, you should reconsider the name.

ice9js:

--- Quote from: azhdar on Wed, 26 May 2021, 03:56:25 ---If you don't want to rub anyone the wrong way...

--- End quote ---

Not if I can help it, no. Thank you for pointing it out, I was initially using it as a codename and I wasn't aware it was a thing already so I just updated the title.
Sorry for any confusion - I'll try to come up with a new name soon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version